PS5 Headset

I recently sold on my Arctis 5's which were great, i'm now looking at upgrading to either 9, Pro+DAC or Pro wireless, i've come to the conclusion that the Pro+DAC version is the way to go a few reason for my decision.

The Pro+DAC is the only pair in the range that has Hi-Res Audio which has the greater frequency range over the 9's and below, the Hi-Res Audio works on the PS5 but not on the PS4, also the audio is better wired, i also like the ability to alter the EQ via the dac without having to go into the steelseries engine software on the pc, and finally at £200 on Amazon they are just £20 more expensive than the 9's.
So it's the arctis 9 Pro?
Could you please link me as there's a lot of variations.

@ozzzy189 So you don’t get a 3.5 cable with the Arctis 9 so haven’t been able to try them out with a cable as the Arctis pro wireless cable is different. I’ve tried the pro wireless out on Titanfall 2 (ps4 game) and on Astro playroom (ps5 as you know with both) with both wired and wireless on the Arctis pro wireless.
Wired and wireless on Titanfall both sound great, I had it on wireless full volume and it was certainly loud enough but not to loud and sounded great and I’m sure after the incoming update will only sound better.
With it wired I had it full volume but had to turn it down as it was to loud but sounded great also. I couldn’t use the volume wheel when wired but could when wireless.
On Titanfall the headset performed better wired but was still great wireless.
With Astro playroom both sounded equally good so I’m assuming a game with 3D audio implemented works well both wired and wireless.
I’ve ordered a 3.5 cable for my sons Arctis 9 so can try those when it comes but the pro wireless sounded much better than the 9’s on the two games I tried though I’m sure with an update from Sony on the audio the 9’s would sound amazing aswell.
Hope this helps
Cheers, that's very helpful. 😊

So it's the arctis 9 Pro?
Could you please link me as there's a lot of variations.
There is no Arctis 9 Pro. PlayStation Gaming Headsets | SteelSeries

The range goes

Arctis 7 Wireless RGB £159.99
Arctis 7p Wireless £159.99
Arctis 9 Wireless £179.99
Arctis Pro minus Gamedac RGB £199.99
Arctis Pro+Gamedac RGB £249.99
Arctis Pro Wireless £299.99.

Prices from the Steelseries site, available cheaper elsewhere ie Amazon.

Last edited:
I don't think that's capable of being used wired. It's also three hundred quid. Which is a bit overboard.

The steelseries 1 is both wireless (with a dongle) and wired with the 3.5mm cable

I have these on my PS5 ad they are really good, they use the same speakers drivers as the more expensive 7 series too

I don't think that's capable of being used wired. It's also three hundred quid. Which is a bit overboard.
It can be used wired. I use it all the time wired i to PS4 if all I'm using it for is chat when playing FIFA and I can't be bothered to move the transmitter box from being connected to TV for surround sound audio from TV shows and films :)

For me its comes down to wireless vs sound quality, The wired pro's with the better EQ settings on the gamedac and better audio courtesy of steelseries hi-res audio working on PS5 wins the day and at £200 from Amazon a real winner the pro wireless with its inferior audio isn't worth the extra £100.

For me its comes down to wireless vs sound quality, The wired pro's with the better EQ settings on the gamedac and better audio courtesy of steelseries hi-res audio working on PS5 wins the day and at £200 from Amazon a real winner the pro wireless with its inferior audio isn't worth the extra £100.

I realise some people prefer wired for the better quality audio but the wireless sound good to me and I can sit back on my sofa with no wires and with the second battery always charged thats great for me and would pay more for that 👍 everyone has different needs

I realise some people prefer wired for the better quality audio but the wireless sound good to me and I can sit back on my sofa with no wires and with the second battery always charged thats great for me and would pay more for that 👍 everyone has different needs

There's no wrong choice between the two, give me audio quality over convenience every time.

There's no wrong choice between the two, give me audio quality over convenience every time.
So the wired ones have hi res audio on ps5, not ps4?
Plus, you only connect to the dac when you want to mess about with the settings? And to do that you need an optical cable?
I've never used a dac before.

So the wired ones have hi res audio on ps5, not ps4?
Plus, you only connect to the dac when you want to mess about with the settings? And to do that you need an optical cable?
I've never used a dac before.

Yes the hi res audio now works on PS5 whereas before it would only work whilst connected to your PC.

There's a proprietary micro USB to 3.5mm cable in the box that connects direct to your controller if you don't want the Gamedac cluttering your space or you can just have the dac connected for better audio performance the choice is yours.

I think you can connect the dac via optical (back of tv) or usb. The dac acts as a headphone amp as well as having the ability to change the eq settings.

Last edited:
Yes the hi res audio now works on PS5 whereas before it would only work whilst connected to your PC.

There's a proprietary micro USB to 3.5mm cable in the box that connects direct to your controller if you don't want the Gamedac cluttering your space or you can just have the dac connected for better audio performance the choice is yours.

I think you can connect the dac via optical (back of tv) or usb. The dac acts as a headphone amp as well as having the ability to change the eq settings.

So how does the dac work into the telly whilst your headphones are connected to the controller?

So how does the dac work into the telly whilst your headphones are connected to the controller?

It doesn't, If your using the headphones connected to your controller and thats your prefered method, having the dac connected is pointless.

Trying to work out if its worth me buying the PS5 headphones,
From what I've read the 3d Audio works with all headphones.
I already own quite a few pairs of decent Over the headphones - Sennheiser, Sony , AKG would the PS5 headset give me better surround experience over them?

Trying to work out if its worth me buying the PS5 headphones,
From what I've read the 3d Audio works with all headphones.
I already own quite a few pairs of decent Over the headphones - Sennheiser, Sony , AKG would the PS5 headset give me better surround experience over them?

If you don’t want a mic then stick to your headphones as they’ll very likely be better than a gaming headset.

I'd save your money. The ones that have won't be worse and are probably of a higher quality.

I’m in no rush for a new headset so am waiting for the dust to settle, although the SS do seem to be good at 200 quid, despite including stuff I’ll never use.

I just realised I’m 50 next month.
Has anyone used audeze mobius on their ps5?
10,000th post!

I just realised I’m 50 next month.
Has anyone used audeze mobius on their ps5?
10,000th post!

50 next month, you old git!

I am 50 early March :D

What does suck is not being able to celebrate it properly. I had lots of plans this year, Singapore GP and Cuba. Maybe next year, the only positive is saving plenty of money at the moment, although I’d rather be out wasting it on alcohol.

50 next month, you old git!

I am 50 early March :D

What does suck is not being able to celebrate it properly. I had lots of plans this year, Singapore GP and Cuba. Maybe next year, the only positive is saving plenty of money at the moment, although I’d rather be out wasting it on alcohol.
So is my Mrs! 2nd

5th here 👍

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom