PS5 connecting a soundbar.

Prisonbmichael

Standard Member
Hi everyone. Can someone please help me. I am a noob when it comes to this stuff. I have a lgc9 4k tv and a sony ht zf9 soundbar. Do you connect the ps5 to the soundbar? Then connect the soundbar arc to to the tv arc. Also do I set hdmi to device type to soundbar on the audio output settings. What audio format should i have under audio format (priority) on the ps5? Is 3d audio automatically applied with these options. Any other things I need to set. Sorry for all the questions. I would really appreciate any help given. Thanks a lot.

next010

Distinguished Member
Hi everyone. Can someone please help me. I am a noob when it comes to this stuff. I have a lgc9 4k tv and a sony ht zf9 soundbar. Do you connect the ps5 to the soundbar? Then connect the soundbar arc to to the tv arc. Also do I set hdmi to device type to soundbar on the audio output settings. What audio format should i have under audio format (priority) on the ps5? Is 3d audio automatically applied with these options. Any other things I need to set. Sorry for all the questions. I would really appreciate any help given. Thanks a lot.

The 3D audio effect is currently limited to headphones and internal TV speakers.

The soundbar has its own audio processing features, make sure TV firmware is up to date.

Setting up with eARC.
  • Connect Sony ZF9 to the HDMI port 2 on the C9.
  • On C9 set eARC to enabled.
  • On C9 set HDMI audio input = bitstream
  • On C9 set Digital sound output = pass-through
  • On ZF9 setup->advanced settings->HDMI settings-> eARC = on.
  • On ZF9 setup->advanced settings->Audio settings-> sound effect = off
  • On PS5 set speakers as AVR/amplifier 5.1 and PCM as audio type

That will send uncompressed PCM 5.1 audio to the ZF9, the 'sound effect' setting can be toggled with two options
  • sound mode on = sony's own surround sound processing.
  • dolby virtualizer = dolby's own surround sound processing.

It's really a personal preference whether you like those at all, in addition there are profiles on the remote like standard/gaming etc that alter its output, the off setting disables all of that stuff and just normal unprocessed output.

The simplest thing to do is leave it on stereo PCM, that's what works best with this kind of soundbar if you ask me but that's a personal preference.

Copy above settings but change
  • On C9 set Digital sound output = PCM
  • On ZF9 setup->advanced settings->Audio settings-> advanced auto volume = on
  • On ZF9 setup->advanced settings->Audio settings-> sound effect = off
  • On PS5 set speakers as TV and PCM as audio type.

This will deliver stereo audio with consistent volume, something that can vary between games and be very annoying.

You can also try turning on the PS5 3D audio effect as far as the console is concerned its sending audio to the TV speakers which TV is then passing to the soundbar, but some have said the 3D audio via TV speakers is a love it or hate it thing much like the bars own internal audio processing.

Dolby/DTS 5.1 are compressed audio formats and prone to lag so PCM is preferable over those.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom