PS4 switching on/off or ejecting disc by itself

Discussion in 'PS4 Hardware' started by lolo12, Feb 24, 2014.

1. lolo12

lolo12

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I got a PS4 at launch and it was fine for a few weeks but then it started randomly switching itself on (whilst shut down) and also (even worse!) switching itself off when in the middle of playing a game.
    This lasted for a few days, but then the problem went away and I assumed that maybe a software update had fixed it, as there were plenty of others having the same problem when I looked online.

I didn't have any problems whatsoever for the next couple of months until 2 days ago when it just ejected the game disc (again whilst shut down) and since then I've had the same issue of randomly switching on or off.

I've had it unplugged from the mains overnight to prevent it coming on and earlier today I put it on to play Outlast. After 2 mins of playing it promptly beeped and shut down again as if somebody had pressed the power button on the console. This got me thinking, could it be these overly sensitive buttons being affected by dust or static? I wiped over the slightly dusty PS4 with a dust cloth, turned it back on, then played Outlast with no problems for an hour until I had to turn it off for dinner.
    It is too early to say whether this 'magic dusting' is a fix or just coincidence, but it might be worth a try for anybody else having this problem.

2. leamspaceman

leamspaceman
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,325
    Poltergeist?

3. onezeon

onezeon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,539
    Ghosts??

Other than that I'd get it replaced... Or an exorcism performed

4. onezeon

onezeon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,539
    Oh jebus make my post less funny why don't ya!!!

Arrggg :p

5. leamspaceman

leamspaceman
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,325
    Ha. Great minds............!

6. samtman

samtman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +441
    I would guess it was to do with dodgy button panel. Keeps pressing itself. I would defiantly get it fixed or exchanged though.

7. wiseguy100

wiseguy100
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is actually a common issue. On the playstation official forum there is a thread about it with 300+ pages so far.

There are 2 causes for the issue.

The rubber foot underneath the eject button, rests on the eject button. The rubber foot can be removed easily. I chopped off the little end that rubs the eject button, and it hasn't happened since.

The other cause is heat. The eject and the power button are very heat sensitive. I hope Sony fix this in a firmware update otherwise the summer months are going to be a nightmare. You can test it by blowing a hairdryer onto the front of your PS4, from a distance.

8. leamspaceman

leamspaceman
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,325
    I'm not sure Sony can fix this in an update? It's a physical issue, not a software related issue. They can't cut the rubber off the feet in an update or change the sensitivity of the buttons. Those are fixed, physical components.

9. wiseguy100

wiseguy100
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They can reduce the software that controls the heat sensitivity. It's something they have already said they are working on for the next firmware update.

10. z3r0c00l

z3r0c00l

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Oddly I fixed mine which was constantly ejecting by cleaning the buttons with a screen wipe... Although the dogs can still "accidentally" press them, it seems to have sorted it for now so guess it could just be finger grease building up and a very sensitive button!

11. lolo12

lolo12

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    But the rubber foot doesn't touch the power button. And my PS4 has turned itself on when it (and the room) was cold.

I never press the power button to turn on the console, I always turn it on with the controller. So grease is not an issue for me. But dust is. The PS4 is only about 10cm above the carpet level, so is prone to getting slightly dusty.
    Since posting a month ago, I've only had one 'incident' last week when it started up by itself and then beeped and shut down again, and then continued to do this 4-5 times in a row until I wiped the buttons with a cloth. Like magic it worked instantly! Coincidence? Maybe. But if enough people try it we'll soon know.

12. z3r0c00l

z3r0c00l

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Wander if it would be better if you had to hold the button instead of just breathing on it!

13. lolo12

lolo12

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Yes, I miss buttons that actually click when you press them rather than these 'now let me see, can I sense your touch before you touch me' ones.