• Watch our Live Stream podcast now. This week we interview Chris Mullins from Sony Professional about the latest native Sony 4K projectors and we discuss the best Hi-Fi products of the year. Join us and ask the team questions

PS5 and Current TV Spec's

Blaupunkt

Hi, so I have been looking and I cannot see anything about it, I am mostly referring to HDMI 2.1, to my knowledge only LG's premium OLED claim to fully support HDMI 2.1?

I am guessing the PS5 will fully support 2.1 and all of its features, so if your TV does not have any HDMI 2.1 features or only some support for HDMI 2.1 any guesses on how this could affect performance, input lag, etc or is it something most people are not concerned about?

I must admit it is putting me off buying a new (2019) TV and I am trying to hold out until the 2020 tv spec's have been released.

FadgewackeR

Distinguished Member
HDMI 2.1 is needed for some of the higher refresh rates that COULD be possible in some circumstances.

Fortunately my LG OLED will handle 4k HDR @60hz / FPS, so really, if the PS5 hits those specs in the games that I play, I'll be delighted.

If, when the PS5 comes out, there are amazing leaps that are tied to HDMI 2.1, I'll consider a reinvestment...

If the main reason for your investment is for the PS5, I'd wait till near or just after release and buy what suits your budget best at the time, You'll likely be able to pick up some great bargains for the "older tech" that doesn't do 2.1.

If you're desperate for an upgrade now, unless you expect PS5 will perform better than 4k HDR @ 60FPS, just bite the bullet and get a good OLED without breaking the bank.

silvercue

Distinguished Member
Nothing to worry about now. If you can hold off buying a TV there is benefit in that anyway. I just got a new set, which I really like, but I pushed the last one to the limit really.

koeman

My understanding is that hdmi 2.0 to 2.1 could potentially be done via firmware rather than hardware

Blaupunkt

I thought 2.0 could be upgraded to 2.0a with support for some features but not fully 2.1 by firmware patch.

I am going to hold off buying a new TV until 2020 specs have been announced unless the TV stops working!

shoestring25

Distinguished Member
Hi, so I have been looking and I cannot see anything about it, I am mostly referring to HDMI 2.1, to my knowledge only LG's premium OLED claim to fully support HDMI 2.1?

I am guessing the PS5 will fully support 2.1 and all of its features, so if your TV does not have any HDMI 2.1 features or only some support for HDMI 2.1 any guesses on how this could affect performance, input lag, etc or is it something most people are not concerned about?

I must admit it is putting me off buying a new (2019) TV and I am trying to hold out until the 2020 tv spec's have been released.
I am doing the same i suspect most of next years tv models will be full hdmi 2.1. I want to have the option of VRR and 120hz gaming next gen if some titles offer it

Stinja

I am going to hold off buying a new TV until 2020 specs have been announced unless the TV stops working!
I've still got a 1080p tv - 'ave it! :p Like Blaup, unless it breaks, i'm holding out until PS5 (or at least firm specs) before upgrading.

Should make the next-gen impact more... umm.. impactful.

Robothamster

Distinguished Member

Gizmoto

Novice Member
The new 2020 Vizio TVs will have hdmi 2.1 as I imagine other manufacturers will as well. I am waiting fore the new Quantum PX which will also support variable refresh rate and have gaming a chip as well.

TUBBST4R

I've only recently become aware of this and what it means to us gamers. The general gist I get is that without HDMI 2.1 we cannot get 120FPS at 4K of which I only know of 2 games thus far that will offer this option (CoD Black Ops Cold War and Dirt 5)

If I read and absorbed the info correctly then we will be able to get 120FPS at 1080 or 1440 but I guess it depends on how much control we get within game menus to tailor this or will be it be like it now where we only have option to favour Frames or Rez?

To be honest if we get a solid native 4k at 60FPS which most folk believe is the baseline they're aiming for I'll be happy to hold off getting a new TV until 2.1 becomes more widespread as some quick research yesterday and cheapest LED I could find was £999, other than that it was OLEDS.

Another point to consider is PSVR which has been confirmed to work with PS5 but the processing unit will not passthrough 4k at 120FPS so will require unplugging if like I do now have it plugged into my PS4 Pro at all times since V2 did 4k HDR passthrough.

shoestring25

Distinguished Member
I've only recently become aware of this and what it means to us gamers. The general gist I get is that without HDMI 2.1 we cannot get 120FPS at 4K of which I only know of 2 games thus far that will offer this option (CoD Black Ops Cold War and Dirt 5)

If I read and absorbed the info correctly then we will be able to get 120FPS at 1080 or 1440 but I guess it depends on how much control we get within game menus to tailor this or will be it be like it now where we only have option to favour Frames or Rez?

To be honest if we get a solid native 4k at 60FPS which most folk believe is the baseline they're aiming for I'll be happy to hold off getting a new TV until 2.1 becomes more widespread as some quick research yesterday and cheapest LED I could find was £999, other than that it was OLEDS.

Another point to consider is PSVR which has been confirmed to work with PS5 but the processing unit will not passthrough 4k at 120FPS so will require unplugging if like I do now have it plugged into my PS4 Pro at all times since V2 did 4k HDR passthrough.
there are other features in HDMI 2.1 as well such as VRR. ALLM and EARC for amps

shoestring25

Distinguished Member
basically if i already had a 4k HDR tv i was happy with i wouldnt replace it with an HDMI 2.1 one.

but if i was in the market for a new tv i would get one with HDMI 2.1

winka45

I could do with a new TV for my gaming room as I play my ps4 on a 12 year old 32 inch Toshiba 1080p set.

Going for a CX48 in the black friday sales, cant wait as the jump from 32 inch 1080p to 48 inch 4k HDR will be immense and will make my PS5 feel truly next gen.

I do have a 55 inch LGC6 in the living room but only ever hooked it up twice as it's too much hassle unplugging all the wires and PSVR setup then reseting it all back up.

Mallett94

basically if i already had a 4k HDR tv i was happy with i wouldnt replace it with an HDMI 2.1 one.

but if i was in the market for a new tv i would get one with HDMI 2.1
Especially as it now looks like that the max native res that is output when putting a game into 120fps (target) mode is 1440p. If next gen consoles actually offer 1440p @ 120hz as a video output resolution option, then this signal would fit inside the bandwith of HDMI 2.0b as has already been proven by people forcing custom resolutions on PC's to 120hz capable displays. Personally though, I think most of the time I will be sticking to solid, 4K 60 fps. Might have a look at 4K 30 fps with ray tracing just to see what it looks like, but I'd rather have a solid and stable 60 fps at 4K than have ray tracing. That might just be me though.

TUBBST4R

I took the plunge and picked up an LG OLED at the weekend in preparation for the PS5. It was the entry level LOED55BX6 that despite only having having x2 HDMI 2.1 ports (one of which is ARc/eArc) has been getting excellent reviews for the actual picture quality, plus it has GSync which is supposed to make a difference for us gamers.

I was originally eyeing up the Sony LED Xh9005 but thought for the difference of £200 I'd be silly not buy the OLED, I kind of justified to the wife saying its future proofing us and it would be the last TV I'd need to buy for some time. Plus the Sony still only had x2 HDMI 2.1 ports and again one of them was for the Arc/eARC so no advantage on that front.

The problem I have now is that obviously to take advantage of HDMI 2.1 the PS5 will need to connect directly to one of the HDMI 2.1 ports and the other port will be used to connect to my AV receiver (Sony STR-DN1080) to utilise the eArc for sound. I am currently doing this for my PS4 with the aim of just hot swapping the it out for the PS5 but currently I'm getting awful sound delay. Just a quick FYI but last year before we were aware of the new incoming HDMI 2.1 standard I bought an LG 55" Nanocell that was on offer with free soundbar and I had the exactly the same problem. Luckily I got that TV sent back because it had horrendous light bleed (I actually had it replaced but the replacement was the same so eventually got a full refund. Now having this OLED (which I have to say the picture is stunning on) and having the same sound delay issue had me concerned. what reinforces this concern is that if you perform a quick search on Google for Arc/eArc sound delay and dont actually give Google the heads up on it being LG and the majority of the results that come back seem to point at this mainly being a problem with LG Tvs and not with any particular combination of TV + soundbar/amp. Obviously people connecting directly to their tv and using headphones or the TV speakers should have no issues and will see the 4k 120fps in all its glory.

The firmware is up to date on the TV and the last firmware update for my Sony Amp upgraded the Arc socket to eArc but unfortunately the HDMi inputs do not allow more than 4k 60fps so will not be able to get 120fps via passthrough. The obvious solution is to have the AV slider on either the AV Amp or TV to be decreased but it only goes one way. Regardless of the new HDMI 2.1 standard it's shocking that this is still an issue in 2020 as you can see some of the posts via Google results hint at it being an issue for quite some time. I have reached out to LG but I'm not holding my breath judging by the results I'd previously mentioned via Google with folk stating that LG aren't listening or interested. For now I'll have to settle for hopefully a rock solid 60fps at 4k and see how many games take advantage of 120fps. I know Dirt 5 and CoD Black Ops Cold War have been confirmed so far but a lot of games may also be limited to 30fps if using Ray Tracing, plus I'm sure Dirt 5 when running at 120fps lost a bit of detail but it was an early build so we can wait to see how it all plays out in the coming weeks/months, no doubt Digital Foundry will be all over it.

Mallett94

I took the plunge and picked up an LG OLED at the weekend in preparation for the PS5. It was the entry level LOED55BX6 that despite only having having x2 HDMI 2.1 ports (one of which is ARc/eArc) has been getting excellent reviews for the actual picture quality, plus it has GSync which is supposed to make a difference for us gamers.

I was originally eyeing up the Sony LED Xh9005 but thought for the difference of £200 I'd be silly not buy the OLED, I kind of justified to the wife saying its future proofing us and it would be the last TV I'd need to buy for some time. Plus the Sony still only had x2 HDMI 2.1 ports and again one of them was for the Arc/eARC so no advantage on that front.

The problem I have now is that obviously to take advantage of HDMI 2.1 the PS5 will need to connect directly to one of the HDMI 2.1 ports and the other port will be used to connect to my AV receiver (Sony STR-DN1080) to utilise the eArc for sound. I am currently doing this for my PS4 with the aim of just hot swapping the it out for the PS5 but currently I'm getting awful sound delay. Just a quick FYI but last year before we were aware of the new incoming HDMI 2.1 standard I bought an LG 55" Nanocell that was on offer with free soundbar and I had the exactly the same problem. Luckily I got that TV sent back because it had horrendous light bleed (I actually had it replaced but the replacement was the same so eventually got a full refund. Now having this OLED (which I have to say the picture is stunning on) and having the same sound delay issue had me concerned. what reinforces this concern is that if you perform a quick search on Google for Arc/eArc sound delay and dont actually give Google the heads up on it being LG and the majority of the results that come back seem to point at this mainly being a problem with LG Tvs and not with any particular combination of TV + soundbar/amp. Obviously people connecting directly to their tv and using headphones or the TV speakers should have no issues and will see the 4k 120fps in all its glory.

The firmware is up to date on the TV and the last firmware update for my Sony Amp upgraded the Arc socket to eArc but unfortunately the HDMi inputs do not allow more than 4k 60fps so will not be able to get 120fps via passthrough. The obvious solution is to have the AV slider on either the AV Amp or TV to be decreased but it only goes one way. Regardless of the new HDMI 2.1 standard it's shocking that this is still an issue in 2020 as you can see some of the posts via Google results hint at it being an issue for quite some time. I have reached out to LG but I'm not holding my breath judging by the results I'd previously mentioned via Google with folk stating that LG aren't listening or interested. For now I'll have to settle for hopefully a rock solid 60fps at 4k and see how many games take advantage of 120fps. I know Dirt 5 and CoD Black Ops Cold War have been confirmed so far but a lot of games may also be limited to 30fps if using Ray Tracing, plus I'm sure Dirt 5 when running at 120fps lost a bit of detail but it was an early build so we can wait to see how it all plays out in the coming weeks/months, no doubt Digital Foundry will be all over it.
What do you have as your audio format priority settings as on your PS4? What are the different audio setting options available on your TV?

TUBBST4R

What do you have as your audio format priority settings as on your PS4? What are the different audio setting options available on your TV?
Truth be told I cant quite remember exactly but I did try different combos, one of them actual had my sound all out of balance with main central sounds coming more predominantly out of my rear speakers. There might be a small chance it can be sorted if I get the mix right by tinkering as some posts I've seen seem to suggest messing around and turning off any processing by the TV so it doesnt delay it through decoding. What is your genuine thoughts, is it about getting the mix and options right? just that the results on Google had me feeling quite defeated and that there was no easy solution. Knowing I had the same issue with Nanocell last year on Arc I was quietly confident the OLED having eArc and 2.1 (so more bandwidth through cables etc) would sort it

I think the PS4 is limited to Bitstream, Dolby or Dolby DTS and TV had either Bitstream or PCM.

Last edited:

FadgewackeR

Distinguished Member
Truth be told I cant quite remember exactly but I did try different combos, one of them actual had my sound all out of balance with main central sounds coming more predominantly out of my rear speakers. There might be a small chance it can be sorted if I get the mix right by tinkering as some posts I've seen seem to suggest messing around and turning off any processing by the TV so it doesnt delay it through decoding. What is your genuine thoughts, is it about getting the mix and options right? just that the results on Google had me feeling quite defeated and that there was no easy solution. Knowing I had the same issue with Nanocell last year on Arc I was quietly confident the OLED having eArc and 2.1 (so more bandwidth through cables etc) would sort it

I think the PS4 is limited to Bitstream, Dolby or Dolby DTS and TV had either Bitstream or PCM.
If you have them both on LPCM that will surely have the best chance, no? I know with my Yamaha bar I can adjust for delay, but I've never needed to (having only ever gone via the bar for passthrough).

I was going to try arc back to the bar with optical going from TV to headset base station and PS5 direct to the TV moving forward for minimal input lag, and retaining the chat mix functionality on headphones, but sounds like there may be issues doing that with what you say.

FadgewackeR

Distinguished Member
I kind of justified to the wife saying its future proofing us and it would be the last TV I'd need to buy for some time.
LOL... I remember saying that when I I got the 65B7... Now she just frowns when she see's I've marked out a 77GX on the wall :rotfl:

TUBBST4R

If you have them both on LPCM that will surely have the best chance, no? I know with my Yamaha bar I can adjust for delay, but I've never needed to (having only ever gone via the bar for passthrough).

I was going to try arc back to the bar with optical going from TV to headset base station and PS5 direct to the TV moving forward for minimal input lag, and retaining the chat mix functionality on headphones, but sounds like there may be issues doing that with what you say.
I'll surely have another tinker before the PS5 lands 👍 Some guys at work were suggesting optical but I'm sure I remember running into issues with it not outputting true HD audio all the way back on the day of the PS3 and my first dabble with blurays. Plus the PS5 doesn't have optical so need even an option

FadgewackeR

Distinguished Member
I'll surely have another tinker before the PS5 lands 👍 Some guys at work were suggesting optical but I'm sure I remember running into issues with it not outputting true HD audio all the way back on the day of the PS3 and my first dabble with blurays. Plus the PS5 doesn't have optical so need even an option
Yeah, i'd only put the optical there to go to my headset base station... I'd rely on the ARC for game audio back to the bar.

Saying that though... and I'm no expert here, but if anyone went that route (and I know some are) then the TV would feed game audio back to my headset base station via optical, and chat would come via USB to the base unit from the PS5, and then the 2 are mixed together there enabling you to control chat volume via the base station / headset knobs... so you'd be limited to the optical feed for the main audio... would PS5 3D audio even work via optical?

It's a messy old minefield.

Mallett94

On PS4, by default the audio of games is done as LPCM. The idea setup for your package would be HDMI set as your Primary Audio out, Linear PCM selected as the Format Priority. Next thing is going to be your TV settings. SIMPLINK (LGs HDMI-CEC) needs to be enabled. HDMI cable from HDMI/ARC or HDMI/eARC port on TV to equivalent on your AVR. Then for best quality you would want to be passing through Audio in eARC mode so that the 5.1/7.1 LPCM audio from PS4/PS5 is transferred to AVR.

If this results in delay, what happens if you disable eARC on the LG? Yes you will only be getting Stereo sound then, but I would be confident you would have no delay.

Your other options would be to set PS4's Format Priority to Bitstream Dolby Digital and passthrough that via ARC to AVR. I have always found there to be delay using this method though. I don't if trying to transfer it in eARC mode would have a better result.

Let us know how you get on tinkering.

TUBBST4R

On PS4, by default the audio of games is done as LPCM. The idea setup for your package would be HDMI set as your Primary Audio out, Linear PCM selected as the Format Priority. Next thing is going to be your TV settings. SIMPLINK (LGs HDMI-CEC) needs to be enabled. HDMI cable from HDMI/ARC or HDMI/eARC port on TV to equivalent on your AVR. Then for best quality you would want to be passing through Audio in eARC mode so that the 5.1/7.1 LPCM audio from PS4/PS5 is transferred to AVR.

If this results in delay, what happens if you disable eARC on the LG? Yes you will only be getting Stereo sound then, but I would be confident you would have no delay.

Your other options would be to set PS4's Format Priority to Bitstream Dolby Digital and passthrough that via ARC to AVR. I have always found there to be delay using this method though. I don't if trying to transfer it in eARC mode would have a better result.

Let us know how you get on tinkering.
I'll have a tinker and keep you posted. 👍

The latest video from AVForums

LG SN11RG Dolby Atmos Soundbar, plus, XBOOM Go PN7 & PL7 Wireless Speaker Reviews

Latest News

Sky agrees movie deal with Entertainment One
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Amazon Prime Video UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Lypertek renames TEVI wireless earphones to PurePlay Z3
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Disney+ UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett