PS5 not supporting 1440p. What does that mean for HDMI 2.0 TV's?

waxamilion

Hey guys,

So apparently the PS5 will not support 1440p natively.

What does that mean for people with 4k 120Hz HDMI 2.0 Tv's?
Because I'm thinking, if I would want to utilize the 120Hz of my Samsung Qled, I would usually want do that at 1440p (the Xbox Series X supports that btw), because HDMI 2.0 wouldn't allow for 4k 120. So would the PS5 then just push the res down to 1080p at 120?

Please someone clear this up for me if I'm having a brainfart here.

Cheers,
Wax

zAndy1

Distinguished Member
Yeah the inevitable result will be having to use 1080p/120 if you want to play 120fps games which sucks quite frankly

waxamilion

Dang, seriously? So what I feared is actually true.
What happens if I send a 4k 120 signal (just for the sake of arguement. I know there won't be a lot of games capable of this at launch) from the PS5 to my TV's HDMI 2.0 port? Wouldn't my TV just lower the res to 1440p or is that not the way this works?

FadgewackeR

Distinguished Member
Dang, seriously? So what I feared is actually true.
What happens if I send a 4k 120 signal (just for the sake of arguement. I know there won't be a lot of games capable of this at launch) from the PS5 to my TV's HDMI 2.0 port? Wouldn't my TV just lower the res to 1440p or is that not the way this works?
I don't think the PS5 will send the signal, as a compatible 4k / 120 device would not be there to receive it.

next010

Distinguished Member
All devices scan whats called the EDID of a display, this is basically a list of supported resolution and refresh rates, so for your TV you will get 1080p 60Hz and 4K 60Hz.

You may or may not get 120Hz at 1080p.

Sony have only said HDMI 2.1 for 120hz and HDMI-VRR, they have never made any mention of 120Hz and Freesync over HDMI 2.0 given their lack of interest in supporting PC monitors, I hope I'm wrong on this.

crunchman

All devices scan whats called the EDID of a display, this is basically a list of supported resolution and refresh rates, so for your TV you will get 1080p 60Hz and 4K 60Hz.

You may or may not get 120Hz at 1080p.

Sony have only said HDMI 2.1 for 120hz and HDMI-VRR, they have never made any mention of 120Hz and Freesync over HDMI 2.0 given their lack of interest in supporting PC monitors, I hope I'm wrong on this.
Same, it'd be very anti-consumer/classic Sony to not offer VRR for HDMI 2.0.

next010

Distinguished Member
Looks like PS5 does not support VRR but it does support 120hz.

So yeah that is not good, because VRR is something that should be baked in at the OS level that all games should be made to be compatible with.

You cant just add VRR to a console system and expect it to work with all games, it wont which is what happened with Xbox One.

waxamilion

So this video of Digital Foundry is showing some gameplay in native 1440p here on the PS5:

What's happening here? Is the console supporting 1440p or not?

And also, is this something they could possibly change (via firmware update) in the future or is it a hardware limitation?

waxamilion

No the PS4 pro is running at 1440p upscaled to 4k
Why do they put "1440p native resolution" right there under the ps5 logo when comparing to the xbox series x version of the game then? Is it because it's a PS4 game that ran at that res and so PS5 can do those games at 1440p but new next gen titles won't support it? I'm really confused rn.

Last edited:

next010

Distinguished Member
Why do they put "1440p native resolution" right there under the ps5 logo when comparing to the xbox series x version of the game then? Is it because it's a PS4 game that ran at that res and so PS5 can do those games at 1440p but new next gen titles won't support it? I'm really confused rn.
Rendering resolution - what the game runs at.

Output resolution - what the system runs at.

PS4 Pro games generally had a native 1440p rendering resolution, the PS4 Pro would then scale this to the output resolution of 2160p (4k).

The PS4 Pro never supported 1440p as an output resolution.

The PS5 is a continuation of the same way the PS4 Pro operated, so it also ignores 1440p as an output resolution.

Xabi17

Does that mean if you have a 4K TV that has HDMI 2.1:

If the PS5 game can't be run at 4K @ 120fps/60fps you will get that.
If the game can't handle 4K @ 60fps, you will have to either drop down to 4K @ 30fps, or drop to 1440p rendering resolution (or even lower) to get your 60fps? But the PS5 would scale this to 4K @ 60fps output resolution?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom