PS4 passes 91 units million sold

Discussion in 'Playstation - PS4 & Vita' started by zt1903, Jan 9, 2019.

1. zt1903

zt1903
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,408
  2. Bioshock174

Bioshock174

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +792
    That's some mighty sales figures by Sony there. I hope they have something in the works to rival the xbox game pass.

3. shoestring25

shoestring25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +660
    they do its called playstation now you can stream ps3 games and download ps2 and ps4 games.

its more money but has more games "As of October 2018, there are over 650 games available for streaming and over 200 available for download on PlayStation 4, with new games being added every month."

these are the figures they quote but when i go on psnow it doesnt seem that they have that any games

4. zt1903

zt1903
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,408
    Exactly.

To be fair PS Now is a good 50% more expensive than Xbox Game Pass, but it’s arguably a bigger service.

5. shoestring25

shoestring25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +660
    another tip bit

“You do not need a PS Plus membership for online multiplayer on PS Now,”

6. Stinja

Stinja
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,152
    How many Vitas sold?

7. zt1903

zt1903
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,408
    Lifetime? In the region of 15-20 million.

Which is poor considering there was about 80 million PSP sold.

8. Bioshock174

Bioshock174

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +792
    I'm not sure I'd say that playstation now rivals the xbox game pass in that sense. Playing video games being streamed can more often than not be painful.

I know you can download the ps2 and ps4 games but the selection isn't enough to justify the cost. Especially when MS do it for much much cheaper.

9. shoestring25

shoestring25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +660
    gamepass runs at just over 100 hundred games for £7.99 and you get over 600 on playstation now for £12.99 for 6 times the number of games its more money but its more games and offers streaming as well plus you dont have to have gold for multiplayer

10. Bioshock174

Bioshock174

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +792
    Of those 600games how many are older games like ps2?

Xbox game pass releases new Xbox titles on day one with game pass. Granted that's because the PlayStation doesn't need to do that because they still sell well but these two services as they currently stand do not compete in my opinion.

I currently game 90% of my time on my ps4 and then xbox....do I subscribe to playstation now? No. Do I subscribe to xbox game pass? Yes.

If psnow works for you then, That's great. But I think the general opinion of psnow is it's lagging somewhat behind xbox game pass.

11. zt1903

zt1903
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,408
    I think you have this backwards.

Game Pass is a rival to PS Now and not the other way round. It is a newer, more limited service and discounted as a result.

Both companies are testing the waters in terms of cloud/streaming services for games and Sony has a significant head start (5 years) in that regard (also Shareplay, remote play). Personally I think PS Now is overpriced but Sony earned $0.5 billion from it in 2018.

MS will undoubtedly have more to offer in this space in the future, not least because the have a top 3 enterprise scale cloud hosting platform in Azure, but for the moment they’re playing catch-up.

12. Bioshock174

Bioshock174

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +792
    Technically you're correct that Playstation Now launched first but you might be forgetting that PSNow launched as a streaming only service. Only in September 2018 time did they start to roll out the ability to download certain PS2 and PS4 titles.

This was in direct response to the popularity of Xbox game pass. At no point before this did Sony make out they would allow for downloadable games... which means Sony adapted its service to compete with Microsoft.

Im not overly interested in streaming games as the input lag is just too much whatever internet connection you have. I guess everyone sees things in a different light. I will continue to play and adore my PS4 but the PSNOW service at this current moment does not justify its beefy price tag, whereas the cheaper Xbox game pass with its day one release of Forza 4 and Crackdown 3 just to mention a couple looks pretty good.

13. SunnyIntervals

SunnyIntervals

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    I can't imagine signing up to PS Now, I barely have time to play the games I buy, but if Sony gave you the option to download the game it would be a more attractive offering.

14. zt1903

zt1903
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,408
    “Technically” I’m right? :laugh:

Anyway, Sony launched a subscription gaming service in July 2014 ( a service that didn't even require you to have a console or a PC) and Microsoft launched one 3 years later. That’s just the facts.

PS Now launched with only PS3 games and presumably one of the reasons for no download option was the absence of the ability of PS4 to emulate PS3 games. Download came with the addition of PS4 and PS2 games, you still can’t download PS3 games because of the emulation issue. Whether it was in response to game pass is neither here nor there, both services are young and both companies will add and remove features to see what works.

Also, a large part of the price difference goes away if you want to play online as you need Gold with game pass but you don’t need Plus with Now.

15. shoestring25

shoestring25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +660
    everybody slates PlayStation now saying i hate streaming although i fully expect as soon as Microsoft do it they will for some reason be more receptive of that. sony were just ahead of the game 5 years ago

having had both services on a couple of occasions ive exhausted all the games i was interested in and theres nothing I want to play on them anymore.

16. Cord Cutter

Cord Cutter
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,524
    I sold my Xbox one this past week and I'm now console-less.

I don't play games often so in no rush to get a replacement but I would really like to use a streaming service for games.

PS Now would be awesome on a machine like AppleTV or App

17. zt1903

zt1903
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,408
    The service originally launched on Sony and Samsung smart TVs. They cut this back to improve the service but i think it’ll come back. Just buying a DS4 and connecting to a streaming service using an app on your TV will definitely be a nice earner for them in the future.

18. shoestring25

shoestring25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +660
    the problem with all these streaming services is going to be when you need a PlayStation now subscription and xcloud Microsoft subscription, and ubisoft streaming subscription, an EA origin subscription, a square enix subscription etc etc

19. Bioshock174

Bioshock174

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +792
    The facts are Sony launched a streaming gaming service and Microsoft launched a downloadable gaming service. They where not like for like when they launched. Sony only entertained downloadable games last September which was long after the PS2 and PS4 titles where added to the service. If you think a streaming gaming service and being able to download and plays those games off a console are one in the same then im a little baffled.

As it stands the games available in both services are mighty impressive but the killer games to play tend to be in the xbox game pass, now this is subjective because if you fancy playing 4000 hours of PS2 titles then your PSNOW subscription is going to be quids in.

This isnt fanboyism from me towards the Microsoft service because I do as I said before game 90% of my time on the PS4. Even if Microsoft where to allow for streaming of their games unless the input lag can be drastically reduced any gamer who spends a lot of time gaming probably wouldnt be interested in the service. (just based on my opinion and some friends) but the casual gamer will love it.

20. shoestring25

shoestring25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +660
    there only a few ps2 titles on psnow most are ps3 and ps4 titles. and having used psnow it works fine ive played many ps3 and ps4 games on it. its a perception problem people didnt want psnow back then and perception hasnt changed despite other companies getting into streaming

microsft will be adding streaming with project xcloud

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  21. Bioshock174

Bioshock174

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +792
    I think if you havent tried it then yes perception will ruin it. But having played the games available I do find the input lag annoying. I also believe the reason Sony pulled support from most of these blueray players and tv's etc was due to the wireless in the devices making the experience that much poorer for the players which then led to a negative perception of the experience.

With the increase of people's broadband speeds etc then hopefully the market will grow. But I do feel its more of casual market more than a hardcore market. Personally at the moment I would always download the games to my console.

22. shoestring25

shoestring25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +660
    streaming is mainly to gain players and therefore subscriptions of people who dont buy consoles

23. zt1903

zt1903
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,408
    I know you think thta how the service is consumed is a big deal, I disagree. The subscription model is the key distinction. Netflix is still a subscription service whether you download the content or stream it.

MS don’t have a streaming service because they don’t have the tech. Sony bought the two main commercial streaming services (Gaikai and Onlive) and MS haven’t developed their own alternative yet - other than for remote play on PC. But they will develop and launch these services, because it is (at least a component of) the future whether we like it or not.

24. shoestring25

shoestring25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +660
    Microsofts xCould is coming sometime this year it will require a 10mbs connection so 1080p xbox one s gaming