PS5 owners thread (help, tips tricks, etc)

@Mike15111984 Hi there, what exact model of Samsung TV do you have? If it's not one that meets the minimum recommended specs for being able to properly display HDR (all TVs can 'support' receiving an HDR signal), then you would be better off just turning HDR off on the console.

@Mike15111984 Hi there, what exact model of Samsung TV do you have? If it's not one that meets the minimum recommended specs for being able to properly display HDR (all TVs can 'support' receiving an HDR signal), then you would be better off just turning HDR off on the console.
Its a Q90R, more than capable of showing hdr, i get lower spec tv's not showing it correctly, its confusing because it looks ok on ps4 pro, its just more in resi village i see it, maybe its just the ps5 version of the game.

Just been looking on a few youtube play through's of resi evil in hdr on my Q90R and my Lg downstairs, its pretty much the same so I'm guessing its the game and not ps5, i have to admit, other games look fine.

On the screen where you choose which user to log in it shows my full name under my avatar. The other account shows the gamertag. The only difference between the accounts is that mine is adult and the other is a child.

Any idea how I get it to display my gamertag instead of my real name?

Well i finished my first ps5 games on Tuesday, Rachet and Clank was ridiculously good. So impressed. RT Performance mode needs to be a standard for most games on ps5. The game was so much fun, funny characters. Highly recommend this game.

Well i finished my first ps5 games on Tuesday, Rachet and Clank was ridiculously good. So impressed. RT Performance mode needs to be a standard for most games on ps5. The game was so much fun, funny characters. Highly recommend this game.
Agreed, it is a great game.

Yeah, R&C, Returnal and Demons’s Souls really show off the power of PS5 and justify getting into this generation early IMO. Bit of a lull just now but Q1 2022 looks cracking…

Sackboy is your next game, If you've not already got it.
Not quite up to R and C standard but a truly great platformer.

Yeah, R&C, Returnal and Demons’s Souls really show off the power of PS5 and justify getting into this generation early IMO. Bit of a lull just now but Q1 2022 looks cracking…
I was going to give returnal a go but was slightly put off with a review that said it was very hard and needed completing multiple times to get the ending. Not sure how true this is.

I was going to give returnal a go but was slightly put off with a review that said it was very hard and needed completing multiple times to get the ending. Not sure how true this is.
Some of the game journalists are apparently not great gamers, so "very hard" is relative.
It's also blatantly obvious some never got very far in the game: like said certain guns are weak, when they were the most OP with upgrades later on. Other reviewers really liked it, and had less issues with the difficulty eg: ShillUp or ACG.

Not saying it's an easy game, and yes it is a rogue-ish game so dying and repeating the same levels is an expected gameloop.
I loved Returnal, thought it did excellent world building, and really tight gameplay to go with it. If you can click with it, i think the payoffs are well worth it: you end up dancing like a god of death thru areas once considered tough, so real personal growth and not just loot upgrades like other games.
Oh and it looks really good, a proper PS5 game.

AVF thread here: Returnal

So in resident evil village, in the main hallway of the castle there is some candles and fire used to illuminate the area, the fire is just pure white with no detail at all, 9n the smaller candles, the light emitted from the candle reflecting on near by objects is just white, it looks very poor, it does this on my pro but not as much.

Thanks for the reply too 👍
There's a demo for resident evil village available again today so will take a look at that later and let you know if I notice anything.

So in resident evil village, in the main hallway of the castle there is some candles and fire used to illuminate the area, the fire is just pure white with no detail at all, 9n the smaller candles, the light emitted from the candle reflecting on near by objects is just white, it looks very poor, it does this on my pro but not as much.

Thanks for the reply too 👍
Had chance to try the demo and think it's the content at fault. The fire seems to lack detail no matter what setting I play with, all I can achieve is making it brighter or duller.
The best fire I recall seeing on games was the fire torch in AC Origins

Had chance to try the demo and think it's the content at fault. The fire seems to lack detail no matter what setting I play with, all I can achieve is making it brighter or duller.
The best fire I recall seeing on games was the fire torch in AC Origins
Yeah i guessed it was prob the game after trying a few other games out, cheers for checking. I had the same, the only thing the hdr calibration slider did was brighten or make it darker, hardly any detail in it. I have ac origins but not played it yet as i did Valhalla and Odyssey back to back so having a small break.

Can i ask a question, so ive just started call of duty cold war (after messing downloading multiple add ons etc) just about to do the hdr calibration and it won't let me, states calibration needs doing through the system, this all well and good if you have a tv that supports hgig but from what ive read/understood that if your tv is not hgig compliant then the system level hdr calibration is redundant and you need to do the in game calibration. Is this correct or have i misunderstood?

Anyone tested their ps5 ping rates? I keep getting high pings in hell let loose, so did some ping tests on the ps5 by accessing the hidden browser and going on speedtest.net and some other ping sites. It was measuring about 20-30ms yet my old laptop and my phone come in about 9-10ms. Any ideas why it might be slower pings on the ps5? My ps5 is wired (even tried the same wire as the laptop), and have the ps5 in the dmz.

Anyone tested their ps5 ping rates? I keep getting high pings in hell let loose, so did some ping tests on the ps5 by accessing the hidden browser and going on speedtest.net and some other ping sites. It was measuring about 20-30ms yet my old laptop and my phone come in about 9-10ms. Any ideas why it might be slower pings on the ps5? My ps5 is wired (even tried the same wire as the laptop), and have the ps5 in the dmz.
Out of curiosity I thought I'd have a look, I'm on SKY Fibre and using speedtest.net.

PS5 (WiFi from Scottish borders) --> London, Lightning Fibre Ltd, 41ms
PS5 (using a London VPN) --> London, Lightning Fibre Ltd, 40ms
IPhone --> London, Lightning Fibre Ltd, 27ms
PS5 (using a New York VPN) --> Bermuda New York Ltd, 119ms (thought id try this)

My fibre isn't the best anyway as I can only get 25Mbs download speeds. I did have connection troubles with Hell let loose and my ping being erratic at times.

I give up, think I am going to turn hdr off on my ps5, since moving from ps4 pro to ps5 the hdr is more miss than hit, bright parts of screen are way too bright, no matter how much I adjust the hdr calibration sliders the image does not improve i.e reveal detail, just makes that part darker. It never used to do this on my ps4 pro so somewhere between the tv and the ps5 there is something wrong.

I turned HDR off day one on my PS5. In my case it's the TV though, it's just not very good at HDR, especially with games. Games look 100% better with HDR off for me, richer colours, better contrast with nice deep blacks and just more pop overall. They were dull, flat and washed out with HDR on.

I give up, think I am going to turn hdr off on my ps5, since moving from ps4 pro to ps5 the hdr is more miss than hit, bright parts of screen are way too bright, no matter how much I adjust the hdr calibration sliders the image does not improve i.e reveal detail, just makes that part darker. It never used to do this on my ps4 pro so somewhere between the tv and the ps5 there is something wrong.
What TV/monitor are you playing on? Which games are you playing which make you not happy with the HDR? Which HDR setting are you using on the PS5? If you are connected to a display which is actually capable of displaying a good HDR image, you should set the PS5 HDR setting to "On when supported".

What TV/monitor are you playing on? Which games are you playing which make you not happy with the HDR? Which HDR setting are you using on the PS5? If you are connected to a display which is actually capable of displaying a good HDR image, you should set the PS5 HDR setting to "On when supported".
Think I have figured it out, my tv is a Samsung Q90R, when setting hdr calibration the dynamic tone mapping cant be turned off for accurate calibration, I found a way to disable the dynamic tone mapping temporarily via a glitch to correctly set hdr calibration screens, on ps4 pro you could leave it with the tone mapping disabled etc, with ps5 you have to correctly set the calibration (dynamic tone mapping disabled) then hard boot the tv to kick the tone mapping back in, looks miles better, bright punchy image with detail in the brighter areas. I will upload the difference in images later ifvanyone is interested.

Hi all, just got a PS5 and have a few queries.

The setup I currently have is a Hisense 4K HDR 55" TV with a Denon 2300W AVR - the PS5 goes in to the AVR, all works fine, sounds great, looks great.

However, I am curious about 120Hz/FPS and wondered if it is worth the upgrade should I get a new OLED 120Hz TV.

The AVR I currently have is not capable of this so I know (well I assume) I would have to plug the PS5 directly in to a new TV but wondered how that would work with sound? I don't want to use the TV speakers, I want to continue to use my AVR speaker setup. I really am a novice with this so would appreciate some advice.

I have Sky Q and a nVidia Shield currently plugged in to my AVR (as well as the PS5).

I am not completely sure if I am going to get a new TV - money right now is tight before Christmas so I need some swaying! I definitely can not afford a new AVR as well as a TV!

Also, is 120FPS a big difference to what I am currently experiencing? Will I see a vast visual upgrade on my current setup (which I am happy with)?

60fps is the sweet spot for most games atm, 120 is not worth upgrading your TV for if that's the only reason you'd be doing it...

Most new tvs have EARC which will cover your audio needs. HDMI from the TV to the amp.
I wouldn't upgrade just for 120fps though. But I'd if you're planning on upgrading anyway then might as well future proof yourself.

No way I'd splash out on a new TV specifically for 120fps. Obviously if you're buying one anyway then yes, look for a set with HDMI 2.1 and 120Hz support, but otherwise I wouldn't bother. 60fps is perfectly fine.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom