PS5 new AV setup

ytgti

Standard Member
Current equipment:

42" Sony Bravia W8 (2013)
Sony STRDN840 receiver with Tannoy SFX 5.1 setup
PS2 (component into TV), PS3 & 4 connected straight to receiver via HDMI, ARC to TV

Im looking at the Sony XH90 55" and just heard its getting its HDMI 2.1 update, which everyone seems to say its what to go for. But I'm not very knowledgeable about all this and curious as to where that leaves my receiver? It does 4K passthrough, but its only HDMI 1.4 so I'm guessing this will limit audio and visual, but to what extent or will it even work at all?

I'm preparing to have to upgrade my receiver as well, but funds will be tight so I'm not sure if i can do it when i get my PS5 and new TV or sometime after. I've had a quick search and wanting to stick with Sony I've come across the STR-DH790 for £300, would that be an affordable upgrade to compliment my new TV and PS5 and get the most out of them?

UMAR 3:16

At present i belive the only AVR's that do 4K @ 120fps are the Denon and Marantaz range. One of these will work nicely. You can keep your AVR and use PS5 but you will capped at 4K @ 60fps

Cha1ky

Distinguished Member
I'm not 100% sure with what it offers but couldn't you get away with using Audio Return Channel on the TV to your amp and the HDMI as you have been doing from the PS5 to the TV so you get the benefits on the visual and then the audio from the ARC channel?

I'm starting to think of these things myself so was planning on doing something similar with a soundbar.

UMAR 3:16

I'm not 100% sure with what it offers but couldn't you get away with using Audio Return Channel on the TV to your amp and the HDMI as you have been doing from the PS5 to the TV so you get the benefits on the visual and then the audio from the ARC channel?

I'm starting to think of these things myself so was planning on doing something similar with a soundbar.
That can work yes if you can set your TV audio output on PS5 HDMI to AVR out

ytgti

Standard Member
Thanks, I can live with 4K and @60 as Ive never been one to chase those numbers anyway. But having the PS5 and TV being capable id like my receiver to play along as well to get the full benefit. But I'll worry about that at a later date.

And correct me if im wrong but doesn't ARC only work if you plug the PS5 HDMI into the TV then pass that signal to the receiver via ARC? I'm sure thats what I read the other week but I've never really understood it or why id need to use it.

Zarf2007

Word is ps5 may not be affected by the bug

Paperlantern

From a setup perspective, I'm really hoping that you are able to turn on the PS5 with a Harmony remote unlike the PS4.

raadek

Standard Member
That can work yes if you can set your TV audio output on PS5 HDMI to AVR out
[bump]

I'm sort of in the same boat. Long story short, I'm on a lookout for a new AV receiver - but I was thinking about a budget, possibly 2nd hand option. But I'm also planning to buy PS5.
And now I'm torn, as there seem to be only two options:
1) Budget AV receiver (e.g. Yamaha HTR2071) and either PS5 video beign capped at 4k/60Hz, or PS5 video output connected strainght into my telly (LG 55C9, so in theory 4k/120Hz capable)
2) One of the very few, brand new (and more expensive) AV receivers, supporting 4k/120Hz pass-through (e.g. Yamaha RXV4A)

The thing is, option 1 seems to be a bit fiddly, bearing in mind PS5 has no optical audio output, just HDMI, so the audio needs to go from PS5 to the telly and then finally to the amp via ARC.

Option 2, however, sounds like a massive overkill for me - I most likely don't need half of the features included with these receivers.

SeanB88

Just thought I would drop this link here. I was after a new setup to go with the PS5. Turns out there’s a but in some chip causing audio lag at 120fps. So probably best to hold off on the receiver front

FadgewackeR

Distinguished Member
Just thought I would drop this link here. I was after a new setup to go with the PS5. Turns out there’s a but in some chip causing audio lag at 120fps. So probably best to hold off on the receiver front
Only way to go right now is PS5 to TV, Arc, or preferably eARC back to your receiver...

I've never been one to hang my hat on amp pass thorough. FOr the sake of an extra cable, you're not having to dance around the amp's HDMI standard, and you get better input lag response to the TV.

shoestring25

Distinguished Member
Ive always used pass through so i can get 7.1 uncompressed audio Arc doesnt do that. while earc is supposed to do that getting it to work is another matter .

