PS5 Games Not Working

Pechacheli75

Novice Member
Hi All. I wonder if anyone can help me And a very frustrated 11yr old! My son has been trying to play his usual games on his PS5 however he can’t use the X button when prompted. The X button works fine outside of any game but once the game loads and the start screen appears asking you to press X, nothing works! We have tried everything; resetting the cache, PS5, controller but nothing seems to work. Any advice would be very welcome. Thanks.

Dave6479

Standard Member
hi, that's a strange one. What's some of the games out of interest and are they PS5/4 from internal SSD or PS4 from External SSD. Have you tried deleting and re-installing any of the games? There is the PS5 safe mode where you will get options with one being to rebuild the database but I'd do that once other options have been tried.

Pechacheli75

Novice Member
hi, that's a strange one. What's some of the games out of interest and are they PS5/4 from internal SSD or PS4 from External SSD. Have you tried deleting and re-installing any of the games? There is the PS5 safe mode where you will get options with one being to rebuild the database but I'd do that once other options have been tried.
HI There. Many thanks for your response. The games are; Fortnite, Apex Legends and Spiderman, all PS5 and internal SSD. Spiderman was already deleted and we reinstalled it to see if it made any difference, but alas not.

Dave6479

Standard Member
The fact that it works outside the game is strange, though I did have a similar experience not to long ago but it was the Bluetooth keyboard and mouse I had connected and when I started the game "hell let loose" nothing on the games start screen worked, nothing would move. Have a look at the safe mode and try rebuilding the database, do you know how to get to it? If not a search on Youtube will show it better than me. Let us know how it goes

Dave6479

Standard Member
You shouldn't "but" you can backup any save files to the cloud or a USB. I'm positive a database rebuild is carried out after a new system software is installed anyway and nothing gets lost. If everything has been reset to default, controller is up to date, games uninstalled then installed I would try the rebuild now and see how that goes.

Sorry bud but I've had very little problems in 8 months with these and this is the best advice I can give.

Dave6479

Standard Member
before you do it, on your controller how many white lights are there (just below the touch pad) one or two?

Pechacheli75

Novice Member
No worries at all and thanks again for all your help. I attempted safe mode however when it came to push the PS button it didn’t work! So I started as normal and disconnected the controller. Tried again but nothing. Restarted the PS5 and tried a game and faced the same issue as before. However this time when I disconnected and reconnected the controller it worked!!! Tried all games with the same process and they work. Not sure why I need to disconnect and reconnect every time but at least it’s working! I will attempt to reset the database as clearly something isn’t right! Thanks again for all your help, much appreciate.

Dave6479

Standard Member
Hey no problem, at least your onto something now. I thought maybe the controller was assigned as the number two, would maybe explain why the x didn't work once the game started, anyway at least you have a work around for the time being. Give us an update if you try anything else in case anyone else comes across this. All the best

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom