PS5 or Series X?

allenstorm

Standard Member
Reaction score
As the November is coming near, it is almost time to make a decision. Should it be Xbox Series or PS5? I know some of you have budget for both, but most of us can only choose one. I know it all comes down to the exclusives. I am more inclined to XBOX because I want to run the Flight Simulator in 4K. And my once beloved Naughty Dog just aren't what they used to be after "The last of us part 2". I am not a big fan of JRPG either. So the answer for me is clear. But how about you? Which is your choice?

Last edited:
Always been Xbox day one since the original, I'll be sticking to the Xbox X.

To put it bluntly, Even if i prefered the ps5 exclusives that thing is definitely the ugliest console that's been out for years...

I dont get why people comment on the looks, I couldn't give a monkeys. Its all about the games baby.

If it isn't about exclusives, what is it then? Price? Faith? Please answer to the thread.
They're a part of a decision but they aren't a be all end all. Controller comfort, the eco system, how invested you may already be, your friends. All of these should be factors too.

If it isn't about exclusives, what is it then? Price? Faith? Please answer to the thread.
For me it's about the whole experience, the UI, extra functionality (Dolby Vision + ATMOS),how the console runs 3rd party titles and the exclusives. The Series X will be my main because i believe it will run 3rd party titles smoother (Big Borderlands nerd!) and out of all exclusives that both consoles have to offer Flight Sim appeals to me the most.

Its come down to a choice for me of Series S + PS5DE OR Series X - at launch.

I can't justify the Series X and PS5 even to myself - and frankly I'm not inclined to get both as in no part of me wants to.

The Series S offers unbelievable value and I suspect would do me really fine for Xbox stuff until the X comes down a bit in cost. And I fancy playing HZD2 on PS5 (after which I could likely sell my PS5).

The Series X on the other hand will play my multiplats best and I'd get a PS5 down the line when cheaper and HZD2 is cheaper and out....

The reality is that there probably isn't really a good reason for me to get a PS5 - I didn't use my PS4 too much but for HZD and I doubt it will be much different this time around. Its just weighing up the most sensible way of doing it. I want to play my multiplats on Xbox really.

It entirely depends on what you actually play. If all you play is Sony exclusives or Xbox ones then the decision is straightforward. If you mainly play multiplat games - then why would you buy a console based on exclusives?

Most people just naturally have ties to a platform and it takes a fair bit to break them - for example this last gen my group of friends who I play the old Battlefield and Destiny with were on Xbox so there was no way I was changing. But over time we've dispersed (and grown up) and we don't get to play so much and of course some of them aren't buying a new console full stop! So the ties to a platform there change over time. But I would want a next gen xbox of some sort mainly because of gamepass and my library.

Not seen any games running on a new Xbox consoles yet...
I’ll be sticking to PS5 (with drive) - for me it’s all about the games, and more especially all about the new gen games, I don’t care about backwards compatibility.

I totally understand why a PS5 makes more sense if its an either or choice, there are games coming out on that console I must have, spiderman etc you all know there names and likely a few new ones this gen to boot. So on paper a PS5 would play 90%+ of all the games I want this generation. Simple fact I must have one in my house at some point.

But then I have these Pro Xbox considerations a number of which would likely work in reverse in favor of Playstation for some people.
  • I would lose most of my existing library as its 70/30 Xbox/PS based
  • I prefer the Controller on the xbox and have an elite controller I want to use still.
  • Friends on Xbox still
  • I prefer the Xbox eco system, not sure why.
  • GamePass is used a lot by the whole family and on PC so is very popular in our house.
  • Xbox likely to be more powerful for mulitplats but this a smaller concern in general.
  • cross play between PC and Xbox much better than PS to PC. (And we do this alot)

So reading that list its mostly personal preferance or something I and my family do that might not be happening in your house. I should probally get a Series S and a PS5 but I as I use Xbox most its an X for me 100%, and PS5 when I choose (which might be at launch if I can swing it even though I will have only one game for it I want)

Last edited:
Surely this question should have been asked in the general thread as opposed to the Series X one no..?

Eventually - both.

In terms of next-gen only games, with Spidey Miles Morales and Ratchet & Clank it's clear that Sony has a better launch window line-up vs. Xbox's The Medium, Scorn and Tetris.

Neither of those games on either platform move the needle for me. Yes, I would buy both Spidey and Ratchet games, however to me they are not system sellers. I'll pick them up when a big AAA game hits that demands I buy the console. I think that's likely to be God of War 2, and I think that is years off. Hell, I bought the PS4 after the success of The Last of Us Part 1, eagerly anticipating the sequel, and Part 2 came out right at the tail-end of the generation.

So I intend to bide my time as far as PS5 is concerned - I'll buy one when there's a killer game that demands it. Hopefully by then they will have a black PS5 model and perhaps even a PS5 Slim model.

Until then I shall stick with Xbox as my goto multiplatform box, and I'll be going for the Series X - continuing with the multiplatform games there chipping away at cheevos in the process, all the while exploiting the Game Pass library.

I’ll pick up the Series X first on day 1 and that will be my main console. Then I’ll buy the PS5 when HZD 2 arrives, and hopefully there will be an all black model available too (or some black face plates to swap out?).

Last edited:
For me I’ve long ceased to consider console generations into my thinking, I’m just buying a more powerful PlayStation or Xbox, I’ll continue playing games from random era's and I'll be content that I'll be playing them in a much better state than they were at release. I’m not a retro gamer, but my backlog is now stretching to decades long so there are games I’ve owned for a ridiculous amount of time and still never got around to playing. Alan Wake is the latest one I’m going through on Xbox, alongside the much more recent Vampyr on PlayStation.

I'll get Series X at launch because I’m sick of games running badly on my Xbox (latest model with a SSD attached) such as BL3, Darksiders Genesis, Subnautica etc and having to resort to playing such titles on the more powerful PC. PS5 I’m not sure, maybe I’ll get it at launch just because it doesn’t really matter to me how much it costs, but it’s hardly a pressing need so I might wait until there’s a model with a larger SSD available, or failing that fast enough external drives are available.

For me I’ve long ceased to consider console generations into my thinking, I’m just buying a more powerful PlayStation or Xbox, I’ll continue playing games from random era's and I'll be content that I'll be playing them in a much better state than they were at release. I’m not a retro gamer, but my backlog is now stretching to decades long so there are games I’ve owned for a ridiculous amount of time and still never got around to playing. Alan Wake is the latest one I’m going through on Xbox, alongside the much more recent Vampyr on PlayStation.

I'll get Series X at launch because I’m sick of games running badly on my Xbox (latest model with a SSD attached) such as BL3, Darksiders Genesis, Subnautica etc and having to resort to playing such titles on the more powerful PC. PS5 I’m not sure, maybe I’ll get it at launch just because it doesn’t really matter to me how much it costs, but it’s hardly a pressing need so I might wait until there’s a model with a larger SSD available, or failing that fast enough external drives are available.

Yeah. I agree. Even if I never play BL3 or Destiny 2 or BFV etc again I am playing Avengers now I will play Cyberpunk and probably Assasins Creed. And will of course play those other games mentioned. There is absolutely no shortage of games. Yet some people seem to only count AAA exclusives as games. Whereas I’m sort of at the point where I can’t keep up with what I’ve got and gamepass is always offering me up new stuff to play. Normally wouldn’t bother with sniper elite games but thought might as well give SE4 a go.

I get people liking exclusives one way or another but to only count them and seemingly ignore the huge volume of games out there is weird.

I’m getting both again. Going to use the Series X for multi platform and Gamepass and the PS5 for PlayStation exclusives. Not going for any mid generation upgrades this time round though.

There's some very sensible responses here (I suspect we're all getting older :rotfl:).

I'm going backwards and forwards between the options, as I know I don't need one, but I love tech. There's a few factors that are making this a hard choice for me, lack of time, family sharing, quick-resume, low budget (currently) - I'll try to cover them briefly as the first time I tried turned this into a long post..

I have a PS4 Slim, with VR, 2 Controllers, PS Move Controllers, 2TB HDD, Thrustmaster T150, Current PS+ and EA subscriptions (which I probably won't resume). I like it, however games take a long time to load and I don't have much time to play, quick resume is great but the family also use it, so half the time a different game is 'saved' when I return to it. I also have a HTPC, but it needs TLC as it occasionally just doesn't want to POST until I reset the BIOS - I use this more than the PS4, however.

PS5 Considerations:
Pros:
Potential single console under the TV.
My steering wheel will work with it.
PS VR is compatible
It'll last x years for the 'new' generation.
Gran Turismo?

Unsure:
I'm concerned about fan noise, Sony have a bad track record with the PS4.
PS VR is compatible, but not sure it'll benefit on the PS5.
Not sure if I'll need another camera for PS VR.
Backwards compatibility is an unknown.
I enjoy playing GT Sport with the guys on the forum, but I haven't done it much (I had the same problem with Driveclub) as I don't have enough time to learn the circuits/cars properly.

Cons:
The console looks horrendous (I know some people like it, I really really don't).
DS4 Controllers don't work cross-generation, I'll need to buy an extra one on top of the console.
I don't get much benefit from PS Plus, I only bought it for GT Sport online features, which I use rarely.
I tried PS Now, didn't get much out of it, games I did want to play left the platform too quickly for my liking.
EA Access/Play is very limited on Playstation.

Xbox Series X/S:
Pros:
Game Pass/Ultimate (currently using with my HTPC, discovered some gems), which I can share with Son 1 (PC Gamer) and Son 2 (Xbox Gamer).
EA Access/Play is included (also usable on PC!).
Cross-generation controller compatibility.
It'll be quiet, I'm confident of this.
Backwards compatibility is excellent.
Multi-game resume!
Xbox All Access, smaller monthly payment.

Cons:
My steering wheel won't work on it.
No VR, the PS4 would have to stay under the TV to placate the family.

OR, Upgrade the HTPC:
Pros:
More flexible, free games on Epic Games Store, able to run emulators (currently it's not powerful enough).
Game Pass (though I would feel more tempted to continue with this if I had an Xbox, strangely).
I can use it with my steering wheel (but have only ever done once, because it's not plug-n-play like the PS4).

Cons:
More expensive (VERY expensive if I want to match XboxSX/PS5 performance).
When I eventually upgrade my TV, HDR will be fiddly against the 'just works' of the consoles.
Games require tweaking to get consistent performance, I usually just choose something to give me 60fps-ish as I don't want to spend ages tweaking.
It can run emulators, as above, I'll spend ages tweaking them and probably never actually play the games.
I'm constantly on the hunt for components to upgrade it (I can't help myself, feel the need to remove the temptation).
When it stops working I need to fix it, which I don't have time / can't be bothered to do.
My youngest son is disappointed when it stops working and he wants to play.

It's still pretty long, and I realise the Pros/Cons are specific to me, but now I've written that out.. the choice seems obvious.

There's some very sensible responses here (I suspect we're all getting older :rotfl:).

I'm going backwards and forwards between the options, as I know I don't need one, but I love tech. There's a few factors that are making this a hard choice for me, lack of time, family sharing, quick-resume, low budget (currently) - I'll try to cover them briefly as the first time I tried turned this into a long post..

I have a PS4 Slim, with VR, 2 Controllers, PS Move Controllers, 2TB HDD, Thrustmaster T150, Current PS+ and EA subscriptions (which I probably won't resume). I like it, however games take a long time to load and I don't have much time to play, quick resume is great but the family also use it, so half the time a different game is 'saved' when I return to it. I also have a HTPC, but it needs TLC as it occasionally just doesn't want to POST until I reset the BIOS - I use this more than the PS4, however.

PS5 Considerations:
Pros:
Potential single console under the TV.
My steering wheel will work with it.
PS VR is compatible
Gran Turismo?

Unsure:
I'm concerned about fan noise, Sony have a bad track record with the PS4.
PS VR is compatible, but not sure it'll benefit on the PS5.
Not sure if I'll need another camera for PS VR.
Backwards compatibility is an unknown.
I enjoy playing GT Sport with the guys on the forum, but I haven't done it much (I had the same problem with Driveclub) as I don't have enough time to learn the circuits/cars properly.

Cons:
The console looks horrendous (I know some people like it, I really really don't).
DS4 Controllers don't work cross-generation, I'll need to buy an extra one on top of the console.
I don't get much benefit from PS Plus, I only bought it for GT Sport online features, which I use rarely.
I tried PS Now, didn't get much out of it, games I did want to play left the platform too quickly for my liking.
EA Access/Play is very limited on Playstation.

Xbox Series X/S:
Pros:
Game Pass/Ultimate (currently using with my HTPC, discovered some gems), which I can share with Son 1 (PC Gamer) and Son 2 (Xbox Gamer).
EA Access/Play is included (also usable on PC!).
Cross-generation controller compatibility.
It'll be quiet, I'm confident of this.
Backwards compatibility is excellent.
Multi-game resume!
Xbox All Access, smaller monthly payment.

Cons:
My steering wheel won't work on it.
No VR, the PS4 would have to stay under the TV to placate the family.

OR, Upgrade the HTPC:
Pros:
More flexible, free games on Epic Games Store, able to run emulators (currently it's not powerful enough).
Game Pass (though I would feel more tempted to continue with this if I had an Xbox, strangely).
I can use it with my steering wheel (but have only ever done once, because it's not plug-n-play like the PS4).

Cons:
More expensive (VERY expensive if I want to match XboxSX/PS5 performance).
When I eventually upgrade my TV, HDR will be fiddly against the 'just works' of the consoles.
Games require tweaking to get consistent performance, I usually just choose something to give me 60fps-ish as I don't want to spend ages tweaking.
It can run emulators, as above, I'll spend ages tweaking them and probably never actually play the games.
I'm constantly on the hunt for components to upgrade it (I can't help myself, feel the need to remove the temptation).
When it stops working I need to fix it, which I don't have time / can't be bothered to do.
My youngest son is disappointed when it stops working and he wants to play.

It's still pretty long, and I realise the Pros/Cons are specific to me, but now I've written that out.. the choice seems obvious.
The biggest factors for you seem to be your steerinng wheel and PS VR compatibility. And it sounds like you like Game Pass on console, PC and the ability to share that.

So... what matters more? If you use your steering wheel and VR regularly I'd probably lean towards the PS5. If Game Pass matters more go with Xbox, or even PS5 and PC (I'd argue that Forza Motorsport and the Horizon series would be far more appealing than PlayStation's offerings, but granted wheel compatibility is probably a concern for you.)

Xbox Series S at £200 chealer is also a valid option if you don't have a large Xbox disc library.

Another potential factor if you have a young family of gamers sharing a console with their own accounts... are they invested in PlayStation or Xbox achievements/trophies, progress on current games, or play particular games with their friends that they can't go on another platform?

As fo PS VR, I wouldn't be worried about compatibility. VR is so niché Sony will be happy to have gamers on PS5 willing to throw money at games. I think it's highly likely they will continue to support the old PS VR headset indefinitely. They will absolutely introduce a new VR model for PS5, probably with OLED panels and higher resolution per eye, but that can be introduced while supporting the old one. If they do anything drastically game-changing with PS VR I suspect it'll be with the new controllers to replace the dated PS Move controllers.

Last edited:
I think the question on this thread will more prevalent after today’s Sony event and the pricing, presumably, is announced for the PS5.

Last edited by a moderator:
The biggest factors for you seem to be your steerinng wheel and PS VR compatibility. And it sounds like you like Game Pass on console, PC and the ability to share that.

So... what matters more? If you use your steering wheel and VR regularly I'd probably lean towards the PS5. If Game Pass matters more go with Xbox, or even PS5 and PC (I'd argue that Forza Motorsport and the Horizon series would be far more appealing than PlayStation's offerings, but granted wheel compatibility is probably a concern for you.)

Xbox Series S at £200 chealer is also a valid option if you don't have a large Xbox disc library.

Another potential factor if you have a young family of gamers sharing a console with their own accounts... are they invested in PlayStation or Xbox achievements/trophies, progress on current games, or play particular games with their friends that they can't go on another platform?

As fo PS VR, I wouldn't be worried about compatibility. VR is so niché Sony will be happy to have gamers on PS5 willing to throw money at games. I think it's highly likely they will continue to support the old PS VR headset indefinitely. They will absolutely introduce a new VR model for PS5, probably with OLED panels and higher resolution per eye, but that can be introduced while supporting the old one. If they do anything drastically game-changing with PS VR I suspect it'll be with the new controllers to replace the dated PS Move controllers.

I appreciate the time taken to read my rather long post, 'what matters more' is the question isn't it.
The problems I have with the PS5 are, the design, the (potential) fan noise, the need to buy MORE accessories (extra cost, more 'stuff') - those things together write it off (for now), despite how nice it would be to have one box under the TV.
None of us play really play online, and as the PS4 would stay put the only real loss would be Minecraft Dungeons progress (on PC).. that brings up the question of Game Pass value as well, the idea of it 'sells' itself to me, but the family have a select few games they like to play and they don't change often..

Perhaps I'm just looking for an excuse to buy new toys? :laugh:

I think the question on this thread will more prevalent after today’s Sony event and the pricing, presumably, is announced for the PS5.

I hope they're finally going to announce a release date & pricing, otherwise I feel they're going to have a very negative response!

I hope they're finally going to announce a release date & pricing, otherwise I feel they're going to have a very negative response!

They have had a few announcements which they've caveated with "no big news" but they haven't done that with tonight - so a full announcement is very likely.

For me, Xbox Series X for certain on day-1 (if I can) but I might wait a bit on PS5 since my pro has an annoying whine when it starts chugging away. So I may wait for phase 2 stock. Unless I cave, which is highly likely. I love my One X and am a bit wedded to that, so I like the idea of just getting lots of immediate upgrades to existing games and not being forced to buy lots of new games too.

Problem is, I also want a new Apple watch, and an Ipad Air - oh and the Quest 2. TOO MANY THINGS.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom