PS5 blu ray playback sound not in 5.1

micky99

Standard Member
Hey, as the the title says im having issues with surround sound playback on blu rays on the ps5. I have looked all over the internet people seem to have similar issues but their fix does not seem to work for me. So I have the PS5 connected to my LG43UH650V tv, then an ARC out to a Sony HT-RT3 5.1 system, The PS5 HDMI device type is set to AV amplifier the channels set to 5.1 audio format set to Dolby. This is where i have noticed the usual fix comes in going into the setting and changing the audio format to bitstream works for other people, if I change this from PCM i get no sound at all, i cannot work out what im doing wrong, PS5 games output in 5.1, i have a sky q box set up and it works fine, I had similar issues with the PS4 but was solved easily buy using an optical cable (no optical port on PS5). Any ideas or work around's would be welcome. My only other option would be to fork out for a 4k blu ray player with optical support.

MarcoDB

This video from HDTV Test might help, the presenter discusses settings for audio as well as turning off the video noise reduction. These options are accessed via a menu that is only active whilst you are playing a BluRay disk (press the options button), rather than in the main PS5 settings.

Last edited:

micky99

Standard Member
This video from HDTV Test might help, the presenter discusses settings for audio as well as turning off the video noise reduction. These options are accessed via a menu that is only active whilst you are playing a BluRay disk (press the options button), rather than in the main PS5 settings.

Hey, thanks for response, I've tried this and still no luck. Thanks for the suggestion though. I have purchased an hdmi to optical splitter, maybe this will solve the problem as I can bypass the tv

micky99

Standard Member
So the splitter didn't work, the issue only seems to occur when playing a disc with a DTS soundtrack. From what I can gather I need to convert DTS to dolby, but I can't seem to find any way of doing this

Greyman43

AFAIK the PS5 doesn’t downmix DTS to Dolby through bitstream (unlike Xbox) so you’d have to use LPCM. It may be a limitation of passing through multi channel LPCM via HDMI ARC, I think this is only possible through eARC which is why your TV is downmixing the DTS to stereo PCM.

micky99

Standard Member
AFAIK the PS5 doesn’t downmix DTS to Dolby through bitstream (unlike Xbox) so you’d have to use LPCM. It may be a limitation of passing through multi channel LPCM via HDMI ARC, I think this is only possible through eARC which is why your TV is downmixing the DTS to stereo PCM.
Thanks for the advice, the ps3 and 4 were capable of converting DTS to dolby, its very annoying lol. Unfortunately my doesn't support eARC, so I guess I'm stuck

Greyman43

Thanks for the advice, the ps3 and 4 were capable of converting DTS to dolby, its very annoying lol. Unfortunately my doesn't support eARC, so I guess I'm stuck
Yeah it seems a weird omission! Worth having a play with your TV’s audio output settings as well if you haven’t tried that already. You never know, there may be some sort of multi channel bypass setting that would allow the LPCM from your PS5 to reach the sound bar!

micky99

Standard Member
Yeah it seems a weird omission! Worth having a play with your TV’s audio output settings as well if you haven’t tried that already. You never know, there may be some sort of multi channel bypass setting that would allow the LPCM from your PS5 to reach the sound bar!
I think I have gone through everything setting possible lol, and still no joy. Hopefully sony will do an update to add the option of bitstream mix which solved the issue on ps4

The latest video from AVForums

65-inch LG C1 Review coming soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom