PS5 blu-ray Dolby Atmos yes Dolby Vision no

cybersoga

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi, has there been any information about PS5's 4K blu-ray playing capabilities?

Will it support 24p output, Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision?

I am no expert but you would think these would be a given. I believe the PS4 supports Dolby Atmos already by enabling bitstream (Dolby)

PS4 definitely supports 1080p/24hz blu ray playback so you would hope the 4k equivalent would be possible on PS5 but I always find the picture is choppy at 24p.

I am also wondering about the Disney+ app. They have included a Disney+ button on the media remote but I have found Disney+ to offer poor picture quality on PS4. Not sure why but Nextflix, YouTube and games all run in 4k HDR but not Disney+. I get 4k but no HDR10. If everything else runs at 4k HDR it can't be my PS4 and it can't be my internet as my Amazon TV stick delivers a perfect Disney+ 4k UHD picture. Its just irritating to need to use another HDMI socket just to watch Disney + when the PS4 should be able to do it. So I am hoping it's sorted for PS5.

I agree about Disney+, it is extremely poor on the PS4. Lets hope they improve it for PS5.

As well as 24p from blu-rays like the PS4 does i’d also like it to match frame rate to content from other apps, like Apple TV does.

will it do 3d?

Hope this helps marked in red!
- DTS HD
- Dolby Atmos

My guess is it will support ATMOS and DTS. No idea about Dolby Vision...

EiSNn-aU8Ag5zRC.jpeg

Hope this helps marked in red!
- DTS HD
- Dolby Atmos

My guess is it will support ATMOS and DTS. No idea about Dolby Vision...

View attachment 1369108
Are you sure that says Dolby atmos and not Dolby digital or anything. Definitely doesn't look like a 5 letter word when you zoom in.. I'm wondering why on earth it would support dts hd and not dts X. Makes zero sense. Also, if the ps5 doesn't support Dolby vision, I'll run it over with my car and send it back. Making me switch from my ps5 to my SONY 4k bluray with Dolby vision and dts X would really be an issue.
I want to know that the ps5 will support Dolby atmos on every app that has it. Too bad they're busy talking about their tempest engine that works with zero of our expensive home theaters. They should be telling me why the ps5 is going to be better st upscaling/streaming then the apple 4k for example. 24 days to go and absolutely nothing from Sony on anything I care about, but the fact that their tvs have to disable Dolby vision to push 4k120, makes me think its not very high up on their priority list, when it should be. DV will be around for the next 10+ years.
Sorry for the rant. I'm anxious, and I want this to actually be a next gen system. Dts hd. Shaking my head

I expect they are still working on the software, and it may not be fully featured when it ships, and they wont tell you what to expect because it’s still in development. I guess you can always stick with your old devices until the new ones are proven

I expect they are still working on the software, and it may not be fully featured when it ships, and they wont tell you what to expect because it’s still in development. I guess you can always stick with your old devices until the new ones are proven
Right. We'll see. Sometimes the wait makes me a bit anxious, but I guess that's the point.

i think sony are struggling to get DV compataibility which is why MS are advertising it to heavily.

i think sony are struggling to get DV compataibility which is why MS are advertising it to heavily.
Really as long as they have it in the ps5pro(for gaming) and the regular ps5 for bluray and apps...that will be acceptable, but nothing less. We'll see, but I would rather they made a thousand dollar version thats the size of an entire desktop, than make cuts.
Their tvs didn't have room on the edid for both low lag Dolby and 4k120, so people have to choose. Much like LG owners have to choose freesync vs d/v. (Freesync, another way Sony could've seamlessly integrated something for the benefit of everyone out there with an hdmi 2.0 monitor)
I really expect the best from them. Especially how underwhelming the ps4 pro was/is. I don't want to have to buy an xbox when Sony can do all the same things, with a much better controller.

Really as long as they have it in the ps5pro(for gaming) and the regular ps5 for bluray and apps...that will be acceptable, but nothing less. We'll see, but I would rather they made a thousand dollar version thats the size of an entire desktop, than make cuts.
Their tvs didn't have room on the edid for both low lag Dolby and 4k120, so people have to choose. Much like LG owners have to choose freesync vs d/v. (Freesync, another way Sony could've seamlessly integrated something for the benefit of everyone out there with an hdmi 2.0 monitor)
I really expect the best from them. Especially how underwhelming the ps4 pro was/is. I don't want to have to buy an xbox when Sony can do all the same things, with a much better controller.

As far as I know its an EDID limitation so something Sony and LG couldn't work around. They just need a new standard of EDID which is outside of their hands.
Unless you know something more in terms of solutions they could do?

As far as I know its an EDID limitation so something Sony and LG couldn't work around. They just need a new standard of EDID which is outside of their hands.
Unless you know something more in terms of solutions they could do?
No, I'm not blaming the TV manufacturers. moreso saying that its easy to see how ps5 could have issues integrating it, like these manufacturers did. I just hope they figure it out.

I do have a question for you, though. Regarding hgig and games that support it. Isn't that tonemapped straight from the console to do a lot of the same things Dolby vision does with metadata for your specific tvs limitations? I've always wanted to ask someone this. I know Dolby Vision will have superior color, but just on the tone mapping side, how much better is Dolby vision than hgig? Seems like they may attempt to do the same things, for gaming, of course.

No, I'm not blaming the TV manufacturers. moreso saying that its easy to see how ps5 could have issues integrating it, like these manufacturers did. I just hope they figure it out.

I do have a question for you, though. Regarding hgig and games that support it. Isn't that tonemapped straight from the console to do a lot of the same things Dolby vision does with metadata for your specific tvs limitations? I've always wanted to ask someone this. I know Dolby Vision will have superior color, but just on the tone mapping side, how much better is Dolby vision than hgig? Seems like they may attempt to do the same things, for gaming, of course.

There is nothing to figure out. We simply need a new iteration of EDID. I don't think its a gigantic deal personally ans wouldn't wait on an upgrade for it. There are going to be so many more HDR hiccups along the way. DV is superior but I think any HDR is good.

I don't think its hard to integrate Dolby Vision, especially for films and blu-rays. It just all comes down to money and if they want to cough up the cash to Dolby, surely.

HGIG is just an agreed standard HDR made by certain companies as some games are using insane nit values. Dolby Vision is simply a better more sophisticated solution.

I don't know what you mean by tone mapping side of things. The display is going to do the tone mapping with the metadata sent over by the console, of which DV has more.

I don't think its hard to integrate Dolby Vision, especially for films and blu-rays. It just all comes down to money and if they want to cough up the cash to Dolby, surely.

HGIG is just an agreed standard HDR made by certain companies as some games are using insane nit values. Dolby Vision is simply a better more sophisticated solution.

I don't know what you mean by tone mapping side of things. The display is going to do the tone mapping with the metadata sent over by the console, of which DV has more.
Understood. In that case,, I was under the impression that hgig was more sophisticated than it is. Thanks.

Basically videogame tonemapping is all over the place with some obscene target nit values used. I still think HGIG isn't the best solution as its hard to know which games do and don't support HGIG.

I personally still just use my TV's tone mapping for now.

Understood. In that case,, I was under the impression that hgig was more sophisticated than it is. Thanks.

Basically videogame tonemapping is all over the place with some obscene target nit values used. I still think HGIG isn't the best solution as its hard to know which games do and don't support HGIG.

I personally still just use my TV's tone mapping for now.
Interesting. Definitely some loose language being used there. I understand now.
My experiences vary on the ps4 pro. I have the LG cx, and you're right, it is very hard to tell. I'll switch back to dynamic. My eyes liked it better that way anyways. It doesn't seem to be much more advanced than dynamic tone mapping. Just the console will tell the TV what its max tone mapping level should be, which will be useful eventually. I'll wait to hear more about it.

Interesting. Definitely some loose language being used there. I understand now.
My experiences vary on the ps4 pro. I have the LG cx, and you're right, it is very hard to tell. I'll switch back to dynamic. My eyes liked it better that way anyways. It doesn't seem to be much more advanced than dynamic tone mapping. Just the console will tell the TV what its max tone mapping level should be, which will be useful eventually. I'll wait to hear more about it.

All the information is readily available and HGIG is already in action. There is nothing more to hear about tbh. You can do reading but it is what it is... and it is in no way a competitor format or product for Dolby Vision. They are different things.

What audio will games use if I want to use my amp for sound?

I am no expert but you would think these would be a given. I believe the PS4 supports Dolby Atmos already by enabling bitstream (Dolby)

PS4 definitely supports 1080p/24hz blu ray playback so you would hope the 4k equivalent would be possible on PS5 but I always find the picture is choppy at 24p.

I am also wondering about the Disney+ app. They have included a Disney+ button on the media remote but I have found Disney+ to offer poor picture quality on PS4. Not sure why but Nextflix, YouTube and games all run in 4k HDR but not Disney+. I get 4k but no HDR10. If everything else runs at 4k HDR it can't be my PS4 and it can't be my internet as my Amazon TV stick delivers a perfect Disney+ 4k UHD picture. Its just irritating to need to use another HDMI socket just to watch Disney + when the PS4 should be able to do it. So I am hoping it's sorted for PS5.

It's likely you find the Disney+ app underwhelming on PS4/PS4 Pro because a lot, if not all, of Disney's 4K streams are only available in conjunction with Dolby Vision. The PS4 Pro doesn't support a Dolby Vision to HDR10 conversion, (whereas the Apple TV 4K for example does), therefore the Disney+ servers only send the PS4 Pro the 1080p SDR stream. The PS4 Pro then upscales this content to 4K before displaying it on your TV.

If you find 24p choppy, you might want to check your motion settings on your TV when it detects a 24hz input signal. Some TVs have hidden motion settings which can only be changed when 24p content from an external HDMI source is detected/playing.

I would expect it to output multi-channel PCM
Yup, and more than likely Dolby Bitstream. Bound to be the same as we have on PS4, as a minimum.

It's likely you find the Disney+ app underwhelming on PS4/PS4 Pro because a lot, if not all, of Disney's 4K streams are only available in conjunction with Dolby Vision. The PS4 Pro doesn't support a Dolby Vision to HDR10 conversion, (whereas the Apple TV 4K for example does), therefore the Disney+ servers only send the PS4 Pro the 1080p SDR stream. The PS4 Pro then upscales this content to 4K before displaying it on your TV.

If you find 24p choppy, you might want to check your motion settings on your TV when it detects a 24hz input signal. Some TVs have hidden motion settings which can only be changed when 24p content from an external HDMI source is detected/playing.
What a multimedia nightmare they are offering us on the ps4pro...and looks like its the same for the ps5. Not everyone can afford to have an apple 4k next to a real 4k bluray player next to their ps5, taking up most of their inputs, when the other console has it all in one.
They better surprise me by offering Dolby vision for streaming and bluray, and games in the future, or i will be vocal about my unhappiness until they do so. People use ps4 to stream content and its so unfortunate. Most people don't even realize they are getting much worse quality than...well...any other device that streams apps. Sony has neglected the home theater and general a/v enthusiasts for far too long already.

Most tvs do have a motion tab, or de-judder tab, and I've found that on LG and Vizio tvs, 3 is usually the sweet spot, before introducing soap opera. Samsung i believe is a bit different and you can go up to about 6. I prefer a lower setting, just enough to get rid of judder when the camera is panning. Newer tvs are much better at doing this naturally.

The ps5 box says dts hd 7.1 and Dolby audio. That's it. Extremely disappointing, and already looking for a ps5 pro.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom