PS5 Noise Profile (with and without a disc inserted)

rhodos

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Perhaps covered previously....
I had a launch day PS5 and tbh did find the fan noise a little more than I'd expected.
For other reasons I moved that PS5 on (sold) but do intend to jump back in at some point and thus want to query this more generally.....

I was wondering if noticeable fan noise (at say 8 feet) is common for PS5s (in and out of games) and more importantly is disc noice an issue. I literally can't stomach using a disc in my PS4 given the noise it creates and went entirely digital on PS4. However given the higher cost of PS5 games I'd be tempted to get disc versions so I can sell on completed games, but only if the disc is silent (once an initial validation check is done I assume as the game fires up). If there is noise then I can drop discs altogether and offset the cost of the more expensive Digital games by getting the digital only PS5 - so there is a decision point based on noise :)

Thoughts?

PS. I am a Playstation advocate, so this question of noise is genuine concern (I am very sensitive to background noise) and I am absolutely not trying to fuel any fanboy flames.

Last edited:
The PS5 is very quiet during general gameplay... I'm usually in a headset and when I take it off I'm always surprised by how little noise it's making... My other half who was constantly annoyed by the PS4 Pro fan doesn't complain anymore.

However, the disc drive is loud AF. So when it needs to read from a disc expect a lot of noise... I can mostly live with this as disc drives, in general, are quite loud.. they spin very fast and generate vibrations etc... But make no mistake it's louder than PS4, I thought my drive was faulty at first but now believe it's just a design flaw that affects some machines. The drive seems to make the top plate vibrate... if I give it a little knock or apply some pressure it will quieten down but should we really need to be doing this on a £450 console? I read something about people adding some padding to the top plate.

My controller is also faulty.. circle and square buttons are sticking.

However, the disc drive is loud AF. So when it needs to read from a disc expect a lot of noise... I...

My controller is also faulty.. circle and square buttons are sticking.

Thanks for that. I think my next PS5 will be a digital only one.

Be aware the PS5 uses at least 2 possibly 3 different fans, and fan type B is slightly louder than fan type A so its pot luck on what you get.

I wouldn't bother buying the digital version the PS5 has a crippling lack of storage your going to run out very quickly with it being digital only and Sony have no means to archive downloaded PS5 games on USB.

Games don't run off disc any more as its installed onto the internal SDD so the disc drive shouldnt be too bad unless your playing Blu-ray or PS4 games.

Last edited:
My ps5 is very very quiet, can barely even hear it up close.
But once an hour the Blu Ray drive does kick in and performs a seek (I'm assuming) and that's loud, but last just 5 seconds or so.

Mine makes a very annoying whir that actually gives me sore ears. Not because it's loud, just whatever the frequency is, it really bugs me. I use a headset though so no problem when using that.

Yea
I've heard of a lot of people complain about coil whine more than anything.
Oh mine buzzes, it goes on and off depending on what’s onscreen.
I use headphones so it’s not a major issue but it’s certainly not silent for the most part.
DE too

I wonder if the new batch coming through now will have addressed this issue?

Mine is near silent you have to get within 3 ft to hear anything, no coil whine either. I have not inserted a disk yet and I may never will.

Hi, Mine had the louder Nidec fan and as you say it’s more the pitch it outputs at, I’ve put some rubber o rings under it to try & dampen it but not much change, this is at least 8 ft away.

Coil wine is present (as it seems in most) but both the fan & coil wine also change depending on the game played, more demanding games such as MM greatly increases the noise profile. Will wait for stock to settle before reaching out to Sony but some have had the same or worse noise with the replacement consoles.

I have coil while when playing PS5 games (fine on PS4). And now I’ve started to get clicking noises after I put the console into rest mode. Digital Edition console.

https://photos.app.******/RUFVsSKPsUX5JeTc8

Edit: Forum appears to be blocking the goo . gl part of the url.

I wonder if the new batch coming through now will have addressed this issue?
Probably not.

Looks like it's something on the PSU that's emitting the coil whine. This changes based in load and power drawer.

Stupidly annoying.

I tried a uhd bluray to today in the PS5, first time since I bought the console. Blimey that drive really is loud. I thought it was broken until I read this thread.

I tried a uhd bluray to today in the PS5, first time since I bought the console. Blimey that drive really is loud. I thought it was broken until I read this thread.
Out of interest is it constantly as loud as when s game disc spins up? I was thinking it would be quieter...

Out of interest is it constantly as loud as when s game disc spins up? I was thinking it would be quieter...
Sorry, no idea. I don't have any disc based games.

Just got the full fat PS5 and even without disc in it, it makes an annoying little low-pitch noise - noticeable at night with sound low or in a menu. It’s like a warble wobbling thing, maybe a fan. Don’t know. Thankfully not screechy high pitch.

But still highly annoying after shoving my trusted old Day One PS4 into the back room which is silent, until it spins up a disc for a few seconds then returns to quiet. My old PS4 still loves to run games off the SSD I installed a while back.

The ps5 seems a step backwards.

The PS5 suffers from coil whine unfortunately which comes from, I believe, the built-in power supply unit so this might be what you're hearing rather than the fan.

i had a launch ps5 - from what ive seen on the internet its seems its not the disc tray or fan. it is the capacitors that is making the buzz sound. which changes in pitch. its the voltage going through the capacitors, and the capacitors cant deal with the high voltage, which the machine is pushed graphically, doesn't happen for me on the home screen, bit like a fridge sound. i got rid of my ps4 pro because its sounded like it was taking off. and now my until now whisper quiet ps5 has developed this high pitched annoying sound, which im assuming cannot be fixed and is annoying as hell. does anybody have any type of reasonable fix. the only thing that someone has said to try is go from horizontal to vertical. mine is currently horizontal. whats weird if you push gently on the middle of the panel. the high pitch is still there but lessons. so there is some vibration going on also.

My PS5 is pretty quiet (even after almost a year) and almost silent when compared to the PS4 Pro I had - really don't notice the noise it emits at all in normal use - disc drive another matter though. Even though it's a massive step in the right direction for Sony machines, my Series X is less noticeable again.

All in all though - this generation seems to have got a far better fan/cooling solution all round :)

I got hold of a PS5 last week, and I've noticed that the removal white plates vibrate and start knocking against the main black section of the console.

It's a minor annoyance, just wondering if this is common - I havent tried taking the plates off and re-attaching to see if that fixes it. Gets noticably worse with the disc drive going...

They are not "quiet" i have heard and seen quite a few of mates etc and they either have loud coil whine or a hum from the fan... The ones i have got recently one for me and my lad both seem to have the "louder" fan in and to be honest the coil whine can be less heard and more hum from the fan I think i prefer that and also its not much of a big deal for me i have headphones on so can't actually hear the console while gaming non issue for me.

Not like the OG PS4 and the PS4 PRO i had both systems was loud.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom