PS5 LG C9 Stutter/Judder with 30FPS TLOU2 - fixed with compromise!

Ultrasonic

I'll
Yes, specifically the worst is Bloodborne, GoW 2018 is unplayable when run at 30 FPS and has ups and downs at 60 FPS.

My TV settings are very similar to those listed here for gaming at least. LG C9 OLED Calibration Settings

Thank you for taking a look!
I'm using the settings from the HDTVtest video in the thread I linked to above.

I'll give Bloodborne a try when I get chance. Maybe tonight depending how long it takes to download.

LetsSayHey

Novice Member
Yes, specifically the worst is Bloodborne.
Bloodborne from P+ Collection on PS5 was terrible on my LG OLED,tried for 5 minutes and then deleted it.
I have no idea if 30fps games is better on newer LG models than the B9/C9 models though.
It must be said that some people is more sensible to stutters than others.

Ultrasonic

A quick Google suggests that the Bloodborne issue may be more a game issue than a PS5 or LG TV issue that applies to all 30 FPS games. See the discussion in the first five minutes of this video for example:

Nikkk

Novice Member
Hi @sw00p Can you please try one thing? Turn off those tru motion off and go into your PS5 setting > video > 4k Bandwidth > set to -1. This will change your output from 4:4:4 to 4:2:2 but those pan camera judder/shuttering will be gone. You will need to set your HDR settings again in PS5 menu (those dark, white, symbol rarely visible etc thing)

I also own C9 and I can see difference immediately with God of War 4 (with the latest 4k 60fps patch). I also don't notice the difference in picture quality or maybe my eyes are not that good.

Anyway, give it a try and let me know!
oh oh oh, same problem hier with my LG C9.
4K bandwith -1 helps indeed, but now my sound is completely gone.....?! any tips?
btw. when switching bandwidths, do you have to re-calibrate HDR each time?

Nikkk

Novice Member
After serious testing with old and nieuw games I am proud to share a solution. The even most positive thing is: I must not use GAME mode on the TV. Result: we can choose again our own favourite motion blur routines like in the past. And I can continue to use technicolor expert mode for the PS, which has more options than game mode.

PS5 settings:

4K transfer rate: -1
Adjust HDR: do it after all settings are done
RGB range: Limited (---> on LG TV black point LOW)
sound: had to set it to dolby or dts. otherwise no sound

LG Oled C9:

any picture mode except GAME mode.
audio: HDMI ARC "through". eARC ON
choose whatever motion mode you prefer.

i am so happy i can use the PS5 the same way i used the PS4 Pro with the Oled.
LG has such a fantastic motion blur, that even with 60fps i would not want to miss it!
it can, because now GAME mode is off....!

nik

Nikkk

Novice Member

Nikkk

Novice Member
oh no....
i thought 4K Video Transfer Rate adjust to -1 is a general solution.
just bought "the pathless" for PS5 and now there is the judder again in graphics mode (30fps i guess). only performance mode runs smooth. i am really angry about that. the last of us 2 runs super smooth though.
Anyone knows whether "Demon's Souls" and "Control Ultimate" runs smoothly at graphics mode on a LG C9/Cx ?

GamerKonge

Novice Member
oh no....
i thought 4K Video Transfer Rate adjust to -1 is a general solution.
just bought "the pathless" for PS5 and now there is the judder again in graphics mode (30fps i guess). only performance mode runs smooth. i am really angry about that. the last of us 2 runs super smooth though.
Anyone knows whether "Demon's Souls" and "Control Ultimate" runs smoothly at graphics mode on a LG C9/Cx ?
I have poor framerate in Control on graphic mode on my B9 so im using Performance Mode and happy with that.You didnt get Control free last month?
I havent tried "Demon's Souls" but had the impression that this game should be one of the best on the PS5 when it comes to graphics and framerate....I could be wrong though
I havent tried the TLOU2 solution yet.

Last edited:

Nikkk

Novice Member
update: demon's souls runs smooth as it should on cinematic mode on LG C9. it seems "The Pathless" has troubles with their Cinematic mode. I will write them a case what is going on there. Furthermore i hope, that there will not be any more games with motion stutter in the future....

Nikkk

Novice Member
update: "Control" does a fantastic job with LG C9.
Furthermore i talked with LG several times. They said firmware 05.00.10 addressed the jitter issue. But still they are working on it for corrections. New firmware date not confirmed yet. "The Pathless" support did not react yet about jitter issue.

kanister10liter

Novice Member
I also have the problem with stuttering for PS4 games running at 30 FPS on PS5. PS5 outputs those games also at 60 Hz and not 30 hz. That is why all motion enhancers do not help at all, cause the PS5 send every frame 2 times.
Any option to set the PS5 output to 30 hz only?

next010

Distinguished Member
I also have the problem with stuttering for PS4 games running at 30 FPS on PS5. PS5 outputs those games also at 60 Hz and not 30 hz. That is why all motion enhancers do not help at all, cause the PS5 send every frame 2 times.
Any option to set the PS5 output to 30 hz only?

Nope.

Switch to 60fps were supported by game or try and reach out to game dev studio in the hope they update the game as the PS5 does have a hybrid back compatibility mode for PS4 games to take advantage of PS5 hardware without having to be redeveloped for PS5.

That's why your seeing an increasing number of PS4 games now getting 60fps patches on PS5.

Ultrasonic

I'd spotted that my TV indicated the output was always 60 Hz but I wasn't sure if this was accurate or not.

If the issue is as described above then presumably PS5 games running at 30 Hz would be affected the same as PS4 games. Are they?

I will say I did find the unpatched Ratchet and Clank a little stuttery and was put off playing it as a result.

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom