Ps4 Pro audio lag problem

Got the ps4 hooked up to the TV (Samsung q9fn) via hdmi then tv to amp via optical.
Ps4 set to hdmi sound output and bitstream.
TV set to bitstream, dolby digital.
Get a DD signal to my amp but there's noticeable audio lag.
When i set the ps4 to output optical (as suggested) my TV only detects a pcm signal and sends stereo with zero lag.

I can hook up the ps4 to the amp and have zero issues, but there's only 2 optical ports (z906) and the one x is in one and the TV in the other.

So basically is it possible to pass DD audio from ps4 to tv then optical to amp without lag?

next010

Distinguished Member
Got the ps4 hooked up to the TV (Samsung q9fn) via hdmi then tv to amp via optical.
Ps4 set to hdmi sound output and bitstream.
TV set to bitstream, dolby digital.
Get a DD signal to my amp but there's noticeable audio lag.
When i set the ps4 to output optical (as suggested) my TV only detects a pcm signal and sends stereo with zero lag.

I can hook up the ps4 to the amp and have zero issues, but there's only 2 optical ports (z906) and the one x is in one and the TV in the other.

So basically is it possible to pass DD audio from ps4 to tv then optical to amp without lag?
Unfortunately this is somewhat common problem down to the differences in hardware between brands.

PCM offers the lowest latency so tends to deliver the best results, the optical connection supports PCM 2.0 (stereo), Dolby and DTS 5.1 only. Dolby in particular can be prone to audio lag at more so than DTS from what I've observed.

The best workaround would be to bypass the TV and use an optical switch like this, it has 3 ports and an IR remote, just connect everything into that, plug the switch into the sound system, hopefully it retains the audio sync without the TV interfering.

Luigi Ra

Novice Member
I have the same issue, old 1080p receiver with 4k tv, just one optical on receiver, PS4 to tv then optical to receiver (I have it this way so other devices can use optical too, like a switch), but with rythm games like Persona's dancing or Hatsune Miku, is a killer nightmare the lag, zero lag if I connect the PS4 directly to AVR but not HDR and 4k for other games.

Anyone using an optical switch can tell if that solves the issue with dts? My tv don't passthrough dts directly, just Dolby but is a mess.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic HX800 TV + Sony HT-G700 Soundbar reviews, movie and TV show news and reviews
Top Bottom