PS5 Crashing

Muck9

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Is anyone else having issues with the PS5 being unable to play disc based games?

Astrobot works fine along with Bugsnax. However, Spider-Man and Call of Duty, both on disc, cause my PS5 to crash and give me the report error screen and boots me back to the Home Screen.

Spider-Man crashes at the PlayStation logo screen right at the start (the square, circle, triangle, cross screen). Call of Duty gets into the menu and I click campaign then select a save slot then it crashes. All latest updates downloaded for the games and console. These are the only disc based PS5 games I have.

Is anyone else experiencing this and know how to fix?

Have you got an external HDD attached to it? There’s an issue at the moment with having PS4 games stored in the HDD connected to it dunno why though meant to be a fix coming out I had the same crash twice in Spider-Man Miles Morales too unplugged my external HDD and it’s been fine ever since

Have you got an external HDD attached to it? There’s an issue at the moment with having PS4 games stored in the HDD connected to it dunno why though meant to be a fix coming out I had the same crash twice in Spider-Man Miles Morales too unplugged my external HDD and it’s been fine ever since

Thanks but I’ve not got an external drive attached. I tried booting in safe mode to rebuild the database but still the same error.

Thanks but I’ve not got an external drive attached. I tried booting in safe mode to rebuild the database but still the same error.
Is your SSD full? Have you had it in rest mode at any point? Meant to be an issue with that too

Is your SSD full? Have you had it in rest mode at any point? Meant to be an issue with that too

My SSD isn’t full but I have regularly put it into rest mode... I’ll have to look into that but I’m not sure what I can do now considering it’s already been in rest mode, hopefully that doesn’t corrupt the games full stop from now

My SSD isn’t full but I have regularly put it into rest mode... I’ll have to look into that but I’m not sure what I can do now considering it’s already been in rest mode, hopefully that doesn’t corrupt the games full stop from now
Play it as normal and don’t put it in rest mode like I said there’s meant to be issues with it wait until Sony release another firmware update the hopefully it should be ok then

I read about the rest mode issues but have had it and use it in rest mode since getting it (Friday) and also have an external drive attached, with no issues.

Not what you want to hear i presume Muck9 but shows how random these issues are.

I have also been using rest mode to success. Although since hearing about some of the issues with it I’ve now refrained from using it until any further updates.

Hello my first comment i just wanna say that I've been having problems aswell I installed cod modernwarfare 2019 from disc when I fully installed it I had no time I left the remaining updates overnight on standby including the texture update when I played it the next day it worked fine once then when I switched game and game back to it says some text which I will try to attach in a image. It says the reinstall it as it wrong which is stupid as I played it just before also restarting or putting the disc in wont help. Any advice?

I'm also having issues with Modern Warfare - have played it a couple of times but last couple of days it states cannot play this version so re-install - cue 8 hours of downloads for the same issues to repeat.

Think it is a known bug but very frustrating - hopefully will be firmware upgrade unless anyone knows a way around it

I pressed options on the cod tile and downloaded the rest of the packs which where the coop ones after doing that it worked going to load it back up again tommrow to see if it wasn't a fluck.

Played it once more seems to have worked ill try again later on as I have busy schedule plus playing between series x and ps5.

I think there are the usual teething problems. Mine is mostly fine but did freeze and auto shutdown yesterday half an hour into a miles morales seasion after the latest update. It was fine after that though. It did a database rebuild and logged it with Sony as a software glitch.

How do you log with Sony?
I'm trying to download MW now that I have downloaded the PS5 latest firmware

Also having the issue with crashing
Tried assasins creed odessey (PS4) installed the data and it crashes at exactly the same point at the beginning of the game (after watching 6/7mins of unpausable cut scenes)
Can hear sound but the screen just freezes and had to restart, not sure if it's the game or the ps5 os.
Don't use rest mode

Last edited:
How do you log with Sony?
I'm trying to download MW now that I have downloaded the PS5 latest firmware
The ps5 logged the fault automatically for me. I'm not sure how to do it independently tbh

I think there are the usual teething problems. Mine is mostly fine but did freeze and auto shutdown yesterday half an hour into a miles morales seasion after the latest update. It was fine after that though. It did a database rebuild and logged it with Sony as a software glitch.

How do you log it with Sony if it happens , through the console?

Managed to download and play last night - tested rest mode and still worked - fingers crossed!
Will attempt to move to external hard drive today...

I would hold off on any hdd activity until its patched not worth the risk atm.

External storage for the PS5 was a breeze - have moved all my PS4 games and apps over and now have 600gb of free space, just need some PS5 games now!

I had 2 crashes both linked to the external hdd I presume, both on spiderman mm, first one was when I was downloading a game on the external while playing a game, and the second crash was same game but when I exited to dash to close the game, the whole console became unresponsive, couldn't use the controller to do anything even though the dash was fine, I've removed the external hdd now until a update is available to sort it out, no crashes since

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom