PS5 no VRR or ALLM?

Spoonablehippo

Bit disappointed to read that PS5 has no support for VRR (variable refresh rate) or ALLM (Auto low latency mode).

Anyone heard if these things will be added later, or is it a hardware thing??

Series X supports both, and I know both consoles are pretty similar so not sure!

crunchman

Bit disappointed to read that PS5 has no support for VRR (variable refresh rate) or ALLM (Auto low latency mode).

Anyone heard if these things will be added later, or is it a hardware thing??

Series X supports both, and I know both consoles are pretty similar so not sure!
Where had you seen that?

I haven't seen anyone mention it in their reviews yet so was a bit worried

Spoonablehippo

Where had you seen that?

I haven't seen anyone mention it in their reviews yet so was a bit worried
In the Digital Foundry review :-(
Also unlike the Series X, no support for 1440P :-(
Not an issue for me personally, but for some want to use it on a 1440P monitor...

Copy & paste of the relevant section of the review:

HDMI 2.1 features: 120Hz is there - but VRR and 8K are MIA
PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X herald a new console generation - but the emergence of exciting, cutting-edge gaming hardware doesn't kick off in a vacuum. To get the most out of the new machines, you may wish to consider purchasing an HDMI 2.1 display and I was curious to see whether Sony had matched Microsoft's impressive commitment to this and other display formats.

Dipping into the video settings, we're looking at functionality very similar to PlayStation 4, only this time there is confirmation of HDMI 2.1 support - in the form of 4K 120Hz output recognised as a display spec point in the video output report. However, it appears that the user has no control over setting the console to 120Hz mode: this is engaged as and when a game requires it. In fact, one of the few disappointments I have with PlayStation 5 is that the HDMI 2.1 implementation as it stands right now is somewhat lacking in terms of embracing the full feature set. Beyond limited access to a display's 120Hz features, there is no sign whatsoever that variable refresh rate (VRR) is supported on PlayStation 5 right now - and that's a real shame. This is more of an academic point, but the PS5's packaging also moots 8K display functionality. This is somewhat frivolous and borderline pointless in the here and now, but I tried to get it working on a gigantic LG 75NANO99 native 8K screen, and found that despite flagging 8K compatibility on the box, PS5 tops out at 4K resolution.

I also saw no support for ALLM - auto low latency mode. With both Xbox and Nvidia RTX cards, the LG display automatically switches into game mode when they are attached. PlayStation 5 does not do so, meaning that it's down to the user to manually engage game mode for the lowest possible latency and I have to wonder how many mainstream users are likely to actually do this. And yes, no native support for 1440p desktop monitors is also confirmed. I have an AOC AG271QX display, which works just fine at 1440p resolution on Xbox consoles (with VRR functionality, no less) but the same screen tops out at just 1080p on PlayStation 5, meaning that game outputs will be downscaled from 4K, then upscaled by the screen to 1440p. Mileage may well vary on other screens, but I suspect the best you can hope for will be downscaled 2160p from HDMI 2.0-equipped 1440p monitors.

crunchman

In the Digital Foundry review :-(
Also unlike the Series X, no support for 1440P :-(
Not an issue for me personally, but for some want to use it on a 1440P monitor...

Copy & paste of the relevant section of the review:

HDMI 2.1 features: 120Hz is there - but VRR and 8K are MIA
PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X herald a new console generation - but the emergence of exciting, cutting-edge gaming hardware doesn't kick off in a vacuum. To get the most out of the new machines, you may wish to consider purchasing an HDMI 2.1 display and I was curious to see whether Sony had matched Microsoft's impressive commitment to this and other display formats.

Dipping into the video settings, we're looking at functionality very similar to PlayStation 4, only this time there is confirmation of HDMI 2.1 support - in the form of 4K 120Hz output recognised as a display spec point in the video output report. However, it appears that the user has no control over setting the console to 120Hz mode: this is engaged as and when a game requires it. In fact, one of the few disappointments I have with PlayStation 5 is that the HDMI 2.1 implementation as it stands right now is somewhat lacking in terms of embracing the full feature set. Beyond limited access to a display's 120Hz features, there is no sign whatsoever that variable refresh rate (VRR) is supported on PlayStation 5 right now - and that's a real shame. This is more of an academic point, but the PS5's packaging also moots 8K display functionality. This is somewhat frivolous and borderline pointless in the here and now, but I tried to get it working on a gigantic LG 75NANO99 native 8K screen, and found that despite flagging 8K compatibility on the box, PS5 tops out at 4K resolution.

I also saw no support for ALLM - auto low latency mode. With both Xbox and Nvidia RTX cards, the LG display automatically switches into game mode when they are attached. PlayStation 5 does not do so, meaning that it's down to the user to manually engage game mode for the lowest possible latency and I have to wonder how many mainstream users are likely to actually do this. And yes, no native support for 1440p desktop monitors is also confirmed. I have an AOC AG271QX display, which works just fine at 1440p resolution on Xbox consoles (with VRR functionality, no less) but the same screen tops out at just 1080p on PlayStation 5, meaning that game outputs will be downscaled from 4K, then upscaled by the screen to 1440p. Mileage may well vary on other screens, but I suspect the best you can hope for will be downscaled 2160p from HDMI 2.0-equipped 1440p monitors.
Ah damn, 1440p on my Samsung Q70r is how I will be playing xbox at 120 fps, was hoping to do the same here :/

I swear my TV manages to switch to game mode for PS4 automatically now though...

Spoonablehippo

I swear my TV manages to switch to game mode for PS4 automatically now though...
My TV does with one One X, not with my PS4...
Maybe your thinking of when your TV switches to HDR mode?

On my LG, whenever the PS4 outputs a HDR signal I get a little icon appear!

Robothamster

Distinguished Member
I just have the HDMI port that my PS4 is plugged into set to Game Mode anyway, or is the benefit of ALLM so it switches only for games, but doesn't if watching a movie or show through the PS5s apps or bluray?

next010

Distinguished Member
I just have the HDMI port that my PS4 is plugged into set to Game Mode anyway, or is the benefit of ALLM so it switches only for games, but doesn't if watching a movie or show through the PS5s apps or bluray?
Yes that's its purpose, image quality in game mode for LCD's can be quite bad for movies.

ALLM is nothing more than a software feature, it was annoying Sony refused to support it on the PS4, instead they implemented a custom ALLM like mode only for Sony TV's for use with PS4.

next010

Distinguished Member
The way the PS5 works is rather strange.

For optimal usage of VRR you want
* 120hz output at all times.
* All PS5 games must be VRR compatible regardless of their target FPS.
* Low frame rate compensation were VRR doubles/triples frames below the VRR threshold putting them into the 48-120 VRR range (this requires 120hz output).

Instead the PS5 does not let you output 120hz rather only specific games that support 120hz will activate that mode on the TV.

So even if Sony add VRR its usage will be severely constrained to
* At 60hz output a 48-60 VRR range (helps only 60FPS games).
* No LFC at 60Hz (no help for 30FPS games).
* At 120hz output a 48-120hz VRR range could be used by the small number of games with 120hz output support.

This is not a good way to implement VRR or 120hz.

You should be able to simply select 120Hz as the output, engage VRR and all compatible games automatically make use of it.

Edit: DF is now saying it does output 4k 120hz via the Sony video menu, so I dont know, will have to wait and see when its available.

Last edited:

MarkPJ

So after all the HDMI 2.1 hype about it being essential for next gen gaming, the PS5 doesn't even utilise its features.

Glad I didn't just spend a fortune on a new TV just for gaming...

leeince

Distinguished Member
So after all the HDMI 2.1 hype about it being essential for next gen gaming, the PS5 doesn't even utilise its features.

Glad I didn't just spend a fortune on a new TV just for gaming...
I've just purchased 77" CX. Luckily the plan has always been Series X in the living (CX) and PS5 in the boys room (4K LED).

I would be pretty miffed if I was having the PS5 on the CX in the living room.

Is VRR something that can be added later?

shoestring25

Distinguished Member
frankly im surprised they can get away with it having 8k right on the front of the box but it doesnt offer 8k resolution

not that any game would use that but technically false advertising isnt it?

MarkPJ

Digital Foundry latest video highlights lack of 8k and the HDMI 2.1 non event.

Seems to be good news otherwise!

Big Starbuck

With a much better cpu I’m expecting more stable frame rates this gen and less screen tearing as a result but it would be nice to have this feature. My Samsung tv isn’t 2.1 rated but does support this feature and paired with my one x things are nice and smooth.

Mallett94

I've always manually put my TV into game mode for my games console and it stays there. I never really watched blurays or dvds on my ps3 until I got a PS4. Now the ps3 is my dedicated dics player and so that hdmi input is now left on the correct picture mode for that content. I don't use ps4 for media, only games. PS5 will be used on a monitor so no problem with input lag there.

As someone mentioned already, on Sony TVs there is an Auto Picture mode which will auto change the picture mode to game if it detects a PS3 or PS4.

It would be better if the PS5 supported the ALLM thing because I know a lot of people who never even knew game mode existed on their TVs and had been playing with awful input lag forever, but it had felt 'normal' to them :(

I would like to think that games will target and remain almost constant at 60 fps, 30 fps with ray tracing (which I don't really care about). I am very glad I didn't get caught up in the HDMI 2.1 hype. I'd rather have a solid and stable frame rate rather than it fluctuating all the time and having to rely on VRR to keep things smooth.

M0NTY

Standard Member
This is slightly annoying news as I have just brought a new LGCX and was looking forward to ALLM and not having to constantly switch game mode on and off!

Anyone know if you can set game mode to one of the HDMI inputs and off on another, or is it just on and off for all inputs?

I knew my Onkyo amp did not support VRR of ALLM so was always going to have the PS5 direct into the TV anyway.

Mallett94

This is slightly annoying news as I have just brought a new LGCX and was looking forward to ALLM and not having to constantly switch game mode on and off!

Anyone know if you can set game mode to one of the HDMI inputs and off on another, or is it just on and off for all inputs?

I knew my Onkyo amp did not support VRR of ALLM so was always going to have the PS5 direct into the TV anyway.
From my experience you can set Game mode per HDMI input on LG TVs. The only TVs I have come across which activate Game mode at a system wide level are Samsung TVs.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom