PS5 owners thread (help, tips tricks, etc)

Wing80surfer

Ah thanks, I didn't seem to be able to select existing connections to bring up a menu, will try again. And yes, binned off the hdmi link for now, it sort of worked with our other LG TV, but only if the PS5 wasn't the last thing you did on the TV. This new LG seems to turn it on whenever it feels like it!
I've got to admit though, I've not tried as I'm 'in work' at the moment 🤣
Yeah, that's what I was finding too with my CX, even hitting the Netflix button to turn on directly to that would cause the PS5 to power up.

Paulie Walnuts

Another slight gripe is with the audio delay as I'm connected to a Sonos Beam / 2 Sonos 1s. When it is used as a 5.1 surround there is a slight audio delay.

From looking online it seems this is a common issue and there are no fixes. That sucks.

RTC89

Another slight gripe is with the audio delay as I'm connected to a Sonos Beam / 2 Sonos 1s. When it is used as a 5.1 surround there is a slight audio delay.

From looking online it seems this is a common issue and there are no fixes. That sucks.
Paulie.. you fully gone to the blue side now? you all set for battlefield?

Rieper47

Odd man out here. It's worth reading up on fan noise if you're especially sensitive to it as there are apparently at least three different fans fitted to these machines (presumably partly due to supply issues in the current climate?) - i've not read a great deal but believe there are two 23-blade fans which are quieter than the 17-blade Nidec branded fan in mine. I've only had it a week or so and think it has quietened down a bit in that time but it was quite noticeable initially. It's spinning/whirring constantly, emits a low thrumming noise (not unlike a running car engine outside your window). I was initially alarmed and have had the fan out to have a look but haven't yet run the machine up with the fan out of the casing which would absolutely confirm that it is the fan. Lots of people complaining about same on the internet, perhaps not a big deal unless one is particularly sensitive to this sort of thing IMO. Although I guess you'd not be asking were you not!

edit. have now fitted an NMB branded fan from eBay, arrived very quickly from, I assume, China; £70. Difference is night and day - cannot hear a thing from my sofa with the NMB fan whereas the Nidec was constantly audible at low tv volumes. Galling to have to spend ontop of the console but, then, strange days right now. Apols if already discussed elsewhere
I too have the Nidec fan and personally find it annoying. It's the high pitched oscillation/UFO noise that winds me up. It's definitely louder or more noticeable than my ps4 pro. I managed to get a part refund from my retailer as there's no stock to replace the ps5 with, and have put that money towards the replacement nmb fan, just waiting for it to arrive still 😒
Unfortunately there are quite a few ps5 owners who can't get on with the Nidec fan but Sony support just stick with "it's normal to make noise".
There is also the disc drive noise. My ps5 is very noisy whilst installing a disc and initial boot with a disc inserted bit this stops after a minute or so. My first ps5 had this issue too but the drive completely failed so had to return that one. I also had a rattling noise when playing a UHD disc last night but may have fixed that by adjusting the screws.

I'm glad for those that say they have a silent ps5 but I'm yet to see/hear one myself that's quiet...

HMTB

I'm going to set up my PS5 today and was wondering how long it takes to transfer games over to the PS5? Or do you just transfer the game save data between consoles and then re-download the actual games straight onto the PS5 without the need for the PS4? My internet connection is quite slow so assume it'll take ages to set up things like GT Sport.

sykotik

Distinguished Member
You can transfer games from one to the other over your network ( as well game data )
When 1st setting up the ps5 it will ask you do you want to transfer anything over from the ps4.

HMTB

I recall reading some time ago, around release, that there was a risk of bricking for PS5 consoles when put in rest mode. Is that still a problem or has that been resolved?

sykotik

Distinguished Member
I recall reading some time ago, around release, that there was a risk of bricking for PS5 consoles when put in rest mode. Is that still a problem or has that been resolved?
Never really use rest mode , how ever i have accidentally clicked on rest mode
A few times , but just restarted the console and turned it off properly.
Never had a problem with it.

Rieper47

I believe that was patched. I've used rest mode a few times and mine hasn't bricked. There does some to be an intermittent bug where the dashboard/home screen sometimes won't respond after using rest mode however. The quick launch thing still works though so easy enough to reboot which fixes that issue.

Cloysterpeteuk

Distinguished Member
My rest mode was misbehaving with an attached SSD so I removed that, it works fine now but it’s very slow, much slower than Series X or my PS4 Pro to wake up.

DAZ UK 74

Distinguished Member
I hope not, I have had my PS5 in instant on mode since the day I bought it.

HMTB

thanks all.

Another question if I may. Has anyone got any experience of the DBrand Darkplates? I'm thinking of swapping out the white faceplates for some black ones but don't want to damage the console. Is there any risk with this that anyone is aware of in terms of affecting the cooling/ventilation or are the Darkplates the same exact shape/dimensions and same material as the official Sony ones?

Oh, and does replacing the plates void the warranty?

Rieper47

thanks all.

Another question if I may. Has anyone got any experience of the DBrand Darkplates? I'm thinking of swapping out the white faceplates for some black ones but don't want to damage the console. Is there any risk with this that anyone is aware of in terms of affecting the cooling/ventilation or are the Darkplates the same exact shape/dimensions and same material as the official Sony ones?

During the official teardown video they demonstrated removing the side plates to access dust ports for cleaning, so I can't see any way that would be an issue. There's a warranty void sticker over one of the screws but you don't need to touch any screws to remove the plates. Just keep the original plates so you can put them back on if you need to send your console for repair 👍

sykotik

Distinguished Member
thanks all.

Save your self a few quid and get these , 5 Black PS5 Face Plates Digital/Disc Drive Edition Black Shell Case Cover New | eBay
I have them and their just as good as any named company version at a much cheaper price.

Robothamster

Distinguished Member
thanks all.

I have the dbrand ones, they are brilliant quality and dead easy to swap.

If I was buying now though, I'd probably go for the even cheaper ones.

Mike15111984

Hi everyone, took delivery of my ps5 a week ago, very impressed with it so far. Quick question, does anyone get over blown hdr peak whites? All hdr calibrations setup correctly. I never noticed it on my ps4 pro on 2 tv's, yet as soon as i get a ps5 its very obvious. Now my tv is known for slightly over blown whites but not this much. To test it, i tested both my pro and ps5 on 2 different tv's and the ps5's hdr is very bright.

Leads me to believe its the ps5's hdr implementation? Anyone had similar issues?

Mike15111984

Hmm, so after more messing around i think the problem is the ps5 hdr adjustment does not work as it should. If i adjust the system and in game adjustment screens it seems to not change anything at all in terms of the peak whites. My tv is not hgig so the system level adjustment is useless . . . . On any Samsung for that matter, even models with hgig, so the in game adjustments is whats needed yet these don't seem to be working either. I hope Sony or Samsung fixes this issue, I'm guessing more Sony with my Xbox one s and ps4 pro working normally, just ps5 that's wrong.

Rieper47

Hmm, so after more messing around i think the problem is the ps5 hdr adjustment does not work as it should. If i adjust the system and in game adjustment screens it seems to not change anything at all in terms of the peak whites. My tv is not hgig so the system level adjustment is useless . . . . On any Samsung for that matter, even models with hgig, so the in game adjustments is whats needed yet these don't seem to be working either. I hope Sony or Samsung fixes this issue, I'm guessing more Sony with my Xbox one s and ps4 pro working normally, just ps5 that's wrong.
Not sure I've noticed that. Adjusting in game brightness in Ghost of Tsushima definitely changes the display (seems best at default though).
Do you know an example game/scene?

Mike15111984

Not sure I've noticed that. Adjusting in game brightness in Ghost of Tsushima definitely changes the display (seems best at default though).
Do you know an example game/scene?
So in resident evil village, in the main hallway of the castle there is some candles and fire used to illuminate the area, the fire is just pure white with no detail at all, 9n the smaller candles, the light emitted from the candle reflecting on near by objects is just white, it looks very poor, it does this on my pro but not as much.

Thanks for the reply too 👍

Rieper47

So in resident evil village, in the main hallway of the castle there is some candles and fire used to illuminate the area, the fire is just pure white with no detail at all, 9n the smaller candles, the light emitted from the candle reflecting on near by objects is just white, it looks very poor, it does this on my pro but not as much.

Thanks for the reply too 👍
Ah I've not got re village sorry. I have re 7 biohazard if you have the same problem with that game?
Sometimes in the past on my ps4 I thought HDR wasn't right but I think it's actually just poorly implemented some of the time. God of War for example is often blown out but looks amazing in other scenes.

Mike15111984

Ah I've not got re village sorry. I have re 7 biohazard if you have the same problem with that game?
I will check at some point today and get back to you. Just in the middle of full reboot of tv to see if the tv has had a wobble at some point. Thanks

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Black Friday 2021: What you need to know
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Blu-ray Special - The Cinema of Zhang Yimou & Gong Li
  • By Mark Costello
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 24th November 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Panasonic 2021 TV update brings full 4K resolution with VRR and HFR