PS5 Backward Compatability

That is exactly what I am hoping will be the case. Re-download a game from the PS Store; import the save from PS Cloud and off you go; hopefully taking advantage of any optimisation on the PS5. It should be straightforwrd and it's pretty much what happens in the PC environment - I have a library of games on Steam and most, certainly most popular games released in the last few years, will just re-download if I get a new PC (not that I PC game much these days as PS is so much easier for the limited time that I have).

I would expect all ps4 games just to work the biggest thing could be space for them will ps4 games play off an external usb harddrive. even though ps5 games most likely wont.

So there are some reports out there that there is BC with PS2 and PS3 games as well. Speculation is that PS1 isn’t supported only because optical drive doesn’t support CDs.

I would be very surprised if they did work but I guess we’ll find out soon enough

So there are some reports out there that there is BC with PS2 and PS3 games as well. Speculation is that PS1 isn’t supported only because optical drive doesn’t support CDs.

Where has this been heard/posted about?

I haven't seen anything about BC with PS2/PS3 games though it would be really nice if true.
I'd like to retire both my PS3 and PS4 consoles that are currently in my cabinet once I have the PS5, and though I don't think I'd be playing PS3 games very often it'd be nice to have the option to fire up some classic Guitar Hero if I fancy it.

Where has this been heard/posted about?

I haven't seen anything about BC with PS2/PS3 games though it would be really nice if true.
I'd like to retire both my PS3 and PS4 consoles that are currently in my cabinet once I have the PS5, and though I don't think I'd be playing PS3 games very often it'd be nice to have the option to fire up some classic Guitar Hero if I fancy it.

I did see speculation that the PS5 will offer full backwards support, purely because the new PS5 game demo of the new Astrobots shown features parts of the previous consoles like a controller or CD.. I kid you not.

The only console I know off that Sony have confirmed is still PS4 games, and others through the PS Now service. I have no doubt the PS5 could easily run emulators for PS1 and PS2 games, but weather Sony build that in or not is entirely something else and they haven’t given any indications they will yet.

I did see speculation that the PS5 will offer full backwards support, purely because the new PS5 game demo of the new Astrobots shown features parts of the previous consoles like a controller or CD.. I kid you not.

The only console I know off that Sony have confirmed is still PS4 games, and others through the PS Now service. I have no doubt the PS5 could easily run emulators for PS1 and PS2 games, but weather Sony build that in or not is entirely something else and they haven’t given any indications they will yet.

I saw people reading that in to Astrobots. I just took it as an Easter egg like the Vita in TLOU2.

You are right, PS4 is the only confirmed backwards compatibility. Any suggestion to the existence or absence of any other BC is just speculation.

IMO, no way will bc surpass PS4 because of digital only PS5... it would force folk to the disc version, which I’m sure is outside the sales remit.

Also wondering would it also be possible to bring along an external harddrive from the ps4 to the ps5 in addition to cloud? Got loads saved on an external drive currently attached to my ps4.

Also wondering would it also be possible to bring along an external harddrive from the ps4 to the ps5 in addition to cloud? Got loads saved on an external drive currently attached to my ps4.

Yes this is confirmed.

PS4 games can be played on PS5 from an external HDD.

Its confirm you can unplug your external drive from a PS4 and it will work in the PS5 - like the games installed and saves on it will still present ? not that the hardware will function after a format ?

Its confirm you can unplug your external drive from a PS4 and it will work in the PS5 - like the games installed and saves on it will still present ? not that the hardware will function after a format ?

Sony hasn't said anything other than external drives work so it's all just a guess, but you can take an external drive from one PS4 to another PS4 without formatting as long as your signed into your account and online with the PS4 your swapping to, So I see no reason why you couldn't take it from PS4 to a PS5 in the same way but we won't know for sure until Sony says or it's tested once PS5 is out.

Oh and to point something out, you can't store saves on an external drive only games, apps and addons, any saves would have to be downloaded from PS+ cloud storage or from USB.

I know people don’t believe me but I do think full BC is coming some way or another.

what I can’t figure out from above is whether they are planning to continue it via PS Now or emulators built into the OS.

I would be happy to re-buy the odd game but I feel building BC into PS Now with the ability to download without streaming is where people would go crazy for it.

The patent above follows the same approach as Xbox for BC. It’s not a PS Now play.

Would be so nice if true.

I can't help but think though that surely if they did have BC with PS1/PS2/PS3 on PS5 as well that Sony would've mentioned it in some way by now?
It's not exactly a true 'selling point' but still a pretty big deal and significant feature to many.

Would be so nice if true.

I can't help but think though that surely if they did have BC with PS1/PS2/PS3 on PS5 as well that Sony would've mentioned it in some way by now?
It's not exactly a true 'selling point' but still a pretty big deal and significant feature to many.

Tbh they have barely talked about PS5 features at all so I don't find it particularly surprising that they haven't talked about this.

Take the create button on the DualSense that they talked about ages ago. They haven't even given us the slightest hint of what functionality underpins that. They haven't talked about game suspend/resume. They haven't talked about new social features. We haven't seen the UI.

The patent above follows the same approach as Xbox for BC. It’s not a PS Now play.

If they announce Full BC across the previous 4 generations, then it will kinda trounce all the work Microsoft have built regarding them being all about BC

To quote a wise man on another forum - "It's not BC until I can play games I already own without buying them again..." I agree with this, being able to run an old game is good but its only half of BC,
Spinning up an emulated PS1 is all good and well but it if I need to buy the game again to do it then thats not the same thing. So how do you play a CD game in a PS5 ? wont read that and how do you play any disc in the digital version ? no BC possible other than digital purchases which rules out PS1/2.

I hope they can do something in this area but I am really not intrested in renting/rebuying any previous gen games personally when I already paid to own the licence once already.

Last edited:
To quote a wise man on another forum - "It's not BC until I can play games I already own without buying them again..." I agree with this, being able to run an old game is good but its only half of BC,
Spinning up an emulated PS1 is all good and well but it if I need to buy the game again to do it then thats not the same thing. So how do you play a CD game in a PS5 ? wont read that and how do you play any disc in the digital version ? no BC possible other than digital purchases which rules out PS1/2.

I hope they can do something in this area but I am really not intrested in renting/rebuying any previous gen games personally when I already paid to own the licence once already.

Whilst the laser won't read the CD it can read the header, which is enough to validate the existence of the disk which then allows you to play a digital version on a virtual machine. Or something like that. Which is kinda how Xbox BC works.

I wonder if we'll see BC in digital games and a huge free library of old stuff becoming available? Wouldn't particularly interest me but just putting the thought out there.

I wonder if we'll see BC in digital games and a huge free library of old stuff becoming available? Wouldn't particularly interest me but just putting the thought out there.
BC is ripe for padding out subs services..

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom