PS5 owners thread (help, tips tricks, etc)

Anybody found a better set of manuals than those on the PS website?

I'm getting older so it's less and less fun nowadays to try and work out how to do things on new tech, and yes I do realise resorting to the manual is a sign of defeat. It took me ages to suss out where the Friends list was, for example, as it wasn't as obvious as it was for the PS4.

Various youtubers have done breakdowns, but often there's too much waffle, so cant recommend a precise one sorry.

Off the top of my head the important bits are:

- tap PS button = ps4-hold-PS. Brings up a shortcut bar at the bottom
- hold PS button = back to home screen
- "Game Base" = friends list, party list, etc
- Share button = same as before (depending on your defaults), hold to take photo, double tap to start video, tap to bring up a mini-menu

A lot of the other stuff is just going through each menu in the system settings, and changing to preference.

I have a Sony 4k 60hz HDR TV. How do I set the best settings for Cold War?

- Do I set the PS5 to performance mode
- Can HDR run at 120fps
- Should I enable 120fps in game

Took me until tonight to realise the stand screws on :thumbsdow I didn’t think it was very stable:rotfl:

I know but I want it looking better than it is now. Cold War looks exactly the same to me as it did on the Pro :facepalm:

Anybody know why I'm only getting YCbCr 422 instead of 444? It's not the leads as my Ps5 goes through my Devon reciever and my uhd BR player does 444 just fine, the option isn't even there on Ps5.
I know it's not a massive difference but now that I've noticed it's getting on my nerves that I can't fix it.

I was having trouble doing post-setup PS4 > PS5 data copy. PS5 was finding PS4 but had problems initiating it when asked to press power button on PS4 - kept powering down or going into rest.

Couple of things - I had USB stick in back (from game save transfer) which can apparently cause problems. Took that out. And the PS4 power button press was very awkward (for me anyway) - needed a single firm press across the length of the button.

Anybody know why I'm only getting YCbCr 422 instead of 444? It's not the leads as my Ps5 goes through my Devon reciever and my uhd BR player does 444 just fine, the option isn't even there on Ps5.
I know it's not a massive difference but now that I've noticed it's getting on my nerves that I can't fix it.
Vincent Teoh from HDTV test has done a YouTube video on that

Can anyone recommend a USB-C cable that might be suitable, say from Amazon or eBay? I see the console has a USB-A and USB-C port on the front. Would a USB-C connector at both ends result in faster charging of the controller, or does that not matter?

In the meantime I have managed to use my brother's phone charge lead that has a USB-A to USB-C connector, just to get the pad to sync to the console.

I had a bit of a panic day one as there's no charge cable included in the box, and the first thing setup tells you to do is plug in the controller to sync it. I wonder how many people will be caught out by this on Xmas day...

Can anyone recommend a USB-C cable that might be suitable, say from Amazon or eBay? I see the console has a USB-A and USB-C port on the front. Would a USB-C connector at both ends result in faster charging of the controller, or does that not matter?

In the meantime I have managed to use my brother's phone charge lead that has a USB-A to USB-C connector, just to get the pad to sync to the console.

I had a bit of a panic day one as there's no charge cable included in the box, and the first thing setup tells you to do is plug in the controller to sync it. I wonder how many people will be caught out by this on Xmas day...

There should be a USB cable in the box because you need it to charge the controller. It’s packed in that smaller box that houses the controller, power and HDMI cables. Have another look.

Last edited:
Vincent Teoh from HDTV test has done a YouTube video on that
No he's getting RGB 444 at 4k60, he's only getting 422 at 4k120, I can't get RGB 444 for some reason, he's even using the same reciever as me, good shout though.

...there's no charge cable included in the box...
There should be a USB cable in the box. It’s packed in that smaller box that houses the controller, power and HDMI cables. Have another look.

Yes, I thought there wasn't a cable in my box either but after I'd taken all of the packaging out I found it down at the bottom.

There should be a USB cable in the box because you need it to charge the controller. It’s packed in that smaller box that houses the controller, power and HDMI cables. Have another look.
Ha, not surprised I missed that, it's like a secret compartment. That'll do nicely, thank you.

Still way too short to play and charge, but at least I have my own cable now! 😝

Interestingly the bundled cable is USB-A to C, so is the USB-C port on the console intended for something else?

Ha, not surprised I missed that, it's like a secret compartment. That'll do nicely, thank you.

Still way too short to play and charge, but at least I have my own cable now! 😝

Interestingly the bundled cable is USB-A to C, so is the USB-C port on the console intended for something else?

It is easily missed, I didn’t find it straight away myself. :)

Same i thought it had no charging cable :laugh:.

Is it ok to use a phone fast charger to charge the DS5, i have a oneplus warp charger ? Probably wont charge it any quicker ?

Hope everyone is enjoying there ps5s? Has anyone noticed a humming sound coming from the ps5 when the room is queit at all? I think it might be coil whine but not sure.

When charging the controller:

USB C -> USB A VS USB C -> USB C

Any difference in charging times?

I wondered that myself.

one thing I have noticed is that the USB at the rear does charge faster that the one at the front. It certainly seems to anyway.

Someone on here said it charges faster at the back port

Just checked and it doesn’t really say if it’s faster. It just mentions that any USB can be used.

Anybody got a HDR issue with the ps5, my Panasonic set excepts HDR at 4k via firestick but the ps5 says HDR at 4k not supported.

Using cable that came with it. At the min I'm having to play at 4k with no HDR.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom