PS5 Backward Compatability

zt1903

Distinguished Member
Sony Patents Possible PS5 Backward Compatibility Method Invented by Mark Cerny

Sony Patents Possible PS5 Backward Compatibility Method Invented by Mark Cerny

The house of PlayStation, Sony Interactive Entertainment, registered a patent with the Japan Patent Office which seems to have “PS5” written all over it.

The patent describes a method that allows a device to check whether an application is a legacy application (IE: designed for an older device) or not.

If it isn’t, it returns its own correct CPU ID, if it is indeed a legacy application, it returns a spoofed CPU ID basically allowing the processor to impersonate the one used in the older device for backward compatibility purposes.

While there is no way to be sure that this will be used on the PS5, how whatever Sony’s next-generation console will be called, the inventor of this method is Mark Cerny, who is well known as the lead architect behind the PS4.

Of course, we don’t have a confirmation that Cerny is currently working on PS5 either, but it at least stands to reason to believe that this is possible.

As usual, this kind of information should be taken with a grain of salt, because patents don’t always result in actual products, but the timing of this filing certainly doesn’t appear completely random.

One thing is for sure: it would be pretty strange for the PS5 not to feature backward compatibility, as it would basically reset the success achieved with the PS4 going into the next generation, which would be a quite questionable move.

Toasty

Distinguished Member
Knack 2 PS5 launch title confirmed :smashin:

Edit: Apparently we can't delete posts anymore so I'll double up on a crap joke..

Jimster71

Distinguished Member
One of the Digital Foundry writers posted on twitter that he believes PS5 will have backward compatibility. I don't know if he has any insider info or if it is just speculation.

MS have made a big deal about backwards compatibility on Xbox, so you would think Sony might want to reduce that competitive advantage. PS5 is likely to have a similar architecture to PS4, so that would make it easier.

I hope they make it backwards compatible for peripherals, like the VR headset.

zt1903

Distinguished Member
Look at the other thread I posted about PSN Revenue. If they don’t make PS5 backward compatible they are insane.

People are heavily invested in digital content, so they need to support it to keep people locked in as well as the revenue opportunities created by the bigger catalogue.

shoestring25

Distinguished Member
i would expect ps4 backwards compatibility for ps5 what will be interesting is if they go further back ps3 ps2 or ps1

mark1080p

IMO, i would say that in reality, it will be a half way house.

I think the backwards compatibility will be for digital content purchases only, going back to everything we’ve all bought on PS4 and PS3 under your account name.

That would be the tidiest solution anyway. If it can play old discs then that would be really cool, but then again... Not sure I really want to start rummaging my loft for my 25 year old classics, like Dino Crisis and Wipeout.

Darth_terra

Distinguished Member
With the Interview Mark Cerny gave confriming he is indeed the designer of the PS5 I guess this Patent could indeed be for PS5, although at this stage he has only confirmed PS4 games being BC, but i can see them saving the rest for a bigger announcement, so good news. :thumbsup:

zt1903

Distinguished Member
With the specs indicated I think they should be meaty enough to deal with the problem of PS3 emulation. Honestly don’t think PS1-3 BC is the biggest selling point but would be nice to have.

Toasty

Distinguished Member
I just want all games of this era to be compatible with the PS ecosystem long term, this is the first step in that direction :smashin:

silvercue

Distinguished Member
Interesting to see if the PS4 games get performance boost from the improved hardware.

Darth_terra

Distinguished Member
They Used Spiderman as a demo to show the Speed that the SSD does to a game I don't think they did any thing special other than load Spiderman in it so I imagine the same for any other PS4 game.

MarkusThatch

Distinguished Member
Re. backwards compatability - would that include bringing across all the digital content downloaded by ps4 / psn owners? I'd be really reluctant to jump ship to ps5 and lose all the games I've downloaded over the years. Reluctant but I dare say I'd still jump at some point :facepalm:

mark1080p

Just a pipe dream request for me.... but would love it if the PS4 controllers would work on the PS5.

My son wanted a 2nd controller for his birthday. Which set me back £45, which will be short lived, if he then asks for PS5 next year.

Jimster71

Distinguished Member
Just a pipe dream request for me.... but would love it if the PS4 controllers would work on the PS5.

My son wanted a 2nd controller for his birthday. Which set me back £45, which will be short lived, if he then asks for PS5 next year.

They might work, but there will be new controllers for PS5. They are rumoured to have a touch screen, instead of the current (under used) touch pad.

shoestring25

Distinguished Member
The reason i think dualshock 4s might also work with ps5 is because of backwards compatibility of ps4 games.

mark1080p

They might work, but there will be new controllers for PS5. They are rumoured to have a touch screen, instead of the current (under used) touch pad.
My thoughts too. Make them compatible but make ps5 controller cooler so we end up upgrading them

AnthonyG

Distinguished Member
That method of Backwards compatibility does not sound too good to me. As this will mean the games will perform identically to how they do on the PS4.

The Xbox One method of backwards compatibility has the games performing much better on the higher spec. Some of the games look amazing and even games for the original Xbox (i.e Ninja Gaiden Black) look great on the Xbox One via its method.

shoestring25

Distinguished Member
with the 360 backward compatibility games they have have a massive team of people working on each game to get it running correctly. also the downside to this way is Microsoft incurs all the costs for doing this and they have to ask publishers approval as they are modifying the game hence why not every 360 game is backwards compatible

if they dont change the game theres no reason every ps4 game cannot be backwards compatible and we dont know how xbox one games will run on the new xbox 2 they might run exactly the same as they do on the xbox one

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips TV Launch Event, Soundbar vs AVR, Samsung EzCAL and more...

Latest News

What's new on Disney+ UK for February 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Philips debuts fifth generation P5 Picture Processing Suite
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 27th January 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Philips introduces new 9206 and 8506 LED Android TVs for 2021
  • By Andy Bassett