• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

PS4 - price drop?

HowardInRct

Hi All. When would be the best time to buy a PS4 and take advantage of any price drop for the launch of the PS5? Do you find that the best prices are just before, or after the launch of the new console? Do retailers aim to sell-off all the old consoles prior to the launch? Will it be difficult to find ones for sale after the launch?

Thanks
Howard

jdevil

Distinguished Member
Unless the PS4 drops to £150, anything more is extremely overpriced considering the new Xbox S is coming at £249 (with SSD and Next gen features).

HowardInRct

Thanks @jdevil . We have a Sony 1080p TV (i.e. not 4K) but it supports HDR10 and I'd like to have that option when playing games.

The spec says "Compatible with all HDR PS4 Game titles via HDMI)" and I understand that the XBox One only outputs HDR when in 4K mode.

GeneticMutation

IMO, keep saving and get a PS5 a few months after launch. The SSD alone makes it a much better purchase than a PS4. PS5 is also back compatible with PS4 games.

justabear

This is the best time, I am saying this after reading many articles and experts views. Or You get it 2 weeks before the launch of PS5.

Agree with this. Having learnt from experience of hunting down a PS3 Super Slim Destiny bundle a year after PS4 launch, was not an easy thing to do and I ended up paying more through GAME. Thankfully had lots of points to trade in, etc. I also forgot to stock up on PS3 controllers and they have now seen better days. So if the OP goes ahead and buys the PS4, please buy some controllers to go with it. Personally, I'm sticking with my launch PS4 for a few years to come. There is nothing that excites me at the moment about PS5, except maybe Ratchet and Clank.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Best thing to do is probably buy a PS4 Pro second hand and enjoy the gigantic library of games which are exclusives and play well.

Anyone suggesting to buy a PS5 at launch is being silly. There are maybe 2-3 exclusive games in the next 6 months which will be worth playing, you're buying it for the highest price it will ever be... and Knowing Sony, there will be a PS5 slim or PS5 Pro.

Also Sony silently revise their consoles every couple of months to deal with issues that crop up. For example the launchday PS4s to this day are like jet engines, similar to the PS4 Pros in demanding games. The ones you buy now are silent.

PS4 Pro also has a boost mode.. and it has a 60fps mode for popular games at 1080p. So ur TV will be maxxedd out with 1080p, 60fps, and HDR. There is actually with ur current TV no need for u to get a PS5 outside of faster launch times for games and the odd PS5 exclusive game (there are hardly any).

XBOX S is an amazing price but it lacks the Sony exclusive games and lacks PSVR so I wouldn't go down that route. Also the PS4 obv doubles as a blu ray player.

justabear

Looks like PS4 Slim 500gb Fifa 21 bundles are available to pre-order for 9th October release at £249.99. So a price drop is not on the cards at the moment and hopefully should not be a release the geese, wild goose chase trying to find one.

I'm a bit on the fence with Pro vs Slim debate and I can see the merits of both. I have a launch PS4 which can be super noisy at times and for this reason I end up playing titles like Doom on the Xbox One S, which is super silent.

ian-500

I'll be looking around for deals for PS4 pro's for my 2 boys for Christmas. I have to say that my PS4 from launch date week (got it from Sainsburys!) has been fairly quiet and worked very well. Lately the Fortnite updates do seem to take some time compared to the Nintendo Switch.....

Pavey

Best thing to do is probably buy a PS4 Pro second hand and enjoy the gigantic library of games which are exclusives and play well.

Anyone suggesting to buy a PS5 at launch is being silly. There are maybe 2-3 exclusive games in the next 6 months which will be worth playing, you're buying it for the highest price it will ever be... and Knowing Sony, there will be a PS5 slim or PS5 Pro.

Also Sony silently revise their consoles every couple of months to deal with issues that crop up. For example the launchday PS4s to this day are like jet engines, similar to the PS4 Pros in demanding games. The ones you buy now are silent.

PS4 Pro also has a boost mode.. and it has a 60fps mode for popular games at 1080p. So ur TV will be maxxedd out with 1080p, 60fps, and HDR. There is actually with ur current TV no need for u to get a PS5 outside of faster launch times for games and the odd PS5 exclusive game (there are hardly any).

XBOX S is an amazing price but it lacks the Sony exclusive games and lacks PSVR so I wouldn't go down that route. Also the PS4 obv doubles as a blu ray player.

I've just finished my cinema room, so have been toying over what to put into it. Do i move the PS4 Pro or One X from the lounge when i need to (a bit annoying having to unplug the cables all the time), or buy something just for there and leave it there (it's at the end of the garden).

But what - stick with this gen for all of the reasons above or spend a load of dough on something i don't quite need yet (the next gen).

Your post has made my mind up for me, so hats off to you sir :smashin:

PS4 Pro it is.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom