Ps5 games only crashing.

Zoz

My ps5 was bought on release day, and until recently, had zero issues with it. I downloaded siege of Paris update for Valhalla and the game freezing and crashing started. At first it was no more than can often happen with a new glitchy game. Couple of times over 6 or 7 hours of gameplay over a couple of days. It just kept getting progressively worse.
I decided to delete the entire game and download it again. As I was waiting for it to download I tried to play Greedfall, ps5 version. That too froze and crashed. Sent the error report, back to console home page.
I played a PS4 pinball game. No problems.
Subsequently, every PS4 game I have tried works fine. Both from the internal hard drive and external drive. All ps5 games freeze and crash.

Has anyone heard of anything like this? Strange that it would happen now over half a year of trouble free gameplay? Cheers in advance for any information.

lee667

Distinguished Member
Are you playing the ps5 games via a physical disc as you haven't said which ps5 you have. If you're playing via a physical disc then the drive could be failing or have dirt in it.

Zoz

No. I do have the disc drive version, but I haven't tried the two physical discs I have yet. All the games I have tried have been from the hard drive.

lee667

Distinguished Member
No. I do have the disc drive version, but I haven't tried the two physical discs I have yet. All the games I have tried have been from the hard drive.
Strange how ps4 games are OK and ps5 games are not. How was valhalla after you downloaded it?

Zoz

C
Strange how ps4 games are OK and ps5 games are not. How was valhalla after you downloaded it?
Complete head scratcher. The re-downloaded Valhalla froze again. I played black flag for a solid afternoon afterwards. At least 5 hrs. Then loaded up astro's playroom and it froze within 5 minutes. The Valhalla incidentally didn't even get to the playing stage. It crashed in the menu.
I have no doubt if I downloaded the PS4 version that would work. I'm going to do it for piece of mind, and also use a physical disc of a ps5 game. Fenyx. That's exhausted everything then. The PlayStation web site says in safe mode try and rebuild the database. I will when I've done those two things I have just mentioned. It's very strange though. I can't get my head round it, that's why I thought I'd air it out here...?

Wing80surfer

Since PS4 games are working fine & you've stated that you have an external HDD, I assume the PS4 games are installed on/ played from that as opposed to the internal SSD? Sounds to me like your internal drive is faulty, which could explain why PS4 games play fine but not PS5 games. I'd get hold of sony customer support.

Edit: PS4 games stored internally don't take full advantage of the SSD capability, if you're playing PS4 games from the internal drive a faulty could also explain why they work but PS5 games don't.

legacy20

Novice Member
I've also had problems with only PS5 games. I've unstalled, reinstalled, factory reset, and redownloaded software update. The games I'm having problems with is NBA2k22 and Ps5 Version of Fortnite. I called Psn customer support and sending my console in for a service once I receive the box, should probably get it back within 30 days. I've had multiple people tell me they have had the same issue with only ps5 games. They will freeze mid game and crash or that their system will completely turn off. Then when turned back on give the error of the system being turned off improperly. Hopefully I get good luck after my system is serviced.

Zoz

I've also had problems with only PS5 games. I've unstalled, reinstalled, factory reset, and redownloaded software update. The games I'm having problems with is NBA2k22 and Ps5 Version of Fortnite. I called Psn customer support and sending my console in for a service once I receive the box, should probably get it back within 30 days. I've had multiple people tell me they have had the same issue with only ps5 games. They will freeze mid game and crash or that their system will completely turn off. Then when turned back on give the error of the system being turned off improperly. Hopefully I get good luck after my system is serviced.
They didn't send me a box!! They sent me an email telling me how they expected me to package it back up, and the label for postage. All of my ps5 titles froze. It wasn't any specific game. All ps5 titles froze then crashed but PS4 titles worked fine. I was told they expected to get my console sorted within 2 weeks. It's almost been that now ......

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Anthem AVM 70 Review, EQing Your Home Cinema Sound System and More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom