PS5 and old receiver question

Hey all,

I have a PS5 and an old receive (Onkyo HT-R538). The receiver works well and I don't really want to replace it, but I also want 4k through my TV.

I have tried connecting the PS5 directly to the TV and then a digital optical cable back to the receiver, but it only seems to play stereo sound (even when changing audio settings in the PS5). I have also tried via an ARC cable, but, again, only get stereo sound.

Is there anything I'm missing here? My TV passes through surround sound, so I'm not sure why my receiver isn't picking it up. Is there any work around?

password1

Tv model may be useful for someone else who might be familiar with your TV.

could you split the signal. video to tv and sound directly to avr from ps5

im assuming the ps5 has hdmi output.

tazmago

Distinguished Member
I have my PS5 set up exactly the same way, also to an older Onkyo receiver, and it works fine for 5.1 surround. In my PS5 audio options I’ve selected AV Amplifier as my audio output>hdmi device type, and my PS5 is set to output Bitstream (Dolby), if you choose LPCM you will only get stereo over optical.

On my TV (LG C8) I had to change the HDMI audio setting to optical out, have you done the same thing on your TV?

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom