PS5 has suddenly started instantly switching off mid gaming

silvercue

Distinguished Member
Hi - as title says. PS5 has started just switching off. No warning - just instant black screen. Have to wait a minute or two and hold power to start it again.

My son was playing FIFA every time when it happened. (he hasn't played any other game since it started happening, I don't think it is the game). He has had this game since it was out with no issues previously.

My first thought was over heating but there is no evidence It is that (that I can see). There doesn't appear to be an increased fan noise - no clues at all, just instant switch off. Fan inlet/outlets seem clear. PS5 has 2-3 inches free space all around.

PS5 is over a year old so no warranty.

Any ideas?

Doctor Hades

It could be a power supply issue; the PS5 simply turning off when a certain power threshold is exceeded due to lack of power? You could try a different power socket to rule that out or, if you are using an adaptor, unplug everything you don't need and see if the issue persists. I assume you have checked that all the leads are firmly connected?

I would also suggest trying other games, both demanding and less demanding (indie releases) to see if the issue still happens with games other than FIFA. If it somehow doesn't then it would point to FIFA being the issue in which case I would suggest uninstalling and reinstalling the game and even moving it to the internal expansion SSD if you have one installed to rule out issues with the console storage.

However, I suspect that the issue will happen with other games as well as games do not generally cause that kind of behaviour unless the console was overheating but it doesn't sound like that is the issue from what you've described. The PS5, I believe, will actually report an on-screen error message if the console is overheating and then shutdown.

Hope you get it sorted.

silvercue

Distinguished Member
@Doctor Hades - thanks for the reply. I have used an air duster to clean the fans out. I have turned off HDMI link and Power saving. Still got the problem. All leads are securely attached.

The power socket has been used for a long time and powers a lot of devices via 4-ways etc. No other devices are dropping connection.

No error messages. I will see if I can find another power lead.

MrTea34

@Doctor Hades - thanks for the reply. I have used an air duster to clean the fans out. I have turned off HDMI link and Power saving. Still got the problem. All leads are securely attached.

The power socket has been used for a long time and powers a lot of devices via 4-ways etc. No other devices are dropping connection.

No error messages. I will see if I can find another power lead.
Are you still having the problem?
Have you got your ps5 vertical and also does it switch off when playing ps4 games?
I had the same problem with one of my sons ps5’s.

silvercue

Distinguished Member
Are you still having the problem?
Have you got your ps5 vertical and also does it switch off when playing ps4 games?
I had the same problem with one of my sons ps5’s.
Yes, still have the problem. PS5 is vertical. Not tried with PS4 games. How did you resolve it?

MrTea34

Yes, still have the problem. PS5 is vertical. Not tried with PS4 games. How did you resolve it?
I had to send it away to Sony but got it back with them saying nothing is wrong with it.
One time when my sons did it (his was vertical) I took the stand off it and that part of the ps5 was really hot but the system gave no signs of over heating it just turned off like yours is doing.
All I did was take the sides off and used a compressed air can to clean the fans, gave it a good wipe over and then set it back up horizontal and that solved it.
Whatever part is where the stand is placed when vertical must be what’s overheating as there are little vents there that get blocked by the stand. Give it a go and hopefully it will solve it.

PhilipPhilop

Deleted, was typing this on my phone, & my big dumb fingers don't do well, & it apparently posted while I was in the middle of it. Decided I should find a keyboard :).

Last edited:

PhilipPhilop

I've had the same thing, but only with 2 games. 1st was Deathloop, & more recently Elden Ring. For me it was definitely a temperature thing. I even complained to Sony while I was complaining about having to send the same dualsense back to them twice (R2, then L2 spring failures), after it had already been replaced by the shop once for stick drift. They replied regarding the controller & sent back a new replacement, but didn't even touch on me mentioning the console turning off.

Every time it did it with Deathloop, the back was red hot, & when it did come back on, the external hard drive would be corrupted, to the point it couldn't recover it, & I kept having to swap usb sockets until it would recognise the drive again. Finished Deathloop & traded it in straight away. Had to completely wipe the external drive, & re-install my PS4 Games. No problems with any other games, until Elden Ring. Don't play FIFA so no idea on that.

The most annoying thing is Elden Ring is a double wammy, the console gets hot, turns off, & then bitches at me that I didn't turn it off properly, complains that external HDD was disconnected, & then repairs it. Then the game bitches that I exited it without leaving the game properly. It's like the game & console are blaming me for not knowing the console is overheating.

I did end up sorting it though, took the covers off, took the fan out, cleaned the fan thoroughly, took the black cover off on the side the blu-ray drive is mounted in, & removed & as much of the dust out of the inside as I could physically get to through the hole where the fan was. I've done a complete strip down (motherboard out) on both a PS4 & a Pro, just to shut the noisy fans up, but didn't want to go that far with the PS5 yet. Once I'd cleaned what I could, I just kept blowing through every vent until dust stopped coming out (run out of compressed air, so good old lung power). Put it back together, & it's been fine since. The temperate on the back is nowhere near as hot, nor is it as concentrated in that one spot at the bottom. The heatsink vents that ran at the side of the fan were completely blocked. My PS5 is back in our open back TV cabinet, wedged between a PS3 slim & a Sky box (it's been sat on the floor next to the cabinet for a couple of months) & hasn't turned off since, & I've been playing a lot of Elden Ring.

Downside now is I've managed to crush the ribbon cable for the power light strip when putting the case back together, so no console lights at all. Ordered a new one from Ebay for £2.49, & the console still works fine, so no biggy.

Does annoy me that there's no warning before it turns off, & then the worry that will it actually come back on this time?

It's not great having to do this, & I think Sony have fobbed you off, but it wouldn't suprise me if it's dust that the air can just won't get rid off without taking the fan out. I'm not saying you should do it, but if you do, make sure you get a torx security screwdriver, the one with the hole in the end, T8 I think, as standard Torx don't work. It's not difficult, doesn't take that long, but you do have to peel off the warranty sticker on the black case for one of the screws. Make sure you check out a few PS5 teardown youtube videos. Oh, & be careful of that skinny little ribbon cable for the light strip.

Hope you manage to get it sorted.

PhilipPhilop

Mine appears to stutter more when it's a hot day, but it has not turned off.
Hadn't noticed that until GT7, but wasn't sure if it was related as haven't played it since cleaning it out. I've also seen other posts about GT7 frame rates so not sure. On the plus side, I've got power lights again.

Nomad1

Hadn't noticed that until GT7, but wasn't sure if it was related as haven't played it since cleaning it out. I've also seen other posts about GT7 frame rates so not sure. On the plus side, I've got power lights again.
GT7 definitely stutters in custom races and also in some other races.

But Returnal was stuttering when it was hot, likely needs better cooling.

PhilipPhilop

Mine powered off again today playing Elden Ring. It was in the TV cabinet but it's open front & back. Console is back on the floor again.

Wrote an email to Sony as I mentioned this to them previously when I was returning my controller. I took the console apart because they didn't even acknowledge that I'd raised the issue. I don't expect anything off them as it's 13 months old, & I've taken it apart, but had to get it off my chest. It should at least warn you when it's about to overheat. It also feels like the fan never speeds up to account for hotter temps as it's silent all of the time.

Stockpile Thomas

Distinguished Member
Hmmm…..reading this, my PS5’s over a year old. I see I can get £475 for it from CEX as it’s pretty much mint and I have the box. I could do that and buy a new one with a year’s warranty.

Not much use to you guys with the issues I know but might be a good preventative measure for others before it happens.

PhilipPhilop

Well, it's been better for a while, but then Elden ring did it again a couple of days ago...twice.

As Sony hasn't replied to my snotty email, I decided to bite the bullet & take the bloody thing to bits as I had read that it's possibly the power supply that's overheating due to dust buildup.

4.jpg

Heatsinks that I couldn't get to before are a little bit fluffed up, but not too bad.

2.jpg
1.jpg

Time for the power supply. I'd say I'm reasonably certain that air doesn't flow through holes that no longer exist.

3.jpg

Cleaned out, back together & fully working. Only time will tell if it's fixed the problem, but as most of the airflow seems to go the the bottom rear of the console where the PSU is located, it may make a difference. Took about an hour + a little bit more when I had to re-open it because I forgot to plug the blu-ray ribbon cable back in (doh). Not difficult, just unnerving the 1st time.

PS4 & Pro were opened up all the time, but that was to sort out noise issues, not crashing. I feel like the fan should maybe ramp up at some point as it's near silent for me, even 3 seconds before it shuts itself off. A bit more breeze might have kicked some of that dust out of the back.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom