PS5 4K Transfer Rates & Onkyo 676E Issues (YUV422 vs YUV420)

ch3csc

Novice Member
Any advise on the following would be greatly appreciated:

I recently bought a PS5 and have had a few issues with output settings - if 4k transfer rate is set to automatic the screen goes black for a second and then goes back to normal. I understand that this is due to limitations of HDMI. I am using ultra-speed HDMI cables.

I have a LG 55OLEDC7 and an Onkyo TX-NR676E which both have HDMI 2.0 and are both capable of YUV422 (transfer rate -1), however (even with the Onkyo set to enhanced mode) cannot run at YUV422 I can only get it to work at YUV420 (transfer -2). I don't know why the Onkyo won't passthrough YUV422 without issues.

If I connect the PS5 directly to the TV it works flawlessly in automatic 4k transfer rate at YUV422 but I am limited to sending bitstream audio via optical to the Onkyo with some audio delay (that I can't adjust any further).

Which would be better? PS5 > AV > TV (YUV420 and linear PCM 7.1) OR PS5 > TV > AV (YUV422 and bitstream dolby via optical).
Is there really a noticeable difference between YUV420 and YUV422)?

TheHighFlyingBirds

Can't answer why the onkyo Won't pass it through. But I would say go with ps5 to AV to TV for 7.1 (if you have a 7.1 setup). I wouldn't imagine you would be able to tell the difference of YUV 422 vs 420. You could always try it both ways on a game to see if there is any noticeable difference in the graphics.

Upvote 0

ch3csc

Novice Member
Can't answer why the onkyo Won't pass it through. But I would say go with ps5 to AV to TV for 7.1 (if you have a 7.1 setup). I wouldn't imagine you would be able to tell the difference of YUV 422 vs 420. You could always try it both ways on a game to see if there is any noticeable difference in the graphics.
Yeah I've not been able to figure it out either - Onkyo state that the receiver can accept 4K 60p 4:4:4, 4:2:2 and 4K 60p 4:2:0 10 bit but when I choose 422 it keeps flashing black every few minutes.
I can't really see any difference when playing games so I'll probably leave it as PS5 > AV > TV for now.
Plus I think the sound delay going through optical will get on my nerves.

Upvote 0

TheHighFlyingBirds

Yeah I've not been able to figure it out either - Onkyo state that the receiver can accept 4K 60p 4:4:4, 4:2:2 and 4K 60p 4:2:0 10 bit but when I choose 422 it keeps flashing black every few minutes.
Have you tried a different cable? I assume when going via Onkyo you use two cables. One from the PS5 to the Onkyo and one from the Onkyo to the TV. It might be worth trying both HDMI cables from PS5 to the TV to see that they both work correctly.

Upvote 0

ch3csc

Novice Member
Have you tried a different cable? I assume when going via Onkyo you use two cables. One from the PS5 to the Onkyo and one from the Onkyo to the TV. It might be worth trying both HDMI cables from PS5 to the TV to see that they both work correctly.
Yeah both cables are certified ultra speed just to be on the safe side. Connecting the PS5 directly to the TV works perfectly, but the Onkyo should be able to pass through YUV422 so it’s a bit weird that it doesn’t.

Upvote 0

Darth_terra

Distinguished Member
Just to check, have you connected the Onkyo online and updated the firmware to the latest version, if not I would suggest doing so that could help.

Also which input port on the Onkyo are you using, I'm assuming it's the Game one, maybe try another port like the BD/DVD it could be the Game one is faulty, don't worry all the ports are the same spec so your not losing anything by using a different one.

Other than that only other thing would be faulty HDMI cables.

Upvote 0

ch3csc

Novice Member
Finally think I've figured this out - moving the HDMI from the TVs HDMI 2 (ARC) to HDMI 1 allowed me to play on the PS5 for over an hour with the 4K transfer rate set at -1. YUV422 24 bit was used the whole time. Maybe there was an issue with using ARC when setting chroma to YUV422.

I don't use the TV apps so don't need ARC - plus I could use optical out if I needed to anyway.

Upvote 0

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom