Ps5 games only crashing.

Zoz

Established Member
Reaction score
My ps5 was bought on release day, and until recently, had zero issues with it. I downloaded siege of Paris update for Valhalla and the game freezing and crashing started. At first it was no more than can often happen with a new glitchy game. Couple of times over 6 or 7 hours of gameplay over a couple of days. It just kept getting progressively worse.
I decided to delete the entire game and download it again. As I was waiting for it to download I tried to play Greedfall, ps5 version. That too froze and crashed. Sent the error report, back to console home page.
I played a PS4 pinball game. No problems.
Subsequently, every PS4 game I have tried works fine. Both from the internal hard drive and external drive. All ps5 games freeze and crash.

Has anyone heard of anything like this? Strange that it would happen now over half a year of trouble free gameplay? Cheers in advance for any information.

Are you playing the ps5 games via a physical disc as you haven't said which ps5 you have. If you're playing via a physical disc then the drive could be failing or have dirt in it.

No. I do have the disc drive version, but I haven't tried the two physical discs I have yet. All the games I have tried have been from the hard drive.

No. I do have the disc drive version, but I haven't tried the two physical discs I have yet. All the games I have tried have been from the hard drive.
Strange how ps4 games are OK and ps5 games are not. How was valhalla after you downloaded it?

C
Strange how ps4 games are OK and ps5 games are not. How was valhalla after you downloaded it?
Complete head scratcher. The re-downloaded Valhalla froze again. I played black flag for a solid afternoon afterwards. At least 5 hrs. Then loaded up astro's playroom and it froze within 5 minutes. The Valhalla incidentally didn't even get to the playing stage. It crashed in the menu.
I have no doubt if I downloaded the PS4 version that would work. I'm going to do it for piece of mind, and also use a physical disc of a ps5 game. Fenyx. That's exhausted everything then. The PlayStation web site says in safe mode try and rebuild the database. I will when I've done those two things I have just mentioned. It's very strange though. I can't get my head round it, that's why I thought I'd air it out here...?

Since PS4 games are working fine & you've stated that you have an external HDD, I assume the PS4 games are installed on/ played from that as opposed to the internal SSD? Sounds to me like your internal drive is faulty, which could explain why PS4 games play fine but not PS5 games. I'd get hold of sony customer support.

Edit: PS4 games stored internally don't take full advantage of the SSD capability, if you're playing PS4 games from the internal drive a faulty could also explain why they work but PS5 games don't.

I've also had problems with only PS5 games. I've unstalled, reinstalled, factory reset, and redownloaded software update. The games I'm having problems with is NBA2k22 and Ps5 Version of Fortnite. I called Psn customer support and sending my console in for a service once I receive the box, should probably get it back within 30 days. I've had multiple people tell me they have had the same issue with only ps5 games. They will freeze mid game and crash or that their system will completely turn off. Then when turned back on give the error of the system being turned off improperly. Hopefully I get good luck after my system is serviced.

I've also had problems with only PS5 games. I've unstalled, reinstalled, factory reset, and redownloaded software update. The games I'm having problems with is NBA2k22 and Ps5 Version of Fortnite. I called Psn customer support and sending my console in for a service once I receive the box, should probably get it back within 30 days. I've had multiple people tell me they have had the same issue with only ps5 games. They will freeze mid game and crash or that their system will completely turn off. Then when turned back on give the error of the system being turned off improperly. Hopefully I get good luck after my system is serviced.
They didn't send me a box!! They sent me an email telling me how they expected me to package it back up, and the label for postage. All of my ps5 titles froze. It wasn't any specific game. All ps5 titles froze then crashed but PS4 titles worked fine. I was told they expected to get my console sorted within 2 weeks. It's almost been that now ......

Having the exact same issue got my console on release day zero issues with any games at the start. Not really sure at what point it started but I have tried every configuration and it boils down to the system shuts itself off only when playing ps5 games digital and disc versions only.. all ps4 games work. Rest mode doesnt matter, external storage connected doesnt matter. Ive rebuilt database, complete reinstall a few times and no luck... calling ps support tomorrow hopefully they can fix it in a timely manner. Anyone dealt with support on this issue and got thier console back? Did they end up fixing it and what was the turn around any info on that would be appreciated.!

Having the exact same issue got my console on release day zero issues with any games at the start. Not really sure at what point it started but I have tried every configuration and it boils down to the system shuts itself off only when playing ps5 games digital and disc versions only.. all ps4 games work. Rest mode doesnt matter, external storage connected doesnt matter. Ive rebuilt database, complete reinstall a few times and no luck... calling ps support tomorrow hopefully they can fix it in a timely manner. Anyone dealt with support on this issue and got thier console back? Did they end up fixing it and what was the turn around any info on that would be appreciated.!
My sons PlayStation has had this problem. Ps4 games are fine but as soon as he played Fortnite the system just hard crashes and we had to turn it off at the plugs to get it back on, which you then get the message about not turning the console off properly.
Tried all the things you did but no luck so sent it away to Sony and they sent it back saying there was nothing wrong (it took two weeks) and all was fixed but as of a couple of days ago it’s started again.
I took the plates off and cleaned inside and used a compressed air can to clean the fan but it still did it.
Do you have your ps5 horizontal or vertical?
His is vertical and when I went to take the stand off so I could make note of the model and serial number the bottom part of the ps5 was really hot but the fans on the back weren’t but there does look like there’s some vents of some sort on the bottom which the stand blocks when in the vertical position.
I did abit of looking on the internet and YouTube and another guy who had this problem changed his from vertical to horizontal and that solved the problem so I’ve put it on its side last night and will wait and see what happens.
Another thing to try is to reset the console but I don’t see how that would help as it started all of a sudden and doesn’t do it with ps4 games but just the more demanding ps5 games.
There’s a lot of people with the same problem, let me know how you get on and what Sony said 👍

I currently have mine vertical in a cooling stand.... but now that i think about it i dont recall having the issue when it was setup horizontal (thats not to say it for sure didnt, i just recall it doing it sitting horizontal...) dont know how sony can send it back saying nothings wrong clearly this isnt an isolated incident. Fingers crossed making the call right now to support.

I currently have mine vertical in a cooling stand.... but now that i think about it i dont recall having the issue when it was setup horizontal (thats not to say it for sure didnt, i just recall it doing it sitting horizontal...) dont know how sony can send it back saying nothings wrong clearly this isnt an isolated incident. Fingers crossed making the call right now to support.
My ps5 and my eldest sons are both setup horizontal and mines in a tv cabinet and I’ve played plenty of ps5 games and not had the problem once. Told my youngest to play Fortnite to test it out and he played about 30 mins last night and no issues but it’s needs a decent session to test it but fingers crossed moving it to horizontal sorts it out otherwise it will be another call to Sony

Hi there.
After finally sending my console off, I got it back 3 weeks later..... roughly. Except it looks like a brand new unit. It's definitely not my original one because the number is different. If it's a refurbished model, it's in 100% brand new condition! No scuffs or tell tale previously owned marks. What they didn't do was tell me exactly was wrong with the previous unit. I've had zero feedback.
Whatever the problem was they obviously prefer to just send you a working machine.

Since giving my sons ps5 a good clean and then putting it on its side instead of vertical we’ve had no crashes when playing Fortnite 👍

Since giving my sons ps5 a good clean and then putting it on its side instead of vertical we’ve had no crashes when playing Fortnite 👍
Very odd that never heard of this before. They might of fixed something in the newer version of the ps5 slightly different model.

Very odd that never heard of this before. They might of fixed something in the newer version of the ps5 slightly different model.
There’s afew people it’s happened to looking on Reddit and YouTube. a friend of ours had the same problem and had to send there’s away. It is strange though me and my eldest have ps5’s and never a problem though have always had ours horizontal and now my youngest sons is horizontal the problem has gone

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom