PS5 DTS Neural:X

Lukeee24

Novice Member
Hi just wondering if anyone has used their PS5 (playing games NOT bluray) and had it output audio to the height channels in an Atmos system?

As we all know the PS5 doesn't support Atmos in games and instead relies on Sony's own tempest 3d audio engine. This has potential but is sadly only implemented to headphones at the minute. Hopefully once Sony begin working on AVR implementation we will get native height channel support however until then I am looking at what is the best solution.

So as I am in the market for a receiver I am just curios for those who do have an atmos setup. Have you been using DTS Neural:X upmixing? If so how does it sound? Is it worth doing or would we be better served sticking to 7.1 until (hopefully) height channel support is implemented through tempest?

ThunderGatti

Novice Member
Hi, I can definitely try it and let you know. I just got everything setup last night for my audio:
Denon x6700h + Elac Debut 2 speakers in a 7.2.4 configuration.

I've only had time to briefly try the XSX and came across your post while researching what everyone else might be doing for the PS5. For movies I have to say that I like Auro 3D better than Atmos or any of the other options. I haven't spent a lot of time with it though...just the D-day scene from Saving Private Ryan and a few scenes from latest Blade Runner (UHD discs from a Sony blu-ray player).

For gaming what I've heard is as just straight mulit-channel would work best assuming you've chosen the correct options in each console's settings. I tried Forza for about 5mins on the XSX on Auro 3D and I thought it was still really good. I know a lot more about TV's than audio so I'm trying to find the most popular sound modes people are using to compare Auro 3D to in games.

Also I currently have both the XSX and PS5 connected to an LG B7 oled, then out via the eARC hdmi port to the Denon. BUT... I have a new 77" G1 being installed at the end of the month (CAN'T WAIT! lol). I'm also waiting on the proper HDMI 2.1 cables I ordered to show up, but they should be here any day now.

Lukeee24

Novice Member
Hi, I can definitely try it and let you know. I just got everything setup last night for my audio:
Denon x6700h + Elac Debut 2 speakers in a 7.2.4 configuration.

I've only had time to briefly try the XSX and came across your post while researching what everyone else might be doing for the PS5. For movies I have to say that I like Auro 3D better than Atmos or any of the other options. I haven't spent a lot of time with it though...just the D-day scene from Saving Private Ryan and a few scenes from latest Blade Runner (UHD discs from a Sony blu-ray player).

For gaming what I've heard is as just straight mulit-channel would work best assuming you've chosen the correct options in each console's settings. I tried Forza for about 5mins on the XSX on Auro 3D and I thought it was still really good. I know a lot more about TV's than audio so I'm trying to find the most popular sound modes people are using to compare Auro 3D to in games.

Also I currently have both the XSX and PS5 connected to an LG B7 oled, then out via the eARC hdmi port to the Denon. BUT... I have a new 77" G1 being installed at the end of the month (CAN'T WAIT! lol). I'm also waiting on the proper HDMI 2.1 cables I ordered to show up, but they should be here any day now.

Hey thanks for replying, just to let you know I have upgraded my amp and now have a 5.2.2 setup.

Currently the best option I have found for the PS5 and games is to set up the sound correctly on the PS5 menu - so for me it is just 5.1 linear PCM and set speaker positions. Then on the reciever I have tested both multichannel + dolby surround and multichannel + neural:X as well as plain old multichannel.

Both upmixers sound identical to me tested on Horizon Zero Dawn. Multichannel and multichannel + one of the upmixers both sound the same (minus the atmos speakers being engaged when using the upmixer option) so you don't lose anything by choosing the multichannel + upmixer.

However the upmixed speakers aren't overly engaged just some background sound FX from what I have noticed. Hopefully when Sony develop games with 3d audio in mind and implement that for receivers then we will get a more exciting height channel experience. However for now the upmixer at least makes use of the atmos channels.

Let me know what your experience is!

ThunderGatti

Novice Member
Yes, I was just going to reply that PCM Linear was best. On your receiver, do you have Auro3D? I really like it. You seem to get more out of your Atmos height speakers. I think it could vary between people though, even if we both have Auro3D for example. Different AVR's have different DAC's, which is like the algorithm for decoding the sound into whatever format.

Before I had this 6700h AVR, I had a really crappy Sony "home-theater-in-a-box" that was like a decade old. Was great for a cheap DTS 5.1 solution and probably still better than a sound bar, barely. The output from any of the sound modes was just so weak that multi-channel direct was the best. I've read a lot people recommending multi-channel online, but I think it's the same type of situation, where it varies by their system and its DAC.

Btw, I'm not an audiophile and just learning about the current home theater stuff. So I just used the Audessey program my AVR came with to configure speaker locations, size, etc. Most of the hardcore guys will tweak things themselves but I'm pretty happy with mine as is. You can probably adjust certain speakers to get more out of them if you have a weak spot.

Lukeee24

Novice Member
I dont have Auro3D.

Yeah multichannel is normally my preferred as it takes the sound format as is but still applies your custom settings if you have any (EQ etc) normally. Direct would be the same only not applying any after FX so you are getting the audio exaxtly as is. Whilst this sounded good in theory to me I found it lacking subwoofer and also not sounding as full as multichannel.

Yes I also used Audyssey. I read that you are best to leave the speaker distances as the receiver set them but can adjust other things to taste. I haven't messed much as I am trying to only do what is needed. I boosted my height speakers by a couple of DB and have also been messing with the sub settings a little as I have found my subwoofer(s) bottoming out a few times. Though I do blame Horizon Zero Dawn for this a bit as, I don't know if you have played it? But the game has always had a ridiculously loud low end in my experience. My old receiver I was happy with the sub levels on everything but HZD would still make the sub play excessively when battling with machines.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom