PS5 owners thread (help, tips tricks, etc)

Stinja

Distinguished Member
No cheese or xbox discussion please!

So how are people liking it?

DSC_0725.JPG
DSC_0726.JPG

dsc_0731-jpg.1400511

Defo a bit of a chubber.

800MB-ish update, just doing the setup stuff. You get a generic "see info here" message, no more "stability update" :thumbsdow Also a DSense update (what do we abbreviate it too?).

DSC_0728.JPG

Note: I was warned by staff the handle isn't the strongest, and to carry it under my arm.

EDIT: some observtions i've posted in other threads.

It's Quiet ;) at least after the 360 and PS4Pro.

The PS5 overall has a smoothness thats hard to describe.
Going back to the PS4 now just has this stodginess about it, micro-delays between menu transitions, pauses for something to render, it's all feels a bit like it's struggling in the XMB.
PS5 glides back and forth doing actions, and everything is so very crisp.

Day 1 patches all over the place: Console; controller; apps; games. A lot are not mandatory, but the DualSense one was not iirc. OS is 800MB-ish update.

The wifi chip seems better than PS4. I'm getting 199.5Mbps download, and 28.1Mbps upload. Latency seems really good playing worldwide with PUGs.

Dual Sense controller is great. The haptics and force feedback thing is amazing in Astro Bot, but needs dev to support it in other games presumably. Triggers have refined sensitivity and responsiveness. Feels very solid. Dpad was a little clicky to start, but settled down with use i guess.

For negatives: it is dissapointing how so many ps4 features seem to have been removed (or arent working cross-platform), often little things, but for example:

- SharePlay doesnt seem to work with a PS4 mate, also obtusely hidden to start (or i'm unfamiliar)
- trimming a video is annoying. Sure it renders much much faster, but if you set a start and end point it doesnt tell you how long the new video will be? (which the ps4 did). Or you can no longer skip in 1/10/30 second jumps. Or pre-viewing has a hud all the time.
Just feels like the interface and usability took a step back.
- ditto the "Game Base" is worse than ps4 hold-ps-button-for sidebar-menu thing. To actually see your friends list of active players is no longer quick as that hold above.
Now it's tap PS button; down to bottom menu; across to game base; click; options button; down and click "go to game base"; tab to friends - so many steps compared to PS4.

Just lots of little niggles, which may be my unfamiliarity, but is annoying right now. Dont get me wrong this is all XMB menu stuff and apps, so could be improved, and game loading/smoothness is great.

Note: reports that Rest Mode has issues, from games crashing (i've had Demon Souls hard crash multiple times), to rebuilding database, to bricking - obviously always take these with a grain of salt - but worth not enabling Rest mode or auto-Rest under power saving.

Last edited:

FadgewackeR

Distinguished Member

Stinja

Distinguished Member
What TV have you got?
It's just the Sony X90H. Mrs said no to CX :(

The wifi chip seems better than PS4. I'm getting 199.5Mbps download, and 28.1Mbps upload.

It does seem to limit you to downloading one game at a time, others get queued.

Xabi17

That's a decent enough speed though remains to be seen if that is maintained when the world comes online as opposed to just Oceania!

Be interested to hear your thoughts on tearing, frame rates and performance but most important how the DualSense works with Astros Playroom! Do you have Spiderman MM?

addyb

Distinguished Member
Nice one mate. Hope you enjoy it. What games do you have? Be good to hear what kind of battery life you get out of the Dsense :)

CAS FAN

Distinguished Member
Looks fantastic! Enjoy. It's going to be a slow week lol.

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member
All I can show is todays delivery being in the uk, which is a form of torture from Sony

20201112_182512.jpg

Robothamster

Distinguished Member
How's the Tempest audio @Stinja ?

As overrated as expected? :laugh:

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member
Dont want to be a scaremonger theres enough of that on tinternet...and with any electrical item and millions of consoles I hope this doesn't happen to me...I had Anthem shut down my PS4 pro completely and never played it again, I follow this guy ( and Mystic) this was his latest post

Cha1ky

Distinguished Member
'GODFALL IS BRICKING SYSTEMS'

'IT WONT COME BACK'

Boots up system with an error report ready to send..........

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member
Yeah I thought that..ironically he got a ps5 in advance as one of the "influencers" that sony identified on youtube...so probably a little bit of an overreaction, and a bit irresponsible by him. When I had the same issue with anthem on my ps4 pro it happened twice back to back so I never played it again.

KennyNinja74

Distinguished Member
I'm not surprised he was having problems, having his PS5 in a confined space with the rear of the console right up against the wall, of cause he was going to have problems.

Cha1ky

Distinguished Member
Yeah I thought that..ironically he got a ps5 in advance as one of the "influencers" that sony identified on youtube...so probably a little bit of an overreaction, and a bit irresponsible by him. When I had the same issue with anthem on my ps4 pro it happened twice back to back so I never played it again.
This is what happens these days. When an 'influencer' has an issue its straight on social media and then picked up by Gaming Media and then bang its everywhere. IN reality his system shut down.....then it came back on. I get it happening on PS4 and other devices (PC, mobile etc) rarely too.

Just causes a hysteria that doesn't need to happen!

KennyNinja74

Distinguished Member
I've had it happen to my Pro during power cuts and such like, it just goes through the database rebuilding phase then restarts no big issue, but using words like Bricking is just wrong.

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member
True...even @Stinja posted some info like avoiding rest mode. I expect bugs and issues upon release and I also expect plenty of firmware updates. I will be using this thread as titled, and sharing bits and bobs, tips and tricks...

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member

sykotik

Distinguished Member
Not sure if its any use to others
But the USB C magnetic cables work to charge the controller
( iv been using these cables with my phone for a while )
Saves wear and tear on the USB port
20201117_165007.jpg

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

T+A announces high end 200 Series audio components
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Trinnov Altitude update adds new features
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Panasonic TVs welcome Disney+
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Audio Research announces I/50 integrated valve amp