PS5/LG OLED

Skip83

Standard Member
Reaction score
PS5/LG OLED

Hi, I am hoping someone can help me with this issue as I am completely lost. I’ll try and explain the problem as clearly as possible but please ask if more detail is required.

The set up is that I have an LG Oled and a PS5. There are of course other devices attached via USB and HDMI ports. Recently when I play the PS5, a number of things start to happen very frequently. The TV may turn itself off or off and then back on or the game may freeze, go to a single colour screen etc. The game is still playing in the background in that I can hear it and control it with the games pad and the events continue in game so the PlayStation itself seems uninterrupted by this happening.

When I instead plug in my gaming monitor to the PS5 I do not have this problem at all.

I was using my PlayStation headphones but tried without and no problem and again all fine when switched to my monitor.

I did try turning off the setting on the PS5 for HDMI device link in case something was happening there but no difference.

It is worth noting that the TV does not run in to any difficulty with any other use that I’ve discovered.

Please help if you can as this is a very frustrating issue.

I'd try changing the hdmi lead first to rule that out. When you say the tv turns off then on do you mean you get a black screen then it comes back on?

Will try the HDMI swap thanks, hopefully not as it’s the new Ps5 one but will start there.

Sometimes it goes black/off - makes the off sound, attached usb leds go off too - then all comes back on. Other times the picture will freeze (but game continues in the ‘background’). Other times freezes to a single colour screen or off colour game screen.

Once the tv is turned off and on all resumes for a very short period and then it happens again.

Thank you.

Strange how it seems the tv is actually powering off then on. I've recently had the change my ps5 hdmi although it wasn't the one they came with it as that was too short, however I had the screen going black then coming back on but not powering off completely.

If you have a spare lead try that for a day to see if it happens. If it doesn't then happy days, if it does then I'd be looking at the tv. Is there a device link option on the TV just to rule that out?

Thanks, I’ll check for a tv device link setting too although I feel that the fact sometimes it instead freezes before turning off is pointing to something else. Like the game is pushing the screen to ‘crash’ or something maybe … strange I don’t experience it anywhere else with the tv use. Maybe I need to test a less demanding game graphically etc.

It won't be the game causing it to do that. Try a different hdmi lead first, if it still does it then maybe try a reset of the ps5 and see if that resolves it.

Forgot to say as well, maybe try a different hdmi port for the ps5 with the existing cable and a new different cable as it could be the hdmi port on the TV. You never know.

It has just come to mind that it is worth adding this is something that didn’t happen previously and has recently started.

It has just come to mind that it is worth adding this is something that didn’t happen previously and has recently started.
It'll be a process of elimination unfortunately.

If You've got other devices just use 1 of their hdmi leads and use the same hdmi port on your tv. If it doesn't do it then I think its safe to say it was the hdmi cable.

If it still does it then use the same 2nd cable and plug it into another hdmi port on your TV and if it doesn't do it then I'd hazard a guess at faulty hdmi port.

If it still does it with a different cable and different port then I'd be looking at maybe a reset of the ps5 and seeing if that sorts it.

It'll be a process of elimination unfortunately.

If You've got other devices just use 1 of their hdmi leads and use the same hdmi port on your tv. If it doesn't do it then I think its safe to say it was the hdmi cable.

If it still does it then use the same 2nd cable and plug it into another hdmi port on your TV and if it doesn't do it then I'd hazard a guess at faulty hdmi port.

If it still does it with a different cable and different port then I'd be looking at maybe a reset of the ps5 and seeing if that sorts it.
Thank you for all your help so far.

It gets stranger as I had chance to do some quick tests tonight and tried a few games and it did not encounter the problem. As soon as I went back to Ghost of tsushima where I’d encountered the problems previously it started doing it again.

I haven’t had chance to try another disc based game like ghost only tired ones already on the Ps5 digitally so will need to test that but very odd.

I did turn off the TVs power on/off share function but based on the above test not likely to be the issue anyway. Confusion continues.

The game in question encountered no problems when played through my gaming monitor.

Hmmmm did you use the same hdmi cable with your gaming monitor?

Just wondering if there's some kind of resolution issue, but again it shouldn't cause your TV to power off.

It could be a combination of a couple of things, does the ps5 plug straight into the TV or do you have a sound bar or av receiver?

No it is a different hdmi with the gaming monitor so far.

you’d think the Ps5 hdmi should handle what it needs to unless perhaps a fault but it’s handled some other similar games.

Ps5 is straight in to the tv. I have a soundbar (not used at the moment but connected to the tv).

Nothing passes through each other both direct in to the tv.

yes it is very strange that whatever is going on with that game is causing the tv to react.

OK, have you tried the hdmi from your gaming monitor on the TV? If not I'd try that and also check the options for GoT to see if there's a resolution setting as maybe it's trying to output at a resolution that the TV doesn't like.

Secondly I'd disconnect the sound bar from the TV altogether as I wonder if that could be causing the TV to power off completely.

Well, after some experimenting, it would seem so far that I only get this issue playing Ghost directors cut on the tv. No other game thus far has done it. Also switched from resolution mode to performance mode in game and it still happens. I just hope I do not come up against this with any other game.

Having witnessed this issue several more times I would say more often the picture is freezing/crashing (on screen not on the Ps5) and it is the tv realising the screen has frozen that is causing the tv to switch off and on. Sometimes now not letting me turn back on until I unplug the tv.

Still no other issues with the tv. I’m lost ha ha.

My LG OLED TV takes ages to show anything when I turn on my PS5. I would swap the HDMI. but it's buried in the wall!

Well, after some experimenting, it would seem so far that I only get this issue playing Ghost directors cut on the tv. No other game thus far has done it. Also switched from resolution mode to performance mode in game and it still happens. I just hope I do not come up against this with any other game.

Having witnessed this issue several more times I would say more often the picture is freezing/crashing (on screen not on the Ps5) and it is the tv realising the screen has frozen that is causing the tv to switch off and on. Sometimes now not letting me turn back on until I unplug the tv.

Still no other issues with the tv. I’m lost ha ha.
Have you tried a nice, new HDMI cable? I use these exclusively and had no issues whatsoever:

Amazon product ASIN B08BS181P2
I'm on an LG 77GX

SKip depending on your LG Model ie the newer C1 or CX then i would buy a good HDMI 2.1 cable i have the Belkin ones, as that was all that was out when i got mine. All games are different, but not being technical i noticed when i had poor cables on Apple TV Dolby vision tried to work but made the TV Stutter, only when going to the proper one did it all work fine. Worth 20 quid if it helps :)

Thank you for all the suggestions. I have now experienced the issue with other games. I’ve done a bit of cable and port swapping and no joy fixing the problem. I haven’t bought a new cable yet but just so odd that I have no issue to my monitor just to the tv and the leads I’m trying came with the tv and then the one that came with my 4k monitor so should be up to the job. No other issues with either Ps5 or tv … they just don’t play nicely with each other annoyingly

In Ps5 try setting/screen and video/video output next to it there a 4K Video Transfer Rate, mine is -1 and did fixed the HDR flickering problem for me on 77C16LA.

Enjoy :]

Blows my mind you've not just bought a new cable yet :) No way on god's earth could I be pissing about with it for a month without trying a cable that you are certain is the correct spec.

Ps5 works just fine with LG OLEDS :)

No other issues with either Ps5 or tv … they just don’t play nicely with each other annoyingly
They do... Change the HDMI cable for a new HDMI 2.1 spec one and try from there.

What spec is the cable that came with your monitor?
Is the monitor 4k and HDR?
... other questions... but:

You've asked questions on a forum full of people with years of experience, and many with expertise of LG OLEDs and PS5. Overwhelmingly, the top suggestion is to change the cable yet after a month, you've still not done it.

If you change the cable, for a known good HDMI 2.1 spec, and then it's still doing it, there's something wrong with your TV, not LG OLEDs as a rule :)

I am beginning to think it’s an issue with the tv as you say. It’s great in all regards but perhaps my ports are faulty or something.

When I said they don’t play nicely together I did mean my particular tv not generally.

I’ve been inactive for a while but be assured I’ve tried many things, including a cable change. I haven’t bought a new one but tried the Ps5, Xbox series x and my 4k monitor cable, all of which should be the right spec, unless I’m missing something. Happy to buy new cables for the two consoles if I am wrong about this. I’m in touch with LG but they are yet to provide a solution.

This does also occur with my Xbox, with three different cables and different hdmi ports used. The monitor I reference is 4k/hdr.

I captured a video of what is happening in case anyone has any further thoughts but not sure if I can upload videos on here?

I truly appreciate all the help.

I am beginning to think it’s an issue with the tv as you say. It’s great in all regards but perhaps my ports are faulty or something.

When I said they don’t play nicely together I did mean my particular tv not generally.

I’ve been inactive for a while but be assured I’ve tried many things, including a cable change. I haven’t bought a new one but tried the Ps5, Xbox series x and my 4k monitor cable, all of which should be the right spec, unless I’m missing something. Happy to buy new cables for the two consoles if I am wrong about this. I’m in touch with LG but they are yet to provide a solution.

This does also occur with my Xbox, with three different cables and different hdmi ports used. The monitor I reference is 4k/hdr.

I captured a video of what is happening in case anyone has any further thoughts but not sure if I can upload videos on here?

I truly appreciate all the help.
Upload to Youtube and then just paste a link here :)

How long have you had the TV? I'd be having it collected if I were you, as it does sound faulty :(

Upload to Youtube and then just paste a link here :)

How long have you had the TV? I'd be having it collected if I were you, as it does sound faulty :(
Thanks, that’s great.

Had the tv about 11 months. LG have now started saying they will possibly look at repair.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom