Question PS5 and Astro headsets

Andybtsn

Hi all,

I have an Astro A40 TR with mixamp. Gen 3. In order to use optical I needed the following adaptor:

Astro have advised me that they don’t anticipate having this in until the new year so what are people doing? I see there are other hdmi > optical adaptors, wiki they work? Or does it need to be this specific Astro one.

Thanks

priesty_lfc

Hi all,

I have an Astro A40 TR with mixamp. Gen 3. In order to use optical I needed the following adaptor:

Astro have advised me that they don’t anticipate having this in until the new year so what are people doing? I see there are other hdmi > optical adaptors, wiki they work? Or does it need to be this specific Astro one.

Thanks

Hi, did you manage to sort this? I have the adapter but may be selling it if you are UK based?

Mallett94

You have 2 ways to achieve virtual surround sound in your Astros using PS5.
----------------------------------------------
Method 1 - 7.1 Virtual surround sound using a dolby digital 5.1 bitstream audio signal into mixamp

PS5 usb to astro mixamp for power and voice chat. On the PS5 disable 3d audio and set output to headphones to chat audio.
In ps5 audio settings set output to HDMI device. Set HDMI device to audio receiver and set the number of channels to 5.1 (or 7.1 if you think it sounds better). Set format priority to Bitstream dolby.
On your tv change the sound/audio settings so that audio is sent out through digital optical (toslink) using bitstream format and dolby digital as the codec (on some TVs like Sonys just use Auto 1 setting). Connect your tvs digital optical out to digital optical in on astro mixamp. Make sure dolby headphone is enabled on mixamp. Connect headset to mixamp.
Voila, you can now use your a40s exactly as you would have on previous consoles.

---------------------------------------------------------
Method 2 - 3D audio directly from PS5 Tempest Engine

PS5 usb to astro mixamp, no digital optical cable at all. usb cable is use for game, voice and power. On ps5 set output to headphones to all audio. Enable 3d audio. Turn OFF dolby headphone on the astro mixamp. Connect headset to mixamp.

---------------------------------------------------------
Method 3 - 3D audio directly from PS5 Tempest Engine

Plug headset directly into dualsense controller. On ps5 set output to headphones to all audio. Enable 3d audio.

Hope this helps.

shaolin kid

Anyone's else having charging issues? They lose power once the ps5 is put in rest mode, It seems to be a know problem but as of yet no solution

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom