PS4 remote play on Xperia Z4 tablet

dawson001

Established Member
Reaction score
So I've just purchased a Sony Xperia Z4 tablet and looking to use the remote play feature. I've downloaded the Remote Play app and paired it to the PS4 but the quality is terrible.....it keeps disconnecting, going blocky, lagging etc.

I've done a little research online and it seems the main cause is broadband speed? I'm currently on standard broadband and consistently get 17MB download and 1.3MB upload....would upgrading to a faster package with a dual band router help?

Also, has anyone managed to connect their phones/tablets to the PS4's wifi hotspot as I've red this can help? Everytime I try I enter the pairing code but then it fails.

Are you using this over the Internet or trying to access it within your own home network/WiFi?

If both of your devices are connected on the same network then I wouldn't use the PS4's direct connection as I find it slower with the PS Vita and PS TV (although not tried with a tablet or phone).

How is the PS4 connected to the network? Is it wired into the router or if that's not possible are using using something like homeplugs.

If the tablet is on WiFi have you made sure it's using the best WiFi your router can offer (i.e. instead of 802.11g use 802.11n of it both the tablet and router support it go for 802.11ac).

If you are trying to access the PS4 remotely over the net 1.3mb up seems slow although I don't know exactly how much speed would be required.

Yeah both devices are connected to the same home WiFi network although both are wireless as the socket is too far from the PS4 for Ethernet connection.

I can't seem to get the direct connection to work (maybe its just a PS Vita feature). My tablet find the PS4 hotspot easily enough and I try to pair them with the code that comes up but then it fails.

I'm currently using Sky's standard 2.4ghz router so I assume if I upgrade to a faster broadband with a dual-band router this may solve the issue

Your broadband is irrelevant if both on the same home network. It's not using the Internet in that case.

So if I was to take my Z4 tablet to work and use their work WiFi for remote play, would it need to be set up differently than when I'm using remote play at home?

Sorry but I'm not the most technical on this stuff!!

So if I was to take my Z4 tablet to work and use their work WiFi for remote play, would it need to be set up differently than when I'm using remote play at home?

Sorry but I'm not the most technical on this stuff!!
I'd imagine so as you wouldn't be on your home network. This is where your broadband would come into the equation as well as your work WiFi.

Having your PS4 on WiFi won't help either as it's not the best connection nor is the WiFi chip the best either. Wired would always be the best way.

Yeah I would need to run an unsightly 20m Ethernet cable through the house for hard-wired connection!!

Strange though that I cant get the tablet to connect to the PS4's wifi hotspot

Yeah I would need to run an unsightly 20m Ethernet cable through the house for hard-wired connection!!

Strange though that I cant get the tablet to connect to the PS4's wifi hotspot

homeplug.jpg

Yes I think i'll get some powerline adapters and give it go.....don't know why I didn't think of that!!

Surely that will provide a much more stable connection

Yes I think i'll get some powerline adapters and give it go.....don't know why I didn't think of that!!

Surely that will provide a much more stable connection

It will, I've been using them around my house for yonks.

Got PC, TV, Sky Box and 2 consoles attached via powerline and it works well. Wired consoles work much faster than the one console that I have connecting wirelessly.

Thanks....hopefully this will improve remote play in the house when this missus wants to watch her soaps!!

I had the same problem with my z3 tablet. I dont think wiring your setup will improve much i got it down to the rubbish Sky router not supporting 5ghz wireless. The only way to fix this is replace the sky hub

this is all of course if you are using a sky router

yes I am using the standard Sky router!

I just been out and bought a Powerline Adapter for £20.00 so worth a go.....will try it when I get home this evening. My broadband is now out of contract so will also look at getting faster broadband with a supplier who provides a dual band router.

So I tried the powerline adapters last night and there is certainly an improvement.....its just when I turn the dualshock 4 on now that I get interference.

I am agreeing with @curfish now that it comes down to Sky's rubbish router.

Last night I called up a new broadband provider who offers a dual band router and my estimated speeds will be 76MB down and 18MB up. Once this is live around the 4th Dec I shall report back!!

So last night I followed the below guide and it works AMAZINGLY well....obviously the only downside is you still need to be close to the PS4

I've come up with a workaround at the minute, so I'm in no rush. Basically I created a 2nd 'dummy' psn account on ps4. Downloaded the remote play app on z3 and signed in using the dummy account. Didn't set up my DS4 to z3 via Bluetooth (skip that part). So the ps4 thinks I've signed in as my dummy account. Then hit the ps button on the DS4, and switch users back to your original account. And voila, remote play without Bluetooth involved. Also turned off location services on z3 (actually put into flight mode, you can still connect to wifi). Remote play is now smooth. Only downside is you have to be in same room as ps4, but that's exactly how I use it

When I get my faster broadband installed, I will try remote play again at my work address some 15 miles away

Ive got a pstv and tried to play black ops 3. Let's just say the game was totally unplayable and too Jerky to aim accurately.

My ps4 is wired to my router downstairs and I've got home plugs to get the connection into my bedroom upstairs and into the pstv. I'm also a sky user and didn't realise that the router was poor, I thought my problem was down more to using home plugs rather than a wired connection?

Can anyone offer any advice to improve things?

Last edited:
Ive got a pstv and tried to play black ops 3. Let's just say the game was totally unplayable and too Jerky to aim accurately.

My ps4 is wired to my router downstairs and I've got home plugs to get the connection into my bedroom upstairs and into the pstv. I'm also a sky user and didn't realise that the router was poor, I thought my problem was down more to using home plugs rather than a wired connection?

Can anyone off any advice to improve things?

My ps4 is wired to my router downstairs and I've got home plug to get the connection into my bedroom upstairs and into the pstv. I'm also a sky user and didn't realise that the router was poor, I thought my problem was down more to using home plugs rather than a wired connection?

Can anyone off any advice to improve things?

Im
Yeah definitely try what I described above with a dummy second PSN account.....its sounds more of a flaff than it actually is and the results are amazing. Hopefully your controller will still reach the PS4 from downstairs though.

Couldn't you put your PS4 upstairs and use the plugs to send broadband up to it?

Yeah definitely try what I described above with a dummy second PSN account.....its sounds more of a flaff than it actually is and the results are amazing. Hopefully your controller will still reach the PS4 from downstairs though.

Couldn't you put your PS4 upstairs and use the plugs to send broadband up to it?

I'll definitely try it, thanks.

When I tried it the controller worked, but maybe because I was upstairs there was input lag causing the Jerky movement rather than down to my network connection?

I'm not sure about the controller lag but you should find the second PSN account method works well.

So I now have super duper fast fibre broadband at home - approximately 70MB download and 19MB upload so today I took my Z4 tablet to work to test remote play.

The result - BLOODY FANTASTIC......it was like playing my PS4 in the same room!!

Anyone having issues with remote play, cancel crappy Sky broadband and or ugrade to a dual band router on fast fibre connection.

I've always had trouble with remote play. I have virgin so getting fast internet etc. But my nat type was always 3.

Found this website that says you can open ports on the router and that should be better for remote play.

After a little digging I managed to open the ports and WOW!

Im in the same room but my PS vita and z4 tablet didn't lose connection once or break up. Playing SW battlefront was great.

I even tethered the z4 through my note 4 and it was great. Going over my mums tonight she has virgin so will try it over there so my brother can play battlefront.

Thanks for the post @diehardest13 I will give opening ports a go!!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom