Question PS4 & TV (Optical) & PC (Stereo) Audio Solution.

o0DVS0o

Novice Member
Reaction score
New to these forums, but seems a good place to start asking such questions, so hello all :)

So the situation is I currently have a PS4, TV and Mac set up that they combine their audio outputs into one channel so if I wanted too I could listen all sources at the same time, which is currently done via a very affordable Lepy 2024A Plus Amplifier. This mostly works but not ideally as the audio from the PS4 is run through the TV via HDMI and then the audio from the TV is output via the stereo socket on the side (or possibly phono) to the phono sockets of the amplifier. For some reason this amplifier doesn't separate it's stereo and phono inputs so results in a combined output.

Now I am wanting to upgrade the way I do this and have been searching various forums looking at things like DACs, mixers and digital amplifiers that can accept more than one input and output them as one, but I am confused on the best way to do this, if it is even possible. Ideally I would like to use the optical outs from the TV and PS4 into some sort of amplifier, but also include the stereo out from the Mac. However if that is not possible then use a DAC to convert the optical out either from the TV and/or the PS4 to a stereo amplifier, but then there is still the issue of being able to listen to sound from the Mac and TV/PS4 at the same time.

The only solution I can think of at the moment is to use a DAC from the TV/PS4 into a mixer along with the stereo connection from the Mac, then run this into an amplifier. However I am hoping there is a simpler more elegant solution to this. Any suggestions from more experienced people will be quite welcome.

Thank you.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Is it just not easier to buy an AV receiver, have all the sources connected to this? T
There is no need to go for a complicated work around as this is what they are designed to do.

Thank you for the reply PSM1, this could well be what I am looking for and something I have not looked into yet. Whether I would have to buy an amplifier to go with the receiver I am not sure, but if it can combine audio inputs then it certainly seems a less overly complicated solution, I will be looking into it :)

Also: I don't know if the Astro Mix Amp would be another viable solution...

Last edited:
An AV receiver has the amps built in so does everything you want in one box.

OK helpful to know thank you. I just need to find a reasonable priced one now as a lot of what I'm finding are either bluetooth/NFC ones or cost over £200. I am sure you have better things to do but if you are anyone else has any suggestions for one please let me know...

Hmm...also from my research a stereo or AV receiver doesn't allow for the audio inputs to be combined but more acts as a switch and an amplifier?

Last edited:
You want to play sound from more than one source?

Yeh that's the plan, and how I have it set up currently through the Amp I linked. For example being able to hear the TV and sound coming from my computer at the same time, otherwise I would have to be constantly switching between them.

In that case you need a mixer and probably a dac as well. Surely it gets confusing having 2 sound tracks playing at the same time.

Ironic then that my current cheap amplifier handles mixing as well then, but tis as I feared so not sure its worth it to go to those lengths :O It depends what kind of audio you have going on though, for example playing a game with sound effects but also being able to hear the TV is fine. Anything more than that would be yeh ;) Thank you either way though.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom