Question PS4 PRO: for best IQ (Native 4k + HDR + 60 HZ + 4:4:4), 2160p - YUV420 or 2160p - RGB?

PLASTICAMAN

Novice Member
Reaction score
Greetings. Everyone knows that PS4 PRO presents two 2160p option in the Video Output Settings:

hja7O1X.jpg

I got some explanations from members (that I thank by the way) in another thread: some said that 2160p - YUV 420 is the one to use while most fo them said that that 2160p - RGB.

That is when I got eally really really more confused now after watching the DigitalFoundry video : Richard Leadbetter said that 2160p YUV 420 is for old 4K TVs with HDMI 1.4 that don't support 60 HZ while 2160p RGB is for 4K TVs with HDMI 2.0 that don't support HDR!!!

Which is the adequate setting to get the best of IQ with HDR if you have one of the latest TVs like the Samsung KS 8000/ 9000 for example? I really want to know what option should anyone choose with the latest TVs in order to get everything from 60 Hz, 4:4:4 Chroma and HDR on PS4 PRO..

Anyone who has a PS4 PRO can post his comparisons between the two modes and talk about the differences he experienced. I hope this thread will get an official or final reply that may help many who are still wondering and looking for the answer. Thanks.

Hi

If you have a newer 4K tv the settings need to be 2160p RGB or automatic as auto mode will detect if the game doesn't support 4K
HDR needs to automatic
Deep colour needs to be set also to automatic
These settings should cover most of what you need

I posted about this in another thread Sony XD80 thread

Basically Sony need to be clearer about the behaviour of the RGB setting.

Have you posted this on neogaf? As same/similar question has been asked with quite a few responses.

Would love to see a definitive answer on this and how it effects the pro and different tvs, not that i understand any of it.

There is footage on youtube, so I'm guessing its already out? I haven't checked today though.
No,it's not out yet. The YouTube footage are just upscaled.
DICE has 24 hours to validate my launch day purchase...BF1 is literally the only game I wanna play on Thursday.

Last edited:
From the Gaf thread it seems you're going to want 4:2:0 for 10 bit. RGB will only do 8 bit.

Though you'd hope Auto will just switch when it detects an HDR game.

My TV still has HDR option greyed out even now I've got the pro, the pro says under video output info that HDR on my TV is 2K 4K supported.

Its been discovered that running in RGB will automatically switch down to 4:2:2 if an HDR game is playing. Auto will also switch between RGB and 4:2:2 depending on the game.

So I guess the best thing to do is leave it in the RGB mode and the automatic settings will adjust when a HDR image is detected. Thanks for the info.

HDR is still greyed out mate, it will only switch over or become available when a HDR optimised game is loaded, I downloaded the LG HDR chess video and put it on a USB 3.0 stick and plugged it into the TV, the picture automatically changed to HDR (I checked whilst it was playing) fantastic picture quality

Leaving it on RGB seems to be the right choice as it chooses between that and 422 when HDR is used.

I've spoken on Neogaf about an issue with my KS7000 (U.S KS8000) where regardless of whatever setting I choose, HDR is barely noticeable in TLOU and Uncharted 4, R&C looks colourful but it might just be that way anyway. The main issue is the colour banding, it appears with every possible combination of settings, it's very noticeable when looking at skies.
I've changed the input icon/name to PC as well but that makes everything look really bland and washed out, even R&C.

But when I try HDR on a physical PC (not through the PC input name) in Shadow Warrior 2 it looks great, set to 10bit 422. No banding or any problems.

Also no problems when watching Amazon stuff with HDR, looks incredible.

A few other owners have expressed the problem. Some suggesting that Samsung is only suffering from it, but others saying it's the Pro because it forces deep colour to be on when using HDR.

Any ideas?

Dude it obviously says to use automatic the tv will handle it when hdr is detected

reading this page gives me a headache...

Here is SIMPLE WAY OF UNDERSTANDING IT!

YUV420 for old 4K TVs (1.4) don't support 60 HZ while RGB is for newer ones. It compresses the image - and everyone knows with compression comes some loss., With the YUV-420 you also get HDR - which together fills up the 18 GIG bandwith on the high speed cable (HDMI),.

Now if you turn on RGB - which is far superior - as its UNCOMPRESSED VIDEO - the RGB alone it eats up the whole 18 GIG bandwidth and there is no more space for HDR information being sent... So what the PS4 PRO does - it runs a special mode of YUV-422 when you want HDR with RGB...

Just try it and see for yourself... Run a HDR game in RGB - during game - press the Playstation button on controller - goto video settings and you will see its acctually running in "YUV-422" and not YUV-420

You cannot just select YUV-422 from options.. This is automatic mode PS4 PRO goes into when it wants to display HDR with RGB.

So if your TV is newest one - it will support RGB - and leave it on.. When your playing HDR game - your PS4 will go into this special video mode called: YUV-422 (and not the compressed YUV-420 mode).

Hope this makes it simple enough.. So much confusion..

When 2.2 cable comes out - full RGB and HDR will be supported - and mode YUV-422 will be phased out...

RGB + HDR = would burn out the current 2.0 cable as not enough bandwidth - hence 2.2 will support FULL RGB+HDR - for now when you RUN RGB PS4 pro will do HDR on RGB in YUV-422 mode and not YUV-420 mode. So the RGB + HDR = YUV-422 which is a small improvement over the YUV-420...

The real improvement will come once 2.2 cables are out supporting more bandwirth - then we will be able to run true RGB + HDR .. Until then we have a knockoff version called YUV-422 on the PS4 PRO ...

A step below that is YUV-420 (but for all tvs made in 2015 or before) this is the mode they use. For newer TVs - 2016 models and up - you can do RGB mode - and it will have HDR in YUV-422 (special self turning on mode for PS4 PRO)

Here is difference of YUV-422 vs YUV-420:

4:2:2: (YUV-422) The two chroma components are sampled at half the sample rate of luma: the horizontal chroma resolution is halved. [because full RGB takes up whole bandwidth on the current 2.0 cable - until 2.2 cable comes out)

4:2:0: (YUV-420) The two chroma components are sampled at half the sample rate of luma both horizontally and vertically (i.e. there's one U and one V per 2x2 group of Ys).

and incase you dont know how sampling works - here is a lesson: Chroma subsampling - Wikipedia | SEE BELOW | YUV-422 allows for FULL VERTICAL RES - and YUV-420 only allows for 1/2 (HALF).

SO RGB + HDR = Yuv-422 (with half horizontal and improved FULL vertical resolution)
where - YUV-420 + HDR (half horizontal and half vertical resolution)
ps4_pro.jpg

Last edited:
Greetings. Everyone knows that PS4 PRO presents two 2160p option in the Video Output Settings:

hja7O1X.jpg

I got some explanations from members (that I thank by the way) in another thread: some said that 2160p - YUV 420 is the one to use while most fo them said that that 2160p - RGB.

That is when I got eally really really more confused now after watching the DigitalFoundry video : Richard Leadbetter said that 2160p YUV 420 is for old 4K TVs with HDMI 1.4 that don't support 60 HZ while 2160p RGB is for 4K TVs with HDMI 2.0 that don't support HDR!!!

Which is the adequate setting to get the best of IQ with HDR if you have one of the latest TVs like the Samsung KS 8000/ 9000 for example? I really want to know what option should anyone choose with the latest TVs in order to get everything from 60 Hz, 4:4:4 Chroma and HDR on PS4 PRO..

Anyone who has a PS4 PRO can post his comparisons between the two modes and talk about the differences he experienced. I hope this thread will get an official or final reply that may help many who are still wondering and looking for the answer. Thanks.[/QUOTE

Robert Leadbetter put it perfectly. And the answer, is, none of the above is ideal.

Because YUV420 is for HDMI 1.4, and, hence, is more compressed, and RGB requires too much bandwidth for even HDMI 2.0, when used with HDR, you let the PS4 select YUV 422, because it's less compressed. Pop in an HDR title, then go to screen settings on your PS4 while the game is running minimized, and look at Video Information. If your TV is HDMI 2, it should select 422, then fall back to RGB for non -HDR titles.

You're welcome

"presents" two options, however, your ps4 pro will default to 422 if set to auto and you use a supported tv. Those two options were only added for people with either 4k sets with no her, and early generation 4k hdr sets that were hdmi 1.4

hja7O1X.jpg

Anyone who has a PS4 PRO can post his comparisons between the two modes and talk about the differences he experienced. I hope this thread will get an official or final reply that may help many who are still wondering and looking for the answer. Thanks.

Interestingly, I opted to select RGB 2160p and I still continue to run HDR, but the colors look slightly better. I wonder if this is because I use an 18Gbps HDMI cable? When I turn off HDR on the Ps4 you can totally tell, so I know RGB mode is certainly running in HDR for me and looking great.

My Sony XBR43X800D settings:

Brightness(backlight) - Max
Gamma - Minimum
Contrast - Max
Black Level - 42
Video Output - Everything auto

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom