Question PS4Pro Samsung K950 Soundbar SKY Q. HDMI Connections.

Discussion in 'Soundbars, Soundplates & Soundbases' started by josalsam, Dec 20, 2017.

1. josalsam

josalsam
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As I understand it, the K950 does not have video pass through, I want to use my PS4pro for playing Blue Ray/ Atmos. Netflix and so on. As the PS4 pro only has one HDMI out and HDMI is needed to connect to the soundbar for atmos, how do I get video from PS to my LG 4k ultra smart TV? Could I use a 1x2 HDMI splitter, 4k UltraHD HDMI Input splitter, 1 in 2 out Amplifier Adapter Box Distributor 1080p

HDMI from PS4 into splitter giving two HDMI's out, one to the soundbar the other to the tv

The same is for my sky q box, Sky is trying atmos, so I will need to connect sky q box directly to soundbar with HDMI.

So I would need two splitters, one for the PS4 pro and one for the Sky Q box !!!!!! is this correct?

2. turk3y

turk3y

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,008
    As far as I know it does. The port marked ARC goes to the TV and send video from HDMI in 1 and 2. Audio from the TV tuner or smart apps flows back to the soundbar down that hdmi lead.

Sky q and PS4 Pro should be able to connect directly to the soundbar and the soundbar to the TV.

3. josalsam

josalsam
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi t3y. Thanks for reply
    According to instructions with the soundbar, atmos will not pass through HDMI ARC, you must use HDMI 1 and HDMI 2. This is a shortfall with this soundbar, for what it costs you would have thought Samsung would have got it right. This is the reason I asked if I could use splitters. Just to add, this soundbar is very good, I had a Yamaha before and the Samson, in my opinion, is better.

4. turk3y

turk3y

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,008
    I am not sure I understand, you plug the PS4 and Blu-ray into the soundbar with its two inputs then the soundbar into the TV. you get Atmos from the PS4 and Blu-ray and whatever you are watching will pass through to the TV, 4k HDR and all. I do not think many TVs send Atmos over arc and if they do it's only with Dolby digital and not Dolby HD audio as the spec does not provide nearly enough bandwidth unfortunately, you should have Netflix on the PS4 ( I have an Xbox so don't know that ecosystem).

5. josalsam

josalsam
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I Got myself in a bit of confusion. You are right about connections HDMI 1 & 2, then using ARC to the TV. This is what I originally did and it worked, the problem was you had to have the soundbar on when watching TV from the skybox; the problem is I don't like to have the soundbar on all the time. With the soundbar off I cannot watch programmes from the skybox.
    I did buy a splitter and it works fine, when the soundbar is off, the HDMI from the skybox goes through the splitter to the TV, when I want to use the soundbar the 2nd HDMI from the splitter is used.

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,436
    The ‘limitation’ is with ARC not your Soundbar - ARC does not generally support HD or Immersive Audio formats.

A (very) few TV/Soundbar combinations will support DD+ via ARC (though often only from the TV’s streaming Apps).

Your best option is to swap out the Soundbar for one which does support HDMI Standby Passthru as otherwise you are looking at around £180 for a suitable device to Switch and Split your Source devices ahead of the Soundbar.

Joe