PS5/4K Blu-ray surround sound issue

THGhost

Novice Member
Hi everyone, it's been a while since I've posted here and I could use some help.

I have a Samsung QE65Q7FNA TV, a Sony HT-S20R 5.1 soundbar w/subwoofer & rear speakers, a Panasonic DP-UB420 4K Blu-ray player and a PS5.
The TV has 4 HDMI ports, one of which is ARC enabled. I currently have the HT-S20R connected via the ARC port to the TV (this is the HT-S20R's 1 and only HDMI port). The 4K Blu-ray player and the PS5 are each connected to one of the other available HDMI ports.

Neither the PS5 or the 4K Blu-ray player are able to produce surround sound when playing Blu-ray discs with DTS/DTS-HD MA. The PS5 however can produce surround sound when playing games.

Both devices only produce stereo due to my TV not allowing me to select "Dolby Digital" on the TV's "Digital Output Audio Format" setting. I believe this is because my Samsung TV does not support DTS via ARC and the PS5 does not downmix DTS to Dolby Digital through Bitstream (which the PS4 apparently did). I have "Bitstream" in the PS5's Blu-ray menu enabled but it still outputs as stereo.
I've tried plugging the 4K Blu-ray player directly into the TV via both an HDMI cable and an optical cable (the PS5 has no optical port), but it still only outputs as stereo.

Would an audio extractor solve the problem? Hopefully convert the DTS to Dolby Digital 5.1 which my TV supports via ARC/optical?
e.g.
PS5>HDMI>Extractor>HDMI>TV>HDMI ARC>Subwoofer?
PS5>HDMI>Extractor>HDMI>TV>Optical>Subwoofer?
If I can get the PS5 to output surround sound for Blu-rays then I won't need my 4K Blu-ray player anymore.

I can't seem to post Amazon links to some audio extractors for some reason, the links keep getting removed ¯\(ツ)

Last edited:

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
'Hopefully convert the DTS to Dolby Digital 5.1' - that'll cost you/your hardware supplier around $100k per annum (plus a per chip fee for every chip they embed in a device) for a licence, you can see why it is not available on a lot of devices, esp. low cost audio extractors.

A new Soundbar with a suitable number of HDMI Inputs plus DTS, HDR, ARC (or eARC for future proofing) etc support is possibly your best option and connect your Sources to the Soundbar then send Video to the TV from the Soundbar and retain ARC for audio from the TV Tuner and Apps (if you use them).

Joe

THGhost

Novice Member
Fair enough :laugh:
Which soundbar would you recommend? I admittedly did get the Sony HT-S20R because it was cheap.

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom