PS4 Pro - HDMI and Handshaking fun

mattyduk

Established Member
Reaction score
Got my PS4 pro last Thursday and spent the evening doing the migration from the PS4.

On Friday, I connected it up to my Pioner VSX-923 amp, and saw that it wasn't passing a 4k image through - despite my AMP spec saying it did pass through.

So, already had an optical lead going from the TV (LD 55860v) to the AMP, so used that for sound and plugged the PS4 pro directly into HDMI. My TV doesn't support HDR, but will most likely try and change for a new model next year.

When plugged in, I now get a 4K signal (not RGB), cannot select deep colour or HDR (as expected), which is fine - it's displaying a 4K good image and PSVR seems sharper as well.

However, every now and then I get a blank screen on the TV for a few seconds during gameplay. Last night I was playing wipeout, and after an hour the screen started displaying black, then static, and did this until I rebooted the TV.

So I think this is the famous handshake issue which I heard about when the PS4 pro was launched last year. I hadn't bother to track the issue and throught by the time I bought my PS4 Pro (June), that any problems would have been ironed out, both at Sony and LG firmware level.

I've seen that if you disable HDCP in the main system menu, it stops the issue, but if you turn off HDCP then you can't use PSVR. So i'm now in the situation when I have to keep on making system setting changes depending on whether i'm playing on screen or PSVR. 1st world issues.

I wonder if XBOXoneX will have the same problem ?

I had a similar issue when runing PS4 pro through an HDMI switch. Solved by changing the video output settings from "automatic", to one of the other 4k options

I had a similar issue when runing PS4 pro through an HDMI switch. Solved by changing the video output settings from "automatic", to one of the other 4k options

3 months on and I'm still having this issue every once in a while, getting now even when using Netflix. I used to mainly get it happen when a game I was playing was switching to HDR (ghost recon, Horizon Zero Dawn) I assume the setting you're changing is the resolution to either 2160p - YUV420 or 2160p - RGB? I don't actually know what the difference is but for now I've selected 2160p -RGB to see how it goes, I've let all other settings RGB Range/HDR/Deep Colour Output on automatic.

Going through trials and tribulations at the mo with LG directly, problem I have is that I cannot replicate the problem on cue if an engineer was present and I could take it up with store I bought TV from but I'd have same issue with not being able make it happen whilst their tech guy is here.

Latest solution from LG before they send out an engineer is to disable HDCP. For anyone with LG TVs that is having issues below are the instructions I received.

Solving the problem is a two-stage process.

Stage 1. First you have to boot the Pro into safe mode. Do this by turning the system off and then holding down the power button until you hear two beeps. The first beep will sound immediately, the second after 7 to 10 seconds. Connect a Dualshock 4 controller directly to the Pro with the supplied USB cable and press the PS button to enter safe mode. Go to Set HDCP Mode and check HDCP 1.4 only. Click OK on the next screen and the Pro will restart in normal mode.

Stage 2. When you’re in normal mode, go to Systems>Settings and uncheck Enable HDCP. Go to Settings>Sound and Screen>Video Output Settings and set Resolution to 2160 – RGB. RGB Range, HDR and Deep Color Output should be set to Automatic; if they’re not, set them.

While you’re in Video Output Settings, click Video Output Information and you should see the following.

Resolution 3840 x 2160 - 60 Hz
Color Format RGB
HDR on Your TV 2K/4K Supported
HDCP Off

It's worth noting my issue got worse when I added an Xbox One S into the mix so I need to look into a similar resolve for that. Both consoles are plugged into individual sockets and HD depp colour is enabled on both.

Hi, do people still have this issue? I have tried many different ideas to resolve this but I still have the issue. If I turn HDR off the issue disappears. I do not think its the TV at fault as the XBOX One handles HDR perfectly well. Most of me is not too worried as HDR is not hugely supported at present and there is not a massive difference, but it niggles me that I have a function that I cannot use. I have even tried different HDMI cables and no luck.

BTW, Samsung TV.

I had similar issue with LG TV, bounced a dozen or more emails back and forth from LG support and was eventually told to boot PS4 up in safe mode and enable HDCP 1.4 and then when booted back up in normal go to settings/system and turn off HDCP in that menu. Resolved the issue but be warned with HDCP turned off you can't use YouTube, Netflix or any other video apps without turning it back on because it's Intel's digital copyright protection. LG did say they had new firmware in the works which I've since had and I've had no further problems even with HDCP left enabled. Hope this helps

@TUBBST4R Did you eventually solve your HDCP issue?

I, too, have recently bought a PS4Pro but only recently upgraded my TV to a Samsung 50" 4k/HDR (MU6120) TV.

All my PS4Pro Video Output settings are set to 'Auto' (but noticed that it defaults to RGB) and when playing games and in the PS menu, the TV displays the resolution as 'UHD 3840 X 2160'.

However, I have noticed that when I start to play a game, I will get this black screen, which only last about 1 to 2 seconds and only happens once, and then the game continues to play without any further issues.

Should I be using one of the other modes instead?

Last edited:
@TUBBST4R Did you eventually solve your HCP issue?

I, too, have recently bought a PS4Pro but only recently upgraded my TV to a Samsung 50" 4k/HDR (MU6120) TV.

All my PS4Pro Video Output settings are set to 'Auto' (but noticed that it defaults to RGB) and when playing games and in the PS menu, the TV displays the resolution as 'UHD 3840 X 2160'.

However, I have noticed that when I start to play a game, I will get this black screen, which only last about 1 to 2 seconds and only happens once, and then the game continues to play without any further issues.

I eventually had quite a lengthy discussion with LG support via emails bouncing back and forth for up to 2 weeks, they informed me that firmware update on the TV would eventually eradicate this issue. In the meantime they gave me a temporary solution of disabling HDCP after first booting the PS4 into safe mode and selecting HDCP 2.2. AT first this was ok but annoying as with HDCP disabled you can't use YouTube or Netflix etc without first enabling it again.

During this time I have since upgraded the internal HDD which then requires the OS to be reinstalled and after doing this I didn't mess with the HDCP setting at all but to be honest the handshake issue is nowhere near as frequent as it first was. I have now added a PSVR processor unit into the mix (version 2 which allows 4K and HDR passthrough) and I occasionally have issue where it fails to display a picture when first turning on but never when actually playing games and flicking between HDR and non HDR supported titles.

I eventually had quite a lengthy discussion with LG support via emails bouncing back and forth for up to 2 weeks, they informed me that firmware update on the TV would eventually eradicate this issue. In the meantime they gave me a temporary solution of disabling HDCP after first booting the PS4 into safe mode and selecting HDCP 2.2. AT first this was ok but annoying as with HDCP disabled you can't use YouTube or Netflix etc without first enabling it again.

During this time I have since upgraded the internal HDD which then requires the OS to be reinstalled and after doing this I didn't mess with the HDCP setting at all but to be honest the handshake issue is nowhere near as frequent as it first was. I have now added a PSVR processor unit into the mix (version 2 which allows 4K and HDR passthrough) and I occasionally have issue where it fails to display a picture when first turning on but never when actually playing games and flicking between HDR and non HDR supported titles.

Just been doing some further reading on this and it does seem to be indeed a 'handshake' issue between the console and the TV when the Video Output settings on the console are set to 'Auto'.

This setting is supposed to auto switch between RGB for non HDR games and YUV420 when playing HDR games but I suspect the TV is handshaking the console, when the console is switching between these 2 formats, hence the quick black screen.

Many of these posts are suggesting to just switch the Video Output to YUV420 so the console is permanently in this mode, which many are also saying, fixes the issue so will try this and report back.

Just been doing some further reading on this and it does seem to be indeed a 'handshake' issue between the console and the TV when the Video Output settings on the console are set to 'Auto'.

This setting is supposed to auto switch between RGB for non HDR games and YUV420 when playing HDR games but I suspect the TV is handshaking the console, when the console is switching between these 2 formats, hence the quick black screen.

Many of these posts are suggesting to just switch the Video Output to YUV420 so the console is permanently in this mode, which many are also saying, fixes the issue so will try this and report back.

Be interested to hear of the result of this as it wasn't something I actually tried so fingers crossed it works out for you

Be interested to hear of the result of this as it wasn't something I actually tried so fingers crossed it works out for you

...well, tried the YUV420 colour mode last night and it does indeed stop the black screen from showing up. Played all night and did not experience the black screen even once. Instead of having the setting on 'Auto', I just changed it to YUV420 which is still 2160p. I also noticed zero differences in the picture quality when playing games so I may just leave it on this setting.

Judging by the numerous posts on this issue on the internet, it seems this issue is only affecting the PS4 Pro for some weird reason...

I've been experiencing issues with my PS4 Pro and Samsung TV. If I activate HDR on the PS4 the screen occasionally flickers to a black screen for a second or so while playing a game and much more often with Blu-ray playback.

My PS4 is connected directly to the TV and my sound was routed to a soundbar using the ARC HDMI port on the TV. I have discovered that disconnecting the ARC to the soundbar and using a optical cable instead has entirely eliminated my black screen problems. Not sure why the HDMI 3 ARC port would interfere with the display when using one of the other two HDMI ports but it does on my TV.

I've had this issue since I got my Pro and I *thought* I'd solved it by disabling HDCP and CEC (Device Link) but it occurred again recently (playing Wipeout when transition from game to menu). It used to happen just the once, about 10mins after turning the console on. The console is passed through an Onkyo receiver to a 1080p Bravia.

I did notice that I can actually trigger the dropout (on the amp, TV turned off) by powering up my Thrustmaster wheel while it is connected to the PS4's usb port. My assumption was maybe that the pro is susceptible to mains noise/HDMI interference and changing various settings (disabling DHCP etc.) perhaps reduces the likelihood of the problem. I do have a few possible sources of interference on the same socket and the HDMI cable is close to power and LCD biased lighting. Moved the cables away and will see how it goes.

I've seemingly solved this by changing both HDMI cables (Amazon Basics if anyone's interested). I was using the one supplied with the Pro and another of my own.

Bumping this as am having the same issue.

Got the new 65" LG C8 OLED few weeks ago and absolutely love it, but one thing is causing a minor niggle and its infuriating.

When playing on PS4 Pro, occasionally the TV will just go into standby mode. No picture quality issues, no sound issues, it just clicks off. Pressing standby again will make it come back on. Was playing horizon Zero Dawn yesterday and it happened 5 times in about an hours time, so obviously fairly frustrating.

I don't *think* it's the cables as the cables seem fine for playing 4k HDR from nvidia shield without the same problem.

Have googled it and workarounds seem to be turn off HDCP, but this just means you have to turn it back on if you want to watch Netflix or Amazon Prime Video which is annoying. I've tried RGB and YUV modes.

Anyone else had this issue? It's going into a brand new Pioneer VSX-933 receiver which has no issues with any other input.

CEC is turned off on the receiver and the PS4, Simplink is turned off on the TV.

I've now ruled out the cables in use - they were from my old setup so wondered if one of them was faulty or something - have bought some premium certified cables from Amazon for PS4 pro-> Receiver and Receiver -> TV and issue is still occurring. It's about every 20 minutes on average so it gets really annoying playing single player, but it happens when playing online games as well which is infuriating.

I recently got a bargain from work (perk of the job spotting bargains before customers) on a 55" Sony 4k HDR TV and so far all the handshaking issues I continued to have with my LG have gone away. I had quite an in-depth conversation via email with LG service reps at the time where I was told it was something of a known problem and being worked on via a firmware update.

Its really annoying - not even just on 4k/HDR content as just played a game of Dead before Dawn with some friends and was happening in that, and as its quite often running away from / after someone, it kills the game.

I recently got a bargain from work (perk of the job spotting bargains before customers) on a 55" Sony 4k HDR TV and so far all the handshaking issues I continued to have with my LG have gone away. I had quite an in-depth conversation via email with LG service reps at the time where I was told it was something of a known problem and being worked on via a firmware update.

Glad your TV
@TUBBST4R Did you eventually solve your HDCP issue?

I've got exactly the same Samsung TV & I've tried all of the RGB yuv420 settings, new hdmi cables, hdcp off. None of it helps. I have, however, found a common cause - my old pc connected to the same TV by hdmi.

My PS4 Pro is always connected to hdmi 1. I also have a PS3 & Sky box. Got a hdmi switch as the TV only has 3 sockets. I tried the pc & sky on the switch. Stopped the blackouts completely, but the pc kept over riding the hdmi switch, which was annoying when trying to watch Sky. Swapped the PC & PS3 onto the switch on 2, & the sky box on its own on 3. Blackouts are back, but completely predictable. Turn pc on, multiple blackouts during boot up, same on shutdown. Screensaver comes on PC, blackout on PS4. Screensaver comes off, you get the picture.

Tried firmware updates & many emails to Samsung, nothing has fixed it, but I feel better knowing what causes it in my case.

I had an occasional issue where, after quitting an HDR game, the screen would just show static. I bought a new HDMI cable, one that supported 18Gbps and I've not seen the issue since. Can't promise it's the magic fix - my previous standard PlayStation didn't have this problem and it also outputs HDR, so it does look like a Pro issue.

How can I be sure it is displaying in 4K and using HDR?

Bought a Pro at the weekend and connected it to my Yamaha 581 amp and Panasonic TV, both of which support HDCP2.2, HDR and 4K. Popped in Spider-man and after the 20 minute wait for it to download an update, the amp said that the source material was not HDCP2.2 compliant - not sure if it meant the disc or the Pro. So, made a few changes to the PS4, TV and amp and it finally started to load and run, albeit saying it would run in 2K only. Made a few more changes to the TV and it stopped complaining about 2K and ran. But, when the PS4 is switched on and loads the main menu, the TV displays the resolution in the top left as 3820x2160. After loading Spider-man, it briefly displays 1080p/PQ/HDR (or something like that, it disappears very quickly). So is the game running in 4K/HDR or not? It certainly looks good but really can't be sure if it is running optimally.

Check the video options in the game; there are likely to be a set of choices as to how the game is output on a Pro.

Horizon Zero Dawn and Rise of the Tomb Raider both allow you to output the game in different "modes", for instance 4k, enhanced performance, increased framerate, etc

Your amp or tv should be upscaling the image even if it is output at 1080p though

Couldn't find any options in the game itself. It seems to work out what to output rather than giving any choices. Will see if I can find any more detailed docs for the game.

Been searching online about this as I just got a pro at Xmas and it does this on my Samsung MU7000. Usually a few times early on in my gaming session then settles down.
Can't believe this has been going on since the pro was launched and Sony still haven't fixed it. Never had a single issue with my regular PS4, Xbox one s or the Xbox one X.
I'd only played horizon zero dawn on it so wasn't sure if it was an issue with that game but I'll give some of the suggestions on here a try.
How have others been getting on with it? Managed to find a fix?

Sometimes I feel like Sony stick their head in the sand over some of the issues their kit suffers (not just the Pro) and pretend it's not happening.

I still can't get my Pro to connect to my 5Ghz wifi, but it happily connects to the 2.4Ghz

That aside, the Pro does a great job with the visuals on many of my games, I don't regret it at all, I just wish the wifi and handshake worked as they should. Though handshake wise I turn on the amp first, Pro last.

Hi, I have a question I was wondering if someone could help me with.

I use an HDMI switcher and connect my PS4 Pro to the switcher. I just updated my PS4 Pro's software.

This evening I kept on getting frequent picture/signal dropouts with the picture returning soon after. But then after a few times, the Sony tv would completely lose the signal. I thought it might be the HDMI switcher that was faulty but Sky goes through and that's fine, then I connected my Xbox One X to the port I was using with the PS4 Pro and seemingly no issue at all.

I connected my PS4 Pro briefly straight into the tv (rather than via the HDMI switcher) and now it doesn't seem to have the dropout problem either. This has only happened since I installed the update.

I'm hopeful that connecting the Pro straight into the tv fixes this and that the X going through the HDMI switcher remains ok and doesn't suffer the same signal dropouts. Will continue testing this tomorrow.

Any idea what might have caused this?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom