PS5 - Disc or Digital Version - What Are You Getting?

Which Version of the Launch PS5 Are You Getting?

• PS5 With A Disc Drive

Votes: 145 75.9%
  • PS5 Without a Disc Drive (Digital Version)

Votes: 46 24.1%

• Total voters

Cha1ky

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Seems to be a lot of debate about which version of the console people are going to go for (those that are getting it).

So which one are you getting?

Personally I'm torn as I dont own a 4K Blu Ray Player but I can't even remember the last time I watched a disc based movie!

Games wise, I'm 100% Digital currently on PS4 and will be the same on the Great White :)

So think i'm just going to go for the Digital version.

My post from the other thread:

I'm actually pretty much digital these days for everything, but I have my small 4K disc collection that I'd like to watch and with that I sold my standalone player so to consolidate space and have the all in one package so will 100% be the drive version for me.

With a disk drive, definitely. I will almost certainly still buy physical games when that's the most efficient way to buy, I will want to play some of my physical PS4 games too, and I don't have a UHS BluRay in my living room so that's a bonus.

to me it wasn't even a debate...physical all the way. i thought there might be differences to the size of the HDD which i'm more interested in. and although i will be getting the two tone, im wondering will they do an all black box version.t

the only thing i want to do now is order with amazon and put a proper pre order in (not register interest. maybe we should start a ps5 deals thread for reference. i'm assuming the next event concentrating on the console wont be too far off

Digital all the way. I cant remember the last time I bought a disc, maybe GOW and before that I have no idea. The games are usually cheaper online and some of the deals are fantastic.

Plus, the Digital only version will probably be cheaper as there will be less parts in it.

Physical for me, play older discs, purchase / sell new ones and depending on how good the player is, may sell my UHD player (but I doubt it’s anywhere near as good as a Panasonic player).
If I lived in an area with decent fibre I may reconsider, and/or if Psn prices came inline with physical pricing, but that’s maybe some years away for me.

Last edited:
If I lived in an area with decent fibre I may reconsider,
THis is certainly one of the reason why Disk Drive size doesn't bother me that much because I have fibre and downloading games is not something that takes too long. If I didnt have Fibre I'd almost certainly want a larger hard drive.

The price of digital games and the inability to sell a game after you finish it means I would get the physical drive version.

Disc Drive version 100% for me - don't want to forgo watching films and playing 'some' PS4 titles I will still have then. Plus I expect my future purchases to be a combination of digital and disc depending on the title.

Initially I thought digital but having thought about it some more, and in light of me buying a new TV in the coming months specifically for the PS5, I think the disc version must be considered.

I have fibre as well so I should just want to get the digital version but I has me discs so getting the all in one solution is my chosen path.

Tbh, if they'd have put a UHD player in the PS4 Pro, I might not have bothered getting a PS5, but it didn't and here we are.

Think I'll probably go with the disk version. I'm mostly digital these days, but I still do like popping into CeX or the classified on here and looking for a bargain.

Disc version for me, though I like the sleeker look of the digital version (looks are clearly not enough of a reason to buy the digital version)

Digital for me, unless the disc drive version gets lower than £500, then I might rethink :)

... Actually things could also change if there’s a disc drive free series x too. Then I might get that, and ps5 with disc drive!

Only three things are certain- I only need one disc drive, budget isn’t limitless, and the ps5 media remote looks nice!

Disc Drive version for me, I like to be able to sell a game once I have finished it and put that money towards a future title, the thought of paying full price for a digital version which will never be touched again just seems stupid but that is just my opinion.

The price of digital games and the inability to sell a game after you finish it means I would get the physical drive version.

THIS

I find digital games completely overpriced when compared to the physical market after initial release. The additional cost will eventually outweigh initial savings.

Digital when I get round to getting one. I'm no Disk Peasant that hates the earth and wants to see the oceans full of plastic.

Shame on you Physical Buyers who can't let go of the past...

Digital when I get round to getting one. I'm no Disk Peasant that hates the earth and wants to see the oceans full of plastic.

Shame on you Physical Buyers who can't let go of the past...

I dont go chucking any of my games in the ocean.

I will get the disc version it will probably cost £50 more than the digital version but i dont think £50 for a 4k UHD blu ray player is bad. and that £50 will then give me the option to resell my games when im done with them so I will make that money back in no time

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom