PS5 Beta software

Soundmangt4

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I applied to be part of the beta program and got an email saying I have been selected to take part and sent a code to download the beta software. Has anyone else signed up and tried the new software yet? I won't be expanding the internal storage any time soon, but was wondering if the 3D audio for speakers is any good, and will it improve things over my 5.1 setup?

Yes, I signed up but it was actually a few weeks ago before I knew about the internal SSD expansion being unlocked. I've still gone ahead and ordered a 2 TB WD SN850 SSD with heatsink for delivery tomorrow before the scalpers drive the prices up. Just hope I get a chance to test it early as I am finding the lack of storage for PS5 games to be a major frustration to the point where I am having to be very selective about what games I do and don't buy. Something I never had to do on any other PlayStation console.

I applied to be part of the beta program and got an email saying I have been selected to take part and sent a code to download the beta software. Has anyone else signed up and tried the new software yet? I won't be expanding the internal storage any time soon, but was wondering if the 3D audio for speakers is any good, and will it improve things over my 5.1 setup?

When did you get the email invite? And what does the email look like? Did you get a notification on your PS5?

Thanks.

Got the email invite yesterday and have installed a 1TB 850 Pro with heat sink today. All works well.

3D audio isn’t something I’ve looked at yet as I run a separates system so no benefit outside of stereo TV speakers, I hear good things in Reddit about it.

Thanks for the reply.

So jealous right now. I've signed up for the beta over a dozen times in the last month but I've not heard anything. :(

Thanks for the reply.

So jealous right now. I've signed up the beta over a dozen times in the last month but I've not heard anything. :(
Honestly you’re not missing much at all. Most are guessing a couple of weeks until general release.

I wanted a code too,im interested mostly in 3d audio on TV.....i didn't got selected tho as it seems.If anyone has a code they wont use let me know i would like to try 3D audio.

Last edited:
With the addition of 3D audio to TV speakers, how likely is it that this will be passed through to BT headphones that are paired with the TV?

If anyone has a spare code that they're in no rush to use I'd very much welcome and appreciate it being thrown my way so I can install my SSD :thumbsup:

With the addition of 3D audio to TV speakers, how likely is it that this will be passed through to BT headphones that are paired with the TV?
They do not work by connecting them directly to your PS5?

No, can’t pair BT headphones with the PS5… or PS4 for that matter
Why not just wire the headphones to your controller for the 3D Audio?

Yeah, I got TB stealth 700s. I have used these at times but the connection is crap

Yeah, I got TB stealth 700s. I have used these at times but the connection is crap
Connection is crap? As in between the headset and it's usb transmitter? Doesn't sound right. How far away are you from the usb transmitter with the headset on your head lol?

Connection is crap? As in between the headset and it's usb transmitter? Doesn't sound right. How far away are you from the usb transmitter with the headset on your head lol?
Yep between headset & dongle/transmitter. The distance I am sat away from it has got to be no more than 6ft. Sometimes the sound starts off okay & can play for hours. Other times it just starts 'breaking up' after a while until it becomes just noise & sometimes it's just noise from the outset. I've given up on using them like that now & the only use they have is for when Mrs & I want to watch films without disturbing anyone else in the household (I've got a BT transmitter for the TV which will broadcast to two different headsets at the same time)

Yep between headset & dongle/transmitter. The distance I am sat away from it has got to be no more than 6ft. Sometimes the sound starts off okay & can play for hours. Other times it just starts 'breaking up' after a while until it becomes just noise & sometimes it's just noise from the outset. I've given up on using them like that now & the only use they have is for when Mrs & I want to watch films without disturbing anyone else in the household (I've got a BT transmitter for the TV which will broadcast to two different headsets at the same time)
Can you connect the TB headset to the ps5 controller with a wire?

Maybe, not sure. I'll have to have a look. I would prefer not to though, I've been spoiled by wireless :laugh:

Maybe, not sure. I'll have to have a look. I would prefer not to though, I've been spoiled by wireless :laugh:
I know but if the wireless on the TB is being iffy, wiring it into the controller will allow you to still get virtual 3D audio in the headset. Much better than TV speaker sound or TV sound BT to your airpods lol 👌🏻

I know what you're saying and you are right but if the 3D audio is passed to headphones via the TV BT then that's an immediate win. Didn't have chance to try it last night but will have a play tonight.

I know what you're saying and you are right but if the 3D audio is passed to headphones via the TV BT then that's an immediate win. Didn't have chance to try it last night but will have a play tonight.
I doubt it will but of course it is worth a try. Also you will may get lipsync delay using BT direct to the TV for audio. Worth a go!

I doubt it will but of course it is worth a try. Also you will may get lipsync delay using BT direct to the TV for audio. Worth a go!
Completely forgot to give you an update.... Found a 3.5mm - 3.5mm cable for the TBs. You were right, the sound quality is ace! I still regret not being able to use my airpods though, I just prefer using them much more than the TB headphones which tend to cause sweat after a while. I think the airpods are so comfy to use too. Oh well, can't have it all :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom