Question PS5 price?

"We we modified a compute unit in such a way as to make it very close to the SPU’s in PlayStation 3".

Time stamped at 44:40. Is there a little smile when he's saying that?

Its a bit a leap to to say theres a cell processor in the ps5. theres alot more to cell processor than just SPUs

Its a bit a leap to to say theres a cell processor in the ps5. theres alot more to cell processor than just SPUs

The other components of the PS3's cell are not an issue - DMA, L2 cache, the CPU - the vector processing units (the SPUs) are the bit that's hard to emulate.

I paid 800 for my amp and 1200 for my TV so 500 will be an absolute bargain for the spec. I spent 1200 on a PC too but that's s only midrange. The gen after 5 I predict the slow death of PC as the difference in fidelity becomes neglible.

I paid 800 for my amp and 1200 for my TV so 500 will be an absolute bargain for the spec. I spent 1200 on a PC too but that's s only midrange. The gen after 5 I predict the slow death of PC as the difference in fidelity becomes neglible.
no chance the next gen graphics cards will eat ps5 and xsx

no chance the next gen graphics cards will eat ps5 and xsx
I'd seriously concerned a move back to consoles looking at the new generation but I've decided against it. As it is my PC is slightly more powerful I'd assume (RTX 2070Super) already and I've quite a digital library

Console vs PC argument will never change, you'll always get better quality on PC, but you pay for it. I was looking at specs for Assetto Corsa Competizione, to get 4k60 it seems you need £1k+ worth of video card alone.

I don't think they're really meant to compete with each other.

Last edited:
Console vs PC argument will never change, you'll always get better quality on PC, but you pay for it. I was looking at specs for Assetto Corsa Competizione, to get 4k60 it seems you need £1k+ worth of video card alone.

I don't think they're really meant to compete with each other.
my PC plays that at mid-high settings @ 3440x1440 so I doubt you need a £1k graphics card for it

Consoles use to be about multiplayer split screen, but that seems to have died a death in recent times thanks to the internet.

Best days on a console were completing halo 1-3 on all difficulty levels with a mate on his 360 which would randomly throw up the red ring of death until we threw a few PC fans on it...

Consoles use to be about multiplayer split screen, but that seems to have died a death in recent times thanks to the internet.

Best days on a console were completing halo 1-3 on all difficulty levels with a mate on his 360 which would randomly throw up the red ring of death until we threw a few PC fans on it...

Yeah it's shame many don't offer it these days but I think hardware limitations make it too much of a technical challenge to do it and maintain decent frames and visuals. That said, I am hopeful with the additional power of next gen hardware, the split screen option may become a more viable offering again. Dirt 5 has already announced it'll have 4 player split screen so hopefully a positive indicator.

Pinch of salt required, but ....

£349/£449 and 20th November.

You just have to look at all the links posted in this thread with different prices to know that no one has a clue apart from Sony. Until they say anything about it I just wouldn't even entertain anything else posted online.

November release makes sense as that grab the xmas crowd. Oct would be better though, as obv not everyone can afford to shell out ~500 notes without saving.

November release makes sense as that grab the xmas crowd. Oct would be better though, as obv not everyone can afford to shell out ~500 notes without saving.
Surely Nov would be better for those saving too then? Gives them longer to save.

Surely Nov would be better for those saving too then? Gives them longer to save.
In my experience, the prices tend to skyrocket weeks before Xmas due to stock issues. If they launch in October, it will give them time to restock.

In my experience, the prices tend to skyrocket weeks before Xmas due to stock issues. If they launch in October, it will give them time to restock.
I dont think I've ever seen that happen at all from the main shops on a console release.

Perhaps on ebay via the scalpers but not at a proper shop / Internet retailer.

I dont think I've ever seen that happen at all from the main shops on a console release.

Perhaps on ebay via the scalpers but not at a proper shop / Internet retailer.
Yep all console launches near xmas, of recent times, once their initial launch allocation is sold out, they don’t get any more stock until the new year.

If anything, this years launch will be even worse for stock with Coronavirus causing lots of the factories making the PS5 to close, there will definitely be less stock available than when the PS3/PS4 launched.

Yep all console launches near xmas, of recent times, once their initial launch allocation is sold out, they don’t get any more stock until the new year.

If anything, this years launch will be even worse for stock with Coronavirus causing lots of the factories making the PS5 to close, there will definitely be less stock available than when the PS3/PS4 launched.
Oh I know there is the stock issues. It's the prices sky rocketing I'd not seen other than ebay.

My initial point is that the release being later is surely better for those looking to have to save money as it gives them longer to save that money up.

The stock issues and the subsequent scalpers are another matter entirely.

Get that pre order in and start saving ASAP.

You're right of course, I hadn't figured in saving before release date.

I was more thinking towards all the lower wage parents suddenly faced with the prospect of their darlings wanting the new console(s) and not really having time to get the funds together.

You're right of course, I hadn't figured in saving before release date.

I was more thinking towards all the lower wage parents suddenly faced with the prospect of their darlings wanting the new console(s) and not really having time to get the funds together.
I've already been saving and prob have enough to pick it up already but i'll keep adding to what i have now and then and that should help get credit for games or some of the peripherals. Going to be a very expensive year this one!

I’m counting on spending £750-£1,000 once you take into account games, extra controller, new headset.

I’ll maybe get the new camera if it’s in an attractive bundle otherwise I’ll wait for PSVR2.

I'll probably pick up an extra controller at a later date. I always end up with one but it's rarely used and I could happily live with one most of the time.

Don't no whether this is posted anywhere, and I know a few places that are doing this, but you can now sign up officially on amazon uk to be notified when the pre orders go up...im hoping that means were not far off an official announcement.it is july in a couple of days thanks to @Phil1975 for the info

Screenshot_20200628-230124_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah more and more places seem to have register your interest option.
I signed up to Argos too only because I have some vouchers I could use to by some accessories.
Also the leaked price list for various markets means I’m possibly looking at £700ish, that’s excluding trade ins.

Don't forget, PS4 controllers will work on PS5 so you'll already have an extra controller or two.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom