Wilver01

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I’ve just managed to finally get hold of a PS5 and I'm having difficulty in setting it up correctly for use with 4k blu rays.

I have the PS5 plugged into a Samsung QE49Q70R TV with the included HDMI cable (I’ve also tried a spare HDMI 2.1 cable that I had lying around.) I also have a Sony HT-X8500 soundbar plugged in via the TV’s ARC port with an HDMI 2.1 cable. The PS5 will display HDR at 4k with this setup. However, if I play a 4k blu ray with HDR and Dolby Atmos support, my soundbar doesn’t output Atmos.

I have the PS5 set to Dolby under settings\sound\audio output\audio format (priority) and to Bitstream under in the disc player app’s settings. As far as I can see, these are the only settings I need to change to enable Atmos.

The only way I can make the PS5 output Atmos is to plug it directly into the soundbar. However the TV will only output HDR at 1080p not 2160p if I do this. Alternatively, I have Atmos at 2160p without HDR.

I’ve emailed Playstation and they said they can’t really help because I'm using “a lot of hardware components”. They suggest I keep it on 1080p and they stated “Hopefully a System Update will update the resolution soon and you can use the Dolby Atmos System”. This doesn’t really help and it seems a bit pointless having a 4k blu ray player with a 4k movie and setting everything at 1080p!

I know the tv is set up correctly as I have plugged the PS5 into the same HDMI input as I use with a Sky Q box. This can display 4k with both HDR and Atmos enabled, however if I unplug the Sky Q box and plug the PS5 in, I only have 4k HDR with no Atmos. So I know the HDMI port will accept a 4k HDR Atmos signal but the PS5 won’t do Atmos unless it’s plugged directly into the soundbar, and I have to give up either 4k resolution or HDR support.

Does anyone have any ideas on why I can't get all 3 working at the same time? Is this a software limitation of the PS5 itself?

Thanks.

Ash

I believe that your TV will need to support eARC (rather than just ARC) for it to be able to pass the Atmos audio bitstream to your soundbar from the PS5. Is there a setting for your TV to enable eARC or Enhanced HDMI or something similar?

Likewise your soundbar would need to be able to pass through the 4K HDR video bitstream to your TV from the PS5. Are there any settings to enable Enhanced HDMI or similar on your soundbar?

Upvote 0
Hi Marco,

I don't think the TV does support eARC, just regular ARC. However the Sky Q box seems to manage to pass the Atmos signal to the soundbar at 4k with HDR despite the lack of eARC support. 🤔

I checked the settings on the soundbar regarding 4k HDR passthrough as you suggested and a quick google found a section in the manual about the HDMI signal format. The soundbar was set to standard format rather than enhanced format.

Changing this setting to enhanced format then plugging the PS5 into the soundbar has solved the problem! I now have a 4k output with both HDR and Dolby Atmos!

I've attached the page from the soundbar manual in case anyone else has the same issue and finds this post.

Thank you so much for your help! I can't believe the solution was so simple! I would never have found that setting without your help!

Ash

Attachments

• HT-X8500 enhanced format.jpg
    HT-X8500 enhanced format.jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 375
Upvote 0
Your Sky box is not outputting full fat Dolby Atmos (unlike the PS5 playing 4K blurays), that’s why it can pass it through regular ARC 👍👍

Upvote 0
Sky Box is doing lossy Atmos. Dolby Digital Plus Audio signal with Atmos metadata. Blurays and 4K blurays with Atmos sound tracks are Dolby True HD audio (lossless) with Atmos metadata.

Your TV and soundbar need to support eARC to pass lossless audio formats.

Upvote 0
I think it wont decode Atmos as Sony didnt want to pay for the Atmos licence, so it wont work in games. But it can pass it untouched to an Amp or sound bar for decoding from a BluRay disc.

Upvote 0
I’m so confused. I keep hearing that the PS5 doesn’t even output Atmos
It can output bitstream Dolby True HD soundtracks with Atmos metadata from Blurays and 4K Blurays only. It cannot output Atmos for games or streaming services.

Upvote 0
Pretty bad that it’s not on streaming apps when Series S and even £40 Roku devices support it
One could argue that most people spending circa. £500 on a PS5 probably have a fairly modern TV which has native streaming apps which support Dolby Atmos output?

As someone else said, this is more Sony saving money by not paying for the Dolby Atmos license. The money saved from this is probably enabling their RnD for the bespoke Tempest Engine 3D Audio which they are developing. So far it has been released for headphones and TV speakers. AVR systems are up next.

Upvote 0
Hi

I have my PlayStation 5 connected to a Yamaha RX-A4A AC Receiver which is then connected to a Panasonic TX-65JZ2000B.

On the PlayStation 5, Sound>Audio Output, I've set Audio Format (Priority) to Dolby. In Screen and Video>Video Output, HDR is always on. When I play the likes on Black Widow on the Disney App or Locke and Key on the Netflix App, my amp with only play Dolby Digital, not Dolby Atmos. Even though both these titles have Dolby Atmos.

Any ideas why my amp isn't outputing Dolby Atmos, or doesn't the Disney or Netflix apps support Dolby Digital on the PlayStation 5?

Thanks in Advance

Barry :)

Upvote 0
Hi

I have my PlayStation 5 connected to a Yamaha RX-A4A AC Receiver which is then connected to a Panasonic TX-65JZ2000B.

On the PlayStation 5, Sound>Audio Output, I've set Audio Format (Priority) to Dolby. In Screen and Video>Video Output, HDR is always on. When I play the likes on Black Widow on the Disney App or Locke and Key on the Netflix App, my amp with only play Dolby Digital, not Dolby Atmos. Even though both these titles have Dolby Atmos.

Any ideas why my amp isn't outputing Dolby Atmos, or doesn't the Disney or Netflix apps support Dolby Digital on the PlayStation 5?

Thanks in Advance

Barry :)
See the post directly above yours LOL

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom