PS5 owners thread (help, tips tricks, etc)

Hocking88

FWIW - The first couple of things I tested transferred from PS4 direct to the SSD on the PS5, so then I had to move them to my ext SSD manually, and one game didn't play nicely after the move, so in the end, I just downloaded all the stuff I wanted to again. I have a decent connection, but was very quick and easy. When you do this, PS5 automatically associates your cloud saves for you, as opposed to it needing to be done manually if you initiate a PS4 to PS5 transfer.

As for tips -what's the rest of your setup? Which TV? Amp? Surround? Headphones?

Thank you for the heads up. I am thinking about just starting with the ps5 and not transferring any of my PS4 games, is it easy enough to download them from the ps store? I’m just thinking that way it won’t get full so quickly. I don’t have any type of external hard drive. I have a good connection so it shouldn’t be too bad. It’s the game saves I’m more worried about losing.

In terms of my set up I have a sound bar. But also my Sony PS4 wireless headphones. Will they work ok with the ps5?

Robothamster

Distinguished Member
Thank you for the heads up. I am thinking about just starting with the ps5 and not transferring any of my PS4 games, is it easy enough to download them from the ps store? I’m just thinking that way it won’t get full so quickly. I don’t have any type of external hard drive. I have a good connection so it shouldn’t be too bad. It’s the game saves I’m more worried about losing.

In terms of my set up I have a sound bar. But also my Sony PS4 wireless headphones. Will they work ok with the ps5?
If you still have your PS4, simply upload all your game saves to the ps+ cloud, and you can redownload them back onto the ps5, super easy.

Stinja

Distinguished Member
Saves worked fine for me, it was the ethernet/wifi game transfer which didnt always work so good.
Some games had a fit and needed to be deleted and redownloaded.

Thought i'd give Sniper Elite 4 a crack (yeah yeah never got around to it), so went to download it and hit my first "out of space" on PS5 :rolleyes: think i'll be needing to find a HDD/SSD for PS4 games sooner than later...

Mike15111984

Hi everyone, got a quick question for any owners of ps5 who are in the uk. I have not got one myself, looking at getting one asap. Now the dust has settled after release i would like to know peoples opinions on the console noise level (compared to ps4/pro) and how is the heat wave effecting the fan noise. I obviously know they will make noise but is it a big improvement over ps4/pro. I thought my pro was going to take off last playing ac odyssey.

Cheers

Spence0108

Hi everyone, got a quick question for any owners of ps5 who are in the uk. I have not got one myself, looking at getting one asap. Now the dust has settled after release i would like to know peoples opinions on the console noise level (compared to ps4/pro) and how is the heat wave effecting the fan noise. I obviously know they will make noise but is it a big improvement over ps4/pro. I thought my pro was going to take off last playing ac odyssey.

Cheers

Iv had 2 ps5s now. First one had slight noise but kept overheating and crashing so sent back to Sony. 2nd ps5 has been fine can barely hear it unless I put my ear right up to it. No overheating issues with this one either. So compared to the ps4s jet engine the ps5 is whisper quiet

Mike15111984

Iv had 2 ps5s now. First one had slight noise but kept overheating and crashing so sent back to Sony. 2nd ps5 has been fine can barely hear it unless I put my ear right up to it. No overheating issues with this one either. So compared to the ps4s jet engine the ps5 is whisper quiet
Thanks for the reply, this is very good to hear, so is it very quiet even under heavy gaming? Very pleased that the rumours of it being very quiet when it released were genuine and not just just people giving it positive feedback just because they like it. Cheers 👍

Spence0108

Thanks for the reply, this is very good to hear, so is it very quiet even under heavy gaming? Very pleased that the rumours of it being very quiet when it released were genuine and not just just people giving it positive feedback just because they like it. Cheers 👍

I cant say for heavy gaming as I haven't got a TV that can run 120hz but for 60hz it has been fine with only a slight fan noise but only can hear it when in very quiet moments of games like resident evil but even then you really have to be listening out for it unless you play with headphones then no problem whatsoever

Mike15111984

I cant say for heavy gaming as I haven't got a TV that can run 120hz but for 60hz it has been fine with only a slight fan noise but only can hear it when in very quiet moments of games like resident evil but even then you really have to be listening out for it unless you play with headphones then no problem whatsoever
Ok thanks again for taking the time to reply. I appreciate it. Cheers 👍

rousetafarian

Full 4K here on an LG OLED, disc version is super quiet compared to my late version PS4 Pro which again very quiet.
Mine sits behind the TV around 6ft and I cant heat a peep out of it.

Last edited:

Stinja

Distinguished Member
PS5 is super quiet.

The only noise is PS4 discs, which seem to spin up on start (to authenticate i presume) and occasionally during gameplay. This is not fan noise, as remove the disc and it doesnt happen.
For me at least.

ozzzy189

Distinguished Member
Digital edition day 1 launch here.
Had a little bit of coil whine which started after a few weeks but haven't noticed it in months, must've settled down.
I play with headphones maybe 50% of the time.

Cloysterpeteuk

Distinguished Member
My PS5 makes a complete racket for the first two minutes which is a bit annoying, but I never hear it after that. Series X is still quieter, I’ve never heard anything at all from the machine it seems to be a far neater design and cooling for the MS machine.

Wing80surfer

My disk version is still quiet in the current heat. Can hear it clearly when it boots up but goes silent after about 30 secs. Currently playing Ratchet & Clank in fidelity 40fps mode, temps in the room of around 26-28c. I've got my system vertically on a wooden chopping board on the floor next to TV unit so plenty of ventilation.

Caljo

Day 1 PS5 Digital (vertically standing) here.
Still can’t believe how quiet and cool it is, especially during quite lengthy gaming sessions.
:thumbsup:

Eotyr

Odd man out here. It's worth reading up on fan noise if you're especially sensitive to it as there are apparently at least three different fans fitted to these machines (presumably partly due to supply issues in the current climate?) - i've not read a great deal but believe there are two 23-blade fans which are quieter than the 17-blade Nidec branded fan in mine. I've only had it a week or so and think it has quietened down a bit in that time but it was quite noticeable initially. It's spinning/whirring constantly, emits a low thrumming noise (not unlike a running car engine outside your window). I was initially alarmed and have had the fan out to have a look but haven't yet run the machine up with the fan out of the casing which would absolutely confirm that it is the fan. Lots of people complaining about same on the internet, perhaps not a big deal unless one is particularly sensitive to this sort of thing IMO. Although I guess you'd not be asking were you not!

edit. have now fitted an NMB branded fan from eBay, arrived very quickly from, I assume, China; £70. Difference is night and day - cannot hear a thing from my sofa with the NMB fan whereas the Nidec was constantly audible at low tv volumes. Galling to have to spend ontop of the console but, then, strange days right now. Apols if already discussed elsewhere

Last edited:

stigdu

Banned
Yes! Mine does the same. I thought it was because I left a game running while put into Rest Mode, however it still "whines" if all games are closed and put into Rest Mode.

EDIT: Is anyone's Circle button starting to stick?

Yes. I've had my controller about 6 weeks now, and the circle button is sticking already.

DAZ UK 74

Distinguished Member
My tablet didn't have the same ip as my PS5 but I reset the router and forgot the network on the tablet and everything seems fine now.

For anyone who bought the Pulse 3D headset did it need a charge before you could use it?

Pillow Lover

Distinguished Member
My tablet didn't have the same ip as my PS5 but I reset the router and forgot the network on the tablet and everything seems fine now.

For anyone who bought the Pulse 3D headset did it need a charge before you could use it?

Can’t vouch for every single one but mine was already charged and ready to go when I got it.

DAZ UK 74

Distinguished Member
I was waiting for the headset to arrive and have been gagging to play Returnal since Friday. The headset manual did say to charge the headset before using them.

Paulie Walnuts

Hey all, had my PS5 a couple of months now. So far only got COD Cold War but still have a fair few of my PS4 games. Really nice console and looks great on my 75 inch Samsung Q95T. Noise wise it normally has a little whirr when first switched on but that only lasts for about 30 seconds. I have it on its side in a TV unit.

The main issues I have so far are:
  • The memory is terrible. 2 games pretty much fills the memory up. I have Cold War, Astro's playroom and Battlefield 1 (PS4) installed and when I went to put Warzone on it said there was insufficient memory. That is very disappointing.
  • When playing COD I have HDR turned off so that it runs in 120hz in 4k. This works most of the time however occasionally for reasons beyond me the game launches in 1080p 120hz rather than 4k. If I restart the console it eventually gets it back into 4k 120hz. Anyone else had this problem?
Looking forward to seeing what the future holds for games being release. Also probably need to start saving for additional SSD storage!

Cloysterpeteuk

Distinguished Member
Hey all, had my PS5 a couple of months now. So far only got COD Cold War but still have a fair few of my PS4 games. Really nice console and looks great on my 75 inch Samsung Q95T. Noise wise it normally has a little whirr when first switched on but that only lasts for about 30 seconds. I have it on its side in a TV unit.

The main issues I have so far are:
  • The memory is terrible. 2 games pretty much fills the memory up. I have Cold War, Astro's playroom and Battlefield 1 (PS4) installed and when I went to put Warzone on it said there was insufficient memory. That is very disappointing.
  • When playing COD I have HDR turned off so that it runs in 120hz in 4k. This works most of the time however occasionally for reasons beyond me the game launches in 1080p 120hz rather than 4k. If I restart the console it eventually gets it back into 4k 120hz. Anyone else had this problem?
Looking forward to seeing what the future holds for games being release. Also probably need to start saving for additional SSD storage!

You should be criticising COD for the extreme amount of space those games take up, Sony are restricted by economics they already sell each PS5 for a loss so they can’t just go and stick a 2tb SSD in there, whereas Activision simply don’t care to optimise cod games to respect their customers limited storage and internet bandwidth.

Toasty

Distinguished Member
Minor queries:

Hooked PS5 up to a wired connection over the weekend, all good. Is there anyway to disable/remove the WiFi connection it was using? Wifi always appears as connected when I check, would rather it left off, although I know it probably isn't being used..

Also hooked it up to an OLED LG, anyway to stop the TV turning the PS5 on? I want the PS5 to turn the TV on when powered and/or switch to its HDMI, but not the other way around. The options on the PS5 all look fine for this, but the LG option only has one HDMI CEC link toggle setting and it simply has a hard on for our PS5 and turns it on all the time lol. PS4 to old Sony TV worked exactly as needed.

Wing80surfer

Minor queries:

Hooked PS5 up to a wired connection over the weekend, all good. Is there anyway to disable/remove the WiFi connection it was using? Wifi always appears as connected when I check, would rather it left off, although I know it probably isn't being used..

Also hooked it up to an OLED LG, anyway to stop the TV turning the PS5 on? I want the PS5 to turn the TV on when powered and/or switch to its HDMI, but not the other way around. The options on the PS5 all look fine for this, but the LG option only has one HDMI CEC link toggle setting and it simply has a hard on for our PS5 and turns it on all the time lol. PS4 to old Sony TV worked exactly as needed.

Not a solution to your second question but I was fed up with the TV turning on the PS5 too, I just disabled the HDMI link. I don't mind picking up the TV remote & selecting the correct HDMI input when I want to use the PS5.

Toasty

Distinguished Member
Ah thanks, I didn't seem to be able to select existing connections to bring up a menu, will try again. And yes, binned off the hdmi link for now, it sort of worked with our other LG TV, but only if the PS5 wasn't the last thing you did on the TV. This new LG seems to turn it on whenever it feels like it!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Black Friday 2021: What you need to know
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Blu-ray Special - The Cinema of Zhang Yimou & Gong Li
  • By Mark Costello
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 24th November 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Panasonic 2021 TV update brings full 4K resolution with VRR and HFR