FadgewackeR

Distinguished Member
Ive always used pass through so i can get 7.1 uncompressed audio Arc doesnt do that. while earc is supposed to do that getting it to work is another matter .
eARC to eARC connection challenges? Thankfully with what I’ve chosen that doesn’t seem to be an issue. Not looked much further into it than that. Are there supposed eARC TVs and amps that don’t function correctly?

ytgti

Standard Member
Hi guys, just an update.

So after receiving my PS5 on launch day i just knew it would bother me playing on a 1080p set (as awesome as it still looked!) so I caved in and ordered an XH95, which promptly arrived from Richer Sounds yesterday. So I'm settling on 4K @ 60hz.

The only way I could get 2160p and HDR to work after my PS5 told me my TV didnt support them was connecting PS5 to TV and use eARC, but as my receiver doesn't support eARC im losing out on uncompressed audio as its says its only Dolby D, not the usual PCM.

I'm still considering the STR-DH790as I mentioned in my OP but while it wasnt suggested for 4k @ 120hz, will this be fine for my 60hz needs?

NorvernRob

Distinguished Member
Hi guys, just an update.

So after receiving my PS5 on launch day i just knew it would bother me playing on a 1080p set (as awesome as it still looked!) so I caved in and ordered an XH95, which promptly arrived from Richer Sounds yesterday. So I'm settling on 4K @ 60hz.

The only way I could get 2160p and HDR to work after my PS5 told me my TV didnt support them was connecting PS5 to TV and use eARC, but as my receiver doesn't support eARC im losing out on uncompressed audio as its says its only Dolby D, not the usual PCM.

I'm still considering the STR-DH790as I mentioned in my OP but while it wasnt suggested for 4k @ 120hz, will this be fine for my 60hz needs?
I have that exact receiver with PS5 and an LG 65C8 OLED. Haven’t had much time to play yet, but COD and Astro’s Playroom look and sound superb. I run eARC TV to receiver then everything else goes into the receiver including the PS5. Switches to HDR straight away when I turn on the PS5.

Only strange thing I’ve experienced so far is whilst playing COD, the receiver has turned off a few times. Yet my lad has played 6+ hours of Astro’s Playroom whilst we’ve been there and it hasn’t done it once (nor ever before when in use), so I doubt it’s anything to do with the receiver itself.

ytgti

Standard Member
QUOTE="NorvernRob, post: 28661793, member: 124556"]
I have that exact receiver with PS5 and an LG 65C8 OLED. Haven’t had much time to play yet, but COD and Astro’s Playroom look and sound superb. I run eARC TV to receiver then everything else goes into the receiver including the PS5. Switches to HDR straight away when I turn on the PS5.

Only strange thing I’ve experienced so far is whilst playing COD, the receiver has turned off a few times. Yet my lad has played 6+ hours of Astro’s Playroom whilst we’ve been there and it hasn’t done it once (nor ever before when in use), so I doubt it’s anything to do with the receiver itself.
[/QUOTE]

Not sure if I'm barking up the wrong tree, but what speakers are you using? I see one review says it doesn't like 4ohm speakers so was thinking if you're playing COD with more intense (maybe louder) sounds it might be tripping it out?

But anyway I think I'll get one ordered.

NorvernRob

Distinguished Member
Not sure if I'm barking up the wrong tree, but what speakers are you using? I see one review says it doesn't like 4ohm speakers so was thinking if you're playing COD with more intense (maybe louder) sounds it might be tripping it out?

But anyway I think I'll get one ordered.
Various Monitor Audio in-wall and ceiling speakers. It’s done it with headphones too though (Steelseries Arctis 9) so I don’t think it’s speaker related.

NorvernRob

Distinguished Member
Just to go back to this and the fact I’m a complete idiot... :rotfl: I played COD for hours yesterday morning without the receiver turning off once. Then last night playing with headphones on, it kept turning off again. Why? Because auto standby was enabled by default, and as it wasn’t outputting sound from the PS5 it turned itself off every 15 minutes. :thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow

ytgti

Standard Member
Glad to hear. I'm not a fan of auto off although PS5 could have done with it last night i forgot to turn it off so it's been on 2 days straight now haha

shoestring25

Distinguished Member
I always have mine to turn off after 1 hour inactivity that way it gets to cool down after playing games rather than going straight off

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs and Projectors of 2020, plus AV, TV Show & Movie News & Reviews

Latest News

What's new on Netflix UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Warner Bros 2021 movies coming to HBO Max and cinemas simultaneously
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Disney+ UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
4K Streaming impacts carbon emissions says Royal Society
  • By Andy Bassett