PS5 General Chat

personally i would prefer the over engineered model with the larger heatsink why wouldnt a larger heat sink be better? more surface area surely ?
Because it makes absolutely no difference to you as the end user. It makes the system lighter and also of course makes it a little cheaper and easier to produce.

As an end user games play exactly the same and your console may expunge a little extra hot air - who cares?

I would always choose over engineered rather than bare minimum
That's silly though. More heatsink there is the more dust it collects and more chance it fails...

All depends how you look at it.

Just chucking 'more of something' at the problem is not a good solution and the initial design was clearly rushed. Its like saying put 10 layers of sealant round my shower tray just to be sure. Yes its less likely to leak. But it will look a right mess....one layer is sufficient if done properly.

That's silly though. More heatsink there is the more dust it collects and more chance it fails...

All depends how you look at it.

Just chucking 'more of something' at the problem is not a good solution and the initial design was clearly rushed. Its like saying put 10 layers of sealant round my shower tray just to be sure. Yes its less likely to leak. But it will look a right mess....one layer is sufficient if done properly.
or looking at it the other way the more heatsink surface area there is it can mitigate the areas being blocked up by dust that a smaller heatsink couldnt

I got to say that's not something I can get behind. Its in fact the opposite, the more heatsink the more dust it can take before it has a significantly negative affect and of course the idea is have filters etc as to not get that and enjoy the better cooling prior to some kind of dust-aggedon.

I do agree more isn't always better but in cooling solutions regarding size/wieght if often is. Sure I can come up with example where more is and isnt better but I dont need to as its only heatsinks we are talking about not salt on my food or money in my bank account.

I dont think this is really a thing, no harm to new PS5 owners who get one. I think Sony got pushed on the cost a bit at launch, it was suppose to be £499 (in my opinon) and MS came out with £450 and they matched it. Now they have good data to get its cost down a bit etc , with no sound increase it seems, so a couple of degrees more - its nothing. But I am glad I have the one with the bigger heatsink, I cant help myself. As I will be adding a NVMe in future I want the possiblilty of lower temps as I am a bit of a cooling nerd.

Last edited:
Lots of replies but no responses to my problem... I assume nobody else has had this happen to them, then?

Lots of replies but no responses to my problem... I assume nobody else has had this happen to them, then?
I booted up the other day, and where your no entry symbol was, my ps5 showed a mic. could it be just because you have no mic connected?

Edit, just relooked at your pic and your symbol is on the log-in screen, not the screen once logged on which is where my mic symbol shows, so probably no help whatsoever...

Yeah I've got 3 controllers but can't get any of them to work so I've been stuck on the login screen for a few days now. Probably bricked.

Yeah I've got 3 controllers but can't get any of them to work so I've been stuck on the login screen for a few days now. Probably bricked.

I'm sure you've probably tried this but have you done below.

Turn off your PS5 console by pressing the power button. ...
With the system completely off, press and hold the power button again. ...
Connect the controller with the USB cable and press the PS button on the controller.
Your PS5 has now started in Safe Mode.

I'm sure you've probably tried this but have you done below.

Turn off your PS5 console by pressing the power button. ...
With the system completely off, press and hold the power button again. ...
Connect the controller with the USB cable and press the PS button on the controller.
Your PS5 has now started in Safe Mode.
I haven't! I will try when I'm back home, thank you.

so let me get this right if i play these ps4 games on a ps5

order 1886 on a ps5 its 1080p no improvement
killzone shadowfall it will run at1080p 60fps not 30fps
Detroit become human i will be playing the ps4 pro version
days gone gets a ps5 patch that runs at 4k 60fps
miles morales i can get free upgrade to the ps5 version
ghost of tushima i have to upgrade to directors cut then pay for the ps5 upgrade
death stranding i pay for the ps5 upgrade
horizon forbidden west cant upgrade i would be paying the ps4 pro version on ps5

You want Sony's "Intelligent Transportation"
If only a game console would Deliver us something like that....would be Smart if they did.

so let me get this right if i play these ps4 games on a ps5

order 1886 on a ps5 its 1080p no improvement
killzone shadowfall it will run at1080p 60fps not 30fps
Detroit become human i will be playing the ps4 pro version
days gone gets a ps5 patch that runs at 4k 60fps
miles morales i can get free upgrade to the ps5 version
ghost of tushima i have to upgrade to directors cut then pay for the ps5 upgrade
death stranding i pay for the ps5 upgrade
horizon forbidden west cant upgrade i would be paying the ps4 pro version on ps5
Horizon forbidden west only allows an upgrade from PS4 to PS5 if you buy the deluxe version. That isnt good it sucked when remedy/505 did that for control. This sort of practice is just very 2005 and needs to die. I’m pretty sure considering the huge backlash they will have to change that decision before the game is released. It’s just bad especially in light of the console shortage that will go on beyond the release of the game.

It's the same for FIFA 22 on both consoles by the way, you need the Ultimate Edition to get both last and next gen versions.

Well well well...

20210902_225222.jpg

That's super old news?

It is but they actually said HFW would get a free upgrade and now that's changed for some reasons.

It is getting a free upgrade …….

….. if you buy the digital deluxe on PS4.

Not going to "promote" him with a link but Austin Evans made a follow up video if anyone is interested in that.

Last edited:
Boohoo, poor Austin.

I actually made it through that video! :)

Let's face it, he knew what he was doing with the video title and content and it panned out exactly as he expected and he got loads of views and publicity with it.
I don't agree with the hate speak and threats obviously but that's the idiots on the web for you.

Pretty much a mountain out of a molehill really.

I actually made it through that video! :)

Let's face it, he knew what he was doing with the video title and content and it panned out exactly as he expected and he got loads of views and publicity with it.
I don't agree with the hate speak and threats obviously but that's the idiots on the web for you.

Pretty much a mountain out of a molehill really.
He has over 5M subs. I doubt in reality it was a clickbait thing. I imagine anyone with such a large youtube channel is going to from time to time make a video that just misses the mark.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom