PS5 General Chat

Lancia34

Distinguished Member
He has over 5M subs. I doubt in reality it was a clickbait thing. I imagine anyone with such a large youtube channel is going to from time to time make a video that just misses the mark.

I was shocked when I saw he had 5m subs!

I dont think I have watched one of his videos before these two latest PS5 ones, but I am getting he idea is not a popular figure on here - is he know for BS normally or is it his manner in his videos that people dont like. Seems like he is posting stuff thats at least interesting unlike most of YouTube, like getting a new PS5 before anyone else and doing a tear down. Whats the deal with the dislike of him ? Genuine question.

shoemaker666

Distinguished Member
I dont think I have watched one of his videos before these two latest PS5 ones, but I am getting he idea is not a popular figure on here - is he know for BS normally or is it his manner in his videos that people dont like. Seems like he is posting stuff thats at least interesting unlike most of YouTube, like getting a new PS5 before anyone else and doing a tear down. Whats the deal with the dislike of him ? Genuine question.

I think its because people dont like his opinion

on PS5 or in general ? I mean I get not liking someone I find Linus annoying and tend to avoid his stuff if I can but I dont dislike him personally.

Peew971

I've watched him a few times in the past, I don't mind him and he's really a PC guy. I don't think his assessment was wrong there, if the heatsink is smaller and everything else is the same then the console getting (very slightly) warmer is evidence that the console is objectively worse. Not to a degree that it actually matters but in this day and age you can't really say too much negatively against any console.

Robothamster

Distinguished Member
I just think he's annoying as soon as he speaks. Would be the same if he was a scouser, no offence to any in here but people like John Bishop have the same affect on me.

Lancia34

Distinguished Member
I hadn’t heard of him before these videos but from what I’ve read he’s not the most knowledgable as well as a tad annoying.
Personally I stick to Gamer Nexus for most stuff as he really knows his stuff and does proper tests and tears-downs with no speculation or opinion.
Jay2Cents is pretty decent too. Linus I struggle to watch a video of, just him or the way he goes his.

mark1080p

Yeah he’s annoying and don’t like any of his videos.
Gamer Nexus is good really in depth, but find his presentation a bit quick and monotonous when going through the nitty gritty, so tend to switch off a bit.

I like Jay2cents he does some cool case mods and learnt a lot of PC building tips from him.

I can see why people find Linus LTT annoying (a little hyperactive and high pitched) but don’t mind his videos, some are quite entertaining. Same goes for PC Centric the brit version of Linus.

Lancia34

Distinguished Member
Yeah he’s annoying and don’t like any of his videos.
Gamer Nexus is good really in depth, but find his presentation a bit quick and monotonous when going through the nitty gritty, so tend to switch off a bit.

I like Jay2cents he does some cool case mods and learnt a lot of PC building tips from him.

I can see why people find Linus LTT annoying (a little hyperactive and high pitched) but don’t mind his videos, some are quite entertaining. Same goes for PC Centric the brit version of Linus.

Linus does know his stuff as well. Hoping Steve from GN does a proper thermal test as he seems to pretty much the most thorough at that.

We all know Sony wouldn’t release a less competent version so presume it’s either better designed (which it looks like it is) as well as money saving and all within their heat tolerances.

zt1903

Distinguished Member
I've watched him a few times in the past, I don't mind him and he's really a PC guy. I don't think his assessment was wrong there, if the heatsink is smaller and everything else is the same then the console getting (very slightly) warmer is evidence that the console is objectively worse. Not to a degree that it actually matters but in this day and age you can't really say too much negatively against any console.

But everything else isn’t the same, the fan was changed too.

And he was measuring the heat where it comes out, which is irrelevant, the heat of the components is what matters.

The contrary take is that the old heat sink was over-engineered and reducing it sensible, and that the console remains within the thermal limits. This was Digital Foundry's view.

Cloysterpeteuk

Distinguished Member

And he was measuring the heat where it comes out, which is irrelevant, the heat of the components is what matters.

The contrary take is that the old heat sink was over-engineered and reducing it sensible, and that the console remains within the thermal limits. This was Digital Foundry's view.

No, the fan wasn’t changed, it's just the fan they’re comparing against is not the same model, I doubt Austin Evan's even realises the PS5 uses three different fan designs. Whether you get a Nidec, Delta or NMB is luck of the draw.

Yeah its funny as I don't think anyone really thinks differently to this, its become one of those very subtle differences of language really.

Everything I have seen, including from young Austin, basically agree's there is no observational difference and that Sony have tweaked it to save money and will keep thing well with in tolerances etc Its just the external exhaust temp and the assumption that its proof its running hotter that seems to be the thing disagreed on, which is cos its possibly right and possibly wrong. Perfect Internet discussion material.

It could be that it runs hotter and the measurement of the exhaust temp rise observed is a symptom of this but its also not definitive and needs to be checked internally, hence the perfect storm for some to say its 100% fact and others to say its got nothing to do with internal temps - 100% false. It could in theory be either - personally I think it will be shown to be slightly hotter internally but without testing its based on most likely rather than full fact. And again its going to be very PS5 made from now on, so by the end of 2022 there will be more of these than OG PS5 most likely and we will be known as the heavy PS5 owners.

iwb100

Distinguished Member

You only had to look at it to know it was a rushed design that would be iterated on over time. And the heatsink size was overkill.

I think DF are spot on. Though some measurements of chip thermals would be good just to see exactly what is going on.

End of the day a few degrees here and there are pretty irrelevant to modern chipsets.

stigdu

Banned
I'm sure you've probably tried this but have you done below.

Turn off your PS5 console by pressing the power button. ...
With the system completely off, press and hold the power button again. ...
Connect the controller with the USB cable and press the PS button on the controller.
Your PS5 has now started in Safe Mode.

I just wanted to say thank you for the tip. I didn't get to try it, as it seems to be working again now. Very bizarre.

FadgewackeR

Distinguished Member

FadgewackeR

Distinguished Member
it just seems crazy to me that you can play as ps5 game with a dualshock 4 but not on a ps5
TBF, I wouldn't want to play a PS5 game with a DS4 if I had the choice, but being able to in a bind without having to remote play might be useful :)

Tim2049

Anyone else putting off getting a PS5 because it's such a giant, white monstrosity?

I'm holding out for a black version, but i can't help but think that'll be years away. Tad frustrating...

FadgewackeR

Distinguished Member
Anyone else putting off getting a PS5 because it's such a giant, white monstrosity?

I'm holding out for a black version, but i can't help but think that'll be years away. Tad frustrating...
Nope... barely notice it under my tv to be honest and thought I'd hate it...

If it's the colour putting you off, get some black side plates :)

shoemaker666

Distinguished Member
TBF, I wouldn't want to play a PS5 game with a DS4 if I had the choice, but being able to in a bind without having to remote play might be useful :)
i annoys me that you have to buy a second dualsense controller to play coop games or as a spare when ive got a perfectly fine dualshock 4 sitting here

I think the lack of support for older controllers is part of Sony choice as it stops 3rd parties dead. . I mean there are no 3d party controllers at all and likely wont be until the Haptics are allowed, which I suspect are copyright so cannot be implemented. I wonder if there will actually be any 3rd party controllers this generation for PS5.

Now personally I don't buy 3rd party much anyway but its nice to have the option for the cheap one for your occasional 2nd player.

Robothamster

Distinguished Member

There's so many options available to not have it in white these days, £20 ish and job done.

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Chord Electronics launches Anni desktop amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Roku announces new Streaming Stick 4K and OS 10.5
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
T+A announces high end 200 Series audio components
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Trinnov Altitude update adds new features