TrigFX

Established Member
Reaction score
I recently moved house and went from having the wonderful Sky Q and minibox set up for 3 years, to - nothing.

We only discovered late in the day that the company that maintains our block does NOT allow Sky dishes on the side of the building!! And Virgin don't serve this area yet either (the block is fairly new). :-(
I did some research - most of it reading posts on here - and discovered that I could downgrade my account and have Sky Go and watch it via my PS4 Pro (sadly losing out on 4K, but keeping all those channels).

However, in the meantime, before I discovered this, I dug out my old Humax box and we survived on that for a while (sadly only 1080p - badly missing 4K TV quality, and a few other channels I liked to watch!).

So I got my Sky subscription changed to watch Sky Go on my PS4 - and Sky Go STILL didn't work!! I'd tried reactivating it in the settings menu - it wouldn't work. I eventually discovered that Sky cocked up - and they HADN'T activated that side of my account , which sucks because THEY were the ones who suggested that I watch it though my PS4 Pro, knowing full well that I no longer had a dish...!! :-/

Anyway, in the meantime, I got an Nvidia Shield Pro - which I LOVE. But discovered that Sky couldn't be side-loaded onto that anymore, which was a shame - but not a deal breaker. I contacted Sky again today with the intention of cancelling, as the Shield would be enough - but they then confirmed that it hadn't been activated!! They say that it should now be activated, as of today...

However, since hooking up the Shield, I have NOT been able to get the PS4 appear on my TV screen, when the Sky Q box is connected...!!! It DID work, with the Humax box set up - but not the Sky Q...which means that not only can I NOT check to see if it's working, but I can't even play games on it anymore!

I should point out that I have everything connected to my Denon AVR-2300W, which in turn is connected to my Panasonic 50EX750 TV.

I'm clearly missing something with regards to how the system is connected up - but I'm not sure what.
When the Humax was connected, the TV aerial had to be connected to the back of that - not the TV. But when the Sky Q box is connected, that aerial goes into the back of the TV. I suspect that it may be something to do with that.

But I noticed that the PS4 Pro wouldn't show up on my screen ever since I got the Shield - but ONLY when the Sky Q box is connected up. It had no issues when the Humax was attached! I've even tried manually switching through the AV channels - but aside from the Sky Q menu page, all the other AV channels are blank. Which is weird, as the PS4 connection hasn't been touched since we moved in - and works fine when the Humax is set up, and the Sky Q box removed!

The Humax and the Sky Q box are connected to the same HDMI port on my AVR (Cable/TV) as I would only ever need one of those devices connected at any one time. I just swap out the HDMI, power and ethernet cables accordingly. The Shield is connected on another port altogether (Media Player), so SHOULDN'T affect anything here.

I WOULD like to keep Sky Go on - and maybe relegate the Humax box to the main bedroom - but if I can't even get the PS4 to show on my TV screen, I'll have to ditch it, as I do play games as well... :-(

I should also mention that I COULD access my PS4 with the Sky Q box PRIOR to getting the Nvidia Shield. But there is NO WAY that I want to get rid of that now...!

Could anyone out there please advise me what I'm doing wrong? It seems that the Nvidia media player is somehow interfering with the workings here - or maybe the Sky Q box is - but I can't figure out how. Either that, or I need to reconnect something somewhere - but I can't figure out what, as I never had a problem like this in the 3 years I've had this set up!

I had Sky Q and PS4 Pro running alongside each other for just over 3 years with no problems - it's only since changing my Sky account and adding the Nvidia Shield to my set up that I've had any problems....

Is it possible to have Sky Q, via the PS4 and the Nvidia shield all in the same set up without these issues?
Or should I just put it down to experience and ditch Sky, and revert to the old trusted Humax?

Any help or advice would be VERY much appreciated - as I've run out of hair to pull out....!
Thanks everyone! :)

Last edited:
Leave the Sky Q box out of the equation, you cannot use it without a dish and you've said your landlord forbids a dish on the property.
Your PS4 plugs into one HDMI input on your TV and the Shield into another.
You then select one or the other via the TV remote's input or source button.
Sky Go is an app on your PS4...all you need to do is login to it.

Leave the Sky Q box out of the equation, you cannot use it without a dish and you've said your landlord forbids a dish on the property.
Your PS4 plugs into one HDMI input on your TV and the Shield into another.
You then select one or the other via the TV remote's input or source button.
Sky Go is an app on your PS4...all you need to do is login to it.
Thanks for your reply! :)

But I thought I needed the Sky Q box for it to work? Sky asked me to return the mini box and router (we already have another better one) - but said to keep the main Sky Q box. This is where the confusion came up. Is it actually not needed then?

(Plus, they are connected to my receiver, not my TV - the TV is connected to that too, and it automatically picks up whatever is being used at the time, via ARC.)

No, your Sky Q box is useless and cannot work without a Dish/LNB...don't know why they told you to keep it??

But can he not watch VOD stuff on 4K via the Q?

The reason why they have not asked for it back is that he is still paying for it

But can he not watch VOD stuff on 4K via the Q?

The reason why they have not asked for it back is that he is still paying for it
I don't know if the box will still do VOD without a dish/lnb connected.
Maybe the OP can confirm if he is able to download movies/series to the Q box?

I don't know if the box will still do VOD without a dish/lnb connected.
Maybe the OP can confirm if he is able to download movies/series to the Q box?
That's the thing - I think that I'm SUPPOSED to be able to - but the PS4 won't show up when the Sky Q is attached. I disconnected it last night, reconnected the Humax - and got Sky working through my PS4 - so thank you for that, guys! :)

However, I now only get stereo sound when watching Sky...!!! Aaaargh!

It WOULD be nice to get not just surround sound (as I do with every other device on my set up), but also be able to record to the Q box...

Any thoughts on that...? Cheers for being so patient with me! :)

To be honest not sure why the suggest q and sky go, It would probably been cheaper to go for now tv

I don't think you'll be able to record without a Dish and as you've discovered you’re limited to stereo via the Sky Go app on the PS4.
Is there a possibility you could get an independent installer to install a dish at ground level?

To be honest not sure why the suggest q and sky go, It would probably been cheaper to go for now tv
Well, I'm only paying ÂŁ20 per month for it, which is hardly breaking the bank! :) But if there's a way to get 4K out of it - even if it means having to download the content to see it in 4K, then it;s worth sticking with what I have. Now TV only does 1080p HD,I believe - and that was only recent change tom their service. Previously they could only do 720p! Which is why I chose Sky 3 years ago to begin with...

I think that it MAY be possible to have this - but i need to do ore research/ experimenting to figure that out...

I don't think you'll be able to record without a Dish and as you've discovered you’re limited to stereo via the Sky Go app on the PS4.
Is there a possibility you could get an independent installer to install a dish at ground level?
I'm not sure that the limitation of stereo is to do with the app - I'll dig a little deeper into that. That may be an issue due to my set up.

I have PSVR, as well as standard PS gaming - but it's the original PSVBR, which had no HDR passthrough. I had to jerry rig a set up which included a switch, so that I could play VR games, but then when switching to normal 2D gaming, I don't lose that HDR, as I did before. I had surround sound on everything back then - and I think my set up since the move may be slightly different to what I had before, hence the loss of surround on the PS connections...

I need to fiddle about a bit more!

But I suspect that this may have contributed to my current problems....but at least I have Sky now - even if it is only in stereo! Thanks :)

Well, I'm only paying ÂŁ20 per month for it, which is hardly breaking the bank! :) But if there's a way to get 4K out of it - even if it means having to download the content to see it in 4K, then it;s worth sticking with what I have. Now TV only does 1080p HD,I believe - and that was only recent change tom their service. Previously they could only do 720p! Which is why I chose Sky 3 years ago to begin with...

I think that it MAY be possible to have this - but i need to do ore research/ experimenting to figure that out...
I just saw the second part of your reply - sadly no. Even if maintenance were to allow it, ground level is surrounded by the residents car park and lots of rather large trees. It would be impossible for any ground level satellite dish to be able to get "line of sight", as it were.

Going on what has been said here, I am now seriously considering returning everything, cancelling this subscription (I still have 8 days left to do so, with no penalties!), and going with Now TV instead. Not only is it cheaper, they also do surround sound!! I've been reading up on everything since my last entry, and Sky Go DOESN'T do surround sound or 4K, sadly. :-(

Now TV doesn't have 4K - at least, not yet. But if they can upgrade from 720p to 1080p, then who's to say that they won't ever do 4K? It's becoming more and more commonplace, so they'd be crazy not to! On top of which, I'd also be saving myself around ÂŁ5 per month, with the added bonus of MORE channels AND surround sound...! I can't believe I made this mistake...D'OH!

So the next thing to look into is would it be possible to sideload Now TV onto the Nvidia Shield...? LOL Time for a new thread methinks - unless I find the answers already on this forum somewhere...(I usually do!)

Thanks for your help and suggestions! :)

If you live a block of flats then im guessing you wouldnt be able to use the surround sound to its full potential anyway?

when i lived in flats you couldnt walk around or cough without someone else hearing it.

i hated living in a flat.

im wary of using my surround sound in my semi detached house as i get on well with the neighbours and wouldnt want to cause an issue.

If you live a block of flats then im guessing you wouldnt be able to use the surround sound to its full potential anyway?

when i lived in flats you couldnt walk around or cough without someone else hearing it.

i hated living in a flat.

im wary of using my surround sound in my semi detached house as i get on well with the neighbours and wouldnt want to cause an issue.
Actually, everything is pretty well soundproofed here - the block was built 20 years ago, so is fairly new. Plus, when we moved in, we laid completely new floorboards - and added a layer of soundproofing under that, just for good measure! I've had my system up pretty loud at times (65 is about as far as I dare go - and that's plenty loud!) - although not all the time - and we've not heard any complaints from anyone. Come to that, we haven't heard anyone else either, so yeah, I think we got really lucky with this place! :):thumbsup:

My flat was only a few years old and so is my house so that may have been the problem

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom