PS5 - Disc or Digital Version - What Are You Getting?

Which Version of the Launch PS5 Are You Getting?

• PS5 With A Disc Drive

Votes: 145 75.9%
  • PS5 Without a Disc Drive (Digital Version)

Votes: 46 24.1%

• Total voters
Digital when I get round to getting one. I'm no Disk Peasant that hates the earth and wants to see the oceans full of plastic.

Shame on you Physical Buyers who can't let go of the past...
Sony nor Microsoft are in the business of saving the planet, if they cared they could offer Digital games cheaper than the psychical counterpart as an incentive. In almost all situations the physical discs are cheaper.

It’s interesting to see some think the digital movement as an pro environmentalist stand when in fact Sony/Microsoft actually make more money through this route hence why they are not able to comprise on the price.

Digital has to be greener- less manufacturing and materials, less transportation and packaging, less wholesale/retail premises.

It will be interesting to see what happens with digital pricing in future- we already see greater discounting than we once did.. And subscription methods of purchase- a way of replacing the ‘bulk purchase’ that retailers would give to the publishers.

I saw in one thread a member question if the difference is ONLY with drive or without, this confirms that is the case:

PSB: We’ve learned that there are two PlayStation 5 systems. What can you tell me about the logic and the strategy there?

Eric:
The idea here is, there’s a second [PS5] that represents the growth of the digital business over the years…. And a lot of consumers have shifted the way they interact with our products. Part of my job, and my team’s, is to talk to consumers all the time, understand what they like and what they want. And there’s a segment of consumers that just want to go digital.

So this is the answer to that need. It’s a discless version [of PS5]. It’s important to note that, it’s essentially the same product. You’re not talking about any change to features, or any change to power. It’s the same product, with slight cosmetic differences, and no disc drive. So it’s all digital.

That was confirmed to be the case just after the conference. Granted it was posted but the threads are on fire so can easily be missed.

I mentioned it elsewhere. I think there will be a £70 price difference between the 2 models. £20 to cover the cost of the drive and the rest is recouped 10 fold over the generation by people buying digital.

I keep see-sawing between the two. New sonic film on uhd disc, £24.99 for something you’ll probably watch once. I don’t have a fancy av system and no ps4 games on disc im itching to play twice so atm I’m 80% towards digi Ed.

It’s also something else to create noise and go wrong.
85% lol

I keep see-sawing between the two. New sonic film on uhd disc, £24.99 for something you’ll probably watch once. I don’t have a fancy av system and no ps4 games on disc im itching to play twice so atm I’m 80% towards digi Ed.

surly that argument goes the other way in the film costs £25 and youll only watch it once you can then resell it if you got it on disc

surly that argument goes the other way in the film costs £25 and youll only watch it once you can then resell it if you got it on disc
Yeah, but it's hassle!

Yeah, but it's hassle!

Thats the argument discs are hassle getting up to change them, reselling them is hassle. digital is easy no disc changing but no resale value

me personally im tight so i choose the disc option and constantly resell to use the value of the previous purchase against the price of another game. I also never buy at launch buggy broken and top price I wait get it half price or less and get a patched version of the game

Thats the argument discs are hassle getting up to change them, reselling them is hassle. digital is easy no disc changing but no resale value

me personally im tight so i choose the disc option and constantly resell to use the value of the previous purchase against the price of another game. I also never buy at launch buggy broken and top price I wait get it half price or less and get a patched version of the game
Similar but I wait for digital sales too. Usually. I also don't have much time to play, so it might take months to get through a big game. By that time it's come down in price and the resale value is much lower though admittedly something is better than nothing. I'm also a bit eco and prefer the digital carbon footprint.

If you gameshare, you instantly halve the cost of digital games. If you buy credit from places like shopto or cdkeys you then knock more money off it.

So there is ways to make digital a lot cheaper. Perhaps not as fully cheap as the second hand market but I don't mind paying a little more for convenience.

I haven't got a clue what game share is!

I haven't got a clue what game share is!
Basically because you can play digital game on more than one account at a time. You and a family member / friend share each others accounts and any game bought can be played by both of you. So it halves the cost.

I'd like to see Sony / MS do something along the lines of that MA are doing with films. Would make sense once digital is even more popular.

Basically because you can play digital game on more than one account at a time. You and a family member / friend share each others accounts and any game bought can be played by both of you. So it halves the cost.
I don't understand that.
I buy all the games in our household and there's 3 ps accounts on the machine. I've not noticed the others not being able to play anything I've bought

And I'm not asking for money off my Mrs and step daughter! I really haven't understood this have I?

It'd be great if the digital Ed comes with psn credit or game codes too.

And I'm not asking for money off my Mrs and step daughter! I really haven't understood this have I?
Ok as an example.

I put my account on your console. Set it as my primary machine. You put your account on my console and i set my machine as your primary. I now have access to all your digital library and you mine. But we can also sign into our own accounts on our own machines to play them.

So i buy Final Fantasy for example. Cost me £60 digitally. Me and you both have that game to play now on the machines in our house.

Dont get me wrong there needs to be trust there and doing it with your missus etc you wouldnt ask for the money but with a friend you can split the cost or take turns in buying a game.

If you gameshare, you instantly halve the cost of digital games. If you buy credit from places like shopto or cdkeys you then knock more money off it.

So there is ways to make digital a lot cheaper. Perhaps not as fully cheap as the second hand market but I don't mind paying a little more for convenience.

Digital for me on Xbox is a lot cheaper than Physical due to Gamesharing, Rewards and Cheap Credit. Plus usual deals for Digital Games.

As I would only be buying 1st Party Exclusives on PS5 and again would be game sharing and using credit. Digital Only would be cheaper and easier.

Going forward with Subs like EA Access, PSNow and Gamespass Getting better then Digital Only console makes sense.
I only have 1 thing in my household that takes a disc and that's my One X. It has never been used.

Completely understand why people stay physical and I was the same last gen but I rushed so many games to trade them in or sell them and ended up buying them again when DLC was added or new features.

For me it's the best solution.

Still can't believe my jokes went over so many heads.

Yep. I game share with my son.

Albeit it’s something of a one-sided relationship 🤣

Only downside is that I can’t access my content with an alternate account on my console.

Ok as an example.

I put my account on your console. Set it as my primary machine. You put your account on my console and i set my machine as your primary. I now have access to all your digital library and you mine. But we can also sign into our own accounts on our own machines to play them.

So i buy Final Fantasy for example. Cost me £60 digitally. Me and you both have that game to play now on the machines in our house.

Dont get me wrong there needs to be trust there and doing it with your missus etc you wouldnt ask for the money but with a friend you can split the cost or take turns in buying a game.
Ahh, that's actually really good! Thanks for explaining.

I've drastically changed the way I game over the last couple of years so I'm very firmly in the digital camp now. I used to buy loads of games on release at high prices then end up losing out financially because I couldn't be bothered with the hassle of selling them or kept them in case I wanted to play them again in the future. Now though I'm more reliant on my PS Plus and PS Now subscriptions as well as being more sensible in what games I purchase outright.
I no longer have that sense of urgency in getting a game at launch, I'll happily wait a few months for a price drop or sale, and I have had a US account for a couple of years to take advantage of the deals over there. This week for example I've picked up Death Stranding digitally for £19 and Days Gone for £12 through the US store.

I have game sharing set up, but it's with my niece's at their house and I don't get any money back from them. It works really well though and has given the kids a much bigger selection of games to play than they would have had otherwise.

At the moment I'm still undecided on buying the console at launch, but whenever I do get one it'll be the digital only version.

If this was an option and it translated to £399.99 I would be VERY happy.

0E60DFB7-DD67-48FD-A9BE-D03EF156E60A.jpeg

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom