PS4 Pro Primary Output Port

Ron240

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I have just upgraded my original launch day PS3 to a PS4 Pro.
I previously had the PS3 connected to my tv via HDMI and optical from PS3 to an older Denon receiver which does not have HDMI input..
I connected my PS4 Pro in the same way and went into the audio settings to set the primary output port to Digital Out Optical, but I have found that my PS4 is still outputting sound via HDMI to the tv speakers at the same time.
I don't understand why this is happening....what is the point in setting Optical as the priority if it still sends audio via HDMI? I don't want any sound at all from my tv speakers!
Yes I could turn my tv speakers down every time I am using my PS4, but why should I need to when I didn't with my PS3?
I have not yet inserted a game by the way.

Last edited:
My PS4 PRO does this so maybe they all do. I have it set to a soundbar via optical and have that option set in the PS4 PRO settings. However if I switch soundbar to the TV to soundbar optical input instead of the PS4 PRO's I still get sound just not DTS or anything high quality. Its stereo.

So for me too it is going to my soundbar via HDMI from the TV while its set to optical out and also connected to my soundbar for better quality sound like DTS.

I don't think there is a fix unless Sony one day change it with a update.

Yep....looks like that's just the way it is then......I will just need to turn the tv volume down when I've got the PS4 on.
Thanks for your reply. :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom