PS5 audio issue - too quiet

Pumptruffle

Hi,

I got my PS5 yesterday, and I’m having trouble with the audio. It’s just going through the tv speakers on an LG C9, but the audio is very quiet, I’ve been playing Ratchet and Clank and had to turn the volume up to 95-100, but even then it’s not particularly loud.

The console output is set to Linear PCM as standard, the same as my PS4, which is absolutely fine. I’ve tried Dolby which makes it much louder, but obviously this isn’t great as it’s designed for surround systems.

I’ve searched and searched and can’t find anybody else with the same issue!

Toasty

Distinguished Member
Just a sanity check, is the hdmi cable fully inserted into the PS5 and TV? Was a bit more clunky than I expected first try and I had to be firm plugging the cables in. I'm using an older LG TV, but there's no issue with audio once it was all sorted.

Pumptruffle

Just a sanity check, is the hdmi cable fully inserted into the PS5 and TV? Was a bit more clunky than I expected first try and I had to be firm plugging the cables in. I'm using an older LG TV, but there's no issue with audio once it was all sorted.
Hi, yep the HDMI is fine, I’ve tried it in different ports and it’s the same. It’s really strange as Astrobot sounds fine, I have the volume on at about 40 for that and it’s perfectly loud. Maybe it’s an issue with Ratchet & Clank, but I’ve not seen anybody else saying it! Weird.

Pumptruffle

For anyone else that may one day happen upon this issue, I’ve now solved it. I had to go into the sound menu on the tv, and set the PS5 HDMI input to output in linear pcm to match the PS5. For some reason it was set by default to something else.

No idea why this was an issue as I never ran into it with my PS4 or PS4 pro

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom