PS5 and RXA3040 on LG TV

Paparey

Novice Member
I have a PS5 on the way, but a 4K LG TV that has only ARC, not eARC (so no full uncompressed ATMOS passthrough etc. and unable to use the sharc) and an AVR with no HDR passthrough (currently using an HDfury for Sky Q as my AVR is also pre HDCP2.2, but that's working fine).

So, accepting that I'm limited to [email protected] (not 120), now that there appear to be a number of hdmi 2.1 splitters available that will do this, my question is:

Can I send the ps5 into a splitter, with one output into the TV (allowing [email protected] with HDR) with the other hdmi output into the AVR just for audio (hopefully allowing full uncompressed audio)?

TV is an LG65SK9500PLA and the AVR a Yamaha RXA3040.

dante01

Distinguished Member
No, you cannot simply use a splitter. The splitter would still limit the video to the least capable device;s abilities because the source device would still detect the presence of that device within the HDMI chain.

You basically need an HDMI audio extractor. This is a device you'd pass the HDMI video signal through while simultaneously using it to extract the HDMI audio signal and convey just that audio signal to your AVR via HDMI.

I think HDFury make sometghing that would provide a solution, but it wont be cheap.

If only wanting access to 4K 60Hz video then simply connect the PS5 directly to your Yamaha RXA3040 AV receiver. Your AVR is ablr to handle and pass this through.

This model will support HDMI 2.0 connectivity. It supports 4K Ultra HD 50 Hz/60 Hz signal pass-through to output motion-smooth high definition videos.It also supports RGB, YCbCr 4:4:4, YCbCr 4:2:2 as well as YCbCr 4:2:0 video signal for more vibrant and lifelike images.
*Firmware update to support this feature has been available since 2014 Nov.

You would lose HDR though and you'd not be able to play anything 4K accessed via the streaming apps on the console or play UHD encoded discs because the AVR lacks compliance with HDCP 2.2. Games don't use this digital copyright protection.

Last edited:

Paparey

Novice Member
No, you cannot simply use a splitter. The splitter would still limit the video to the least capable device;s abilities because the source device would still detect the presence of that device within the HDMI chain.

You basically need an HDMI audio extractor. THis is a device you'dpass the HDMI video signal through while simultaneously using it to extract the HDMI audio signal and convey just that audio signal to your AVR via HDMI.

I think HDFury make sometghing that would provide a solution, but it wont be cheap.

If only wanting access to 4K 60Hz video then simply connect the PS5 directly to your Yamaha RXA3040 AV receiver. Your AVR is ablr to handle and pass this through.

This model will support HDMI 2.0 connectivity. It supports 4K Ultra HD 50 Hz/60 Hz signal pass-through to output motion-smooth high definition videos.It also supports RGB, YCbCr 4:4:4, YCbCr 4:2:2 as well as YCbCr 4:2:0 video signal for more vibrant and lifelike images.
*Firmware update to support this feature has been available since 2014 Nov.

You would lose HDR though and you'd not be able to play anything 4K accessed via the streaming apps on the console or play UHD encoded discs because the AVR lacks compliance with HDCP 2.2. Games don't use this digital copyright protection.
The HD Fury linker I already have resolves the issues re HDCP2.2, as I'm already using skyQ in 4k through the AVR with no problems.

The splitter also allows u to force the input to see the higher resolution as far as I can see, and from reading some of the reviews people are using them to do exactly this, full [email protected] into TV and the second output into an HDMI 1.4 AVR.

I'm thinking of trying just the splitter, and possibly the splitter into the HD Fury (in case I need to scale the output from the splitter before it hits the avr).

Will report back in time once it's all arrived and tested.

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom