Ps4 output sound from DTS to Dolby

Bradley3103

Novice Member
Hi guys, hoping someone much smarter than myself can help me out with converting DTS to dolby for blu ray playback on Ps4. Let me break down the issue..

My current situation and why I'm trying to do this:
I recently purchased the Sony Ht-g700 as it covers pretty much every audio type, all DTS and Dolby variants. It sounds great and the sub is awesome however I just cannot deal with how weak the dialogue sounds. Constantly turning up quiet conversations only to be blown into the wall by the loudness of an explosion really ruins the immersion for me which in turn defeats the entire purpose of owning the soundbar..
Because of this, I've decided to bite the bullet and switch it for a sonos beam and 2 ikea surround speakers. Supposedly dialogue is much better according to reviews. I haven't purchased them yet. The issue concerning me is that sonos beam doesn't support DTS at all, annoying for me as many of my blu rays don't have a dolby track. So you can imagine my delight when I read online that ps4 can change dts into dolby 5.1! So before purchasing the sonos, I thought I'd try to get a DTS only blu ray playing in Dolby on my current sony soundbar.

What I've tried to get it working:
So I've found out ps4 can only do the DTS to dolby conversion if using optical out, not hdmi. This is problem number 1 as sonos beam doesn't have an optical in. But no bother (I thought), my TV (sony Xh90/x900h) has an optical in and is capable of all dolby dts etc. So I plugged my ps4 via optical into the TV, set audio out to optical on the ps4 and in the options menu on the blu ray, set the sound to bitstream(mixed). I've got the soundbar linked in via eARC so sound is coming through the bar. But it's only playing at LPCM. This would be fine for sonos however I belive it'd just be stereo, not 5.1. How annoying!
Next I tried the plugging ps4 straight into the soundbar via optical. This is something I wouldn't be able to do on the sonos due to lack of input on the bar. No luck, this has the same result.
Now I tried unplugging the hdmi to the TV. So I have ps4 in soundbar via optical, and ps4 to TV via hdmi. But no connection between soundbar and TV. Success!! The soundbar displays its using dolby! Great, so I know the theory is possible. But obviously now if I want to watch anything not on the ps4 (like built in apps e.g Netflix), it won't come through the soundbar at all. And when I plug the hdmi back in to tv-soundbar.. It switches back to LPCM only.
Note - I've checked my TV settings and I've got pass through set to Auto/on.

Question
Is it possible to get this to work with Ps4 connected to TV via optical, then TV connected to soundbar via hdmi arc? Or somewhere along the line is dolby being blocked and turned to PCM?
I don't understand why this is happening as the TV, optical connections, HDMI Arc and ps4 all support dts and dolby. Can't see why it won't do it!

Apologies for the lengthy post. Thanks for reading!

Mallett94

I highly doubt your TV has a digital optical in port. It has a digital optical out port.

What TV do you have? If it supports eARC then your best bet would be to get the Sonos ARC instead of the Beam. This way you could set your PS4 to LPCM which will go to the TV and using eARC the TV can pass through all 7.1 channels of LPCM to the Sonos ARC, thereby getting around the problem of no native DTS support.

Bradley3103

Novice Member
I highly doubt your TV has a digital optical in port. It has a digital optical out port.

What TV do you have? If it supports eARC then your best bet would be to get the Sonos ARC instead of the Beam. This way you could set your PS4 to LPCM which will go to the TV and using eARC the TV can pass through all 7.1 channels of LPCM to the Sonos ARC, thereby getting around the problem of no native DTS support.
Thanks for the reply! Great shout with the optical out port. Youre absolutely right, its gonna be an output not input.

Sony Xh90 is the TV so it does support eARC. But the sonos arc is literally double the cost.. And from what I've read online the beam with surrounds seems like the preferred option (unless you're in a larger room - it's which I'm not).

Mallett94

Thanks for the reply! Great shout with the optical out port. Youre absolutely right, its gonna be an output not input.

Sony Xh90 is the TV so it does support eARC. But the sonos arc is literally double the cost.. And from what I've read online the beam with surrounds seems like the preferred option (unless you're in a larger room - it's which I'm not).
Unfortunately, it's either you have to put up with stereo LPCM sound on the Sonos Beam via HDMI ARC for DTS soundtracks or get the ARC if you realllllly want to go down the Sonos route. Also there is a HDMI-Digital Optical audio adapter that either comes with the beam or you can get one for it. This would allow you to then use the DTS to DD transcoding work around on the PS4. The only thing here is you would then need to swap HDMI cables between the adapter connected to your PS4 and a cable connected to your TV for normal TV audio.

Alternatively, you could look at a different sound system that is cheaper than the ARC and/or Beam plus surrounds that supports all audio formats, something along the lines of the higher end Samsung or LG soundbars from this year or last year would do the trick. They all also tend to come with a wireless subwoofer bundled in as well.

Sonos is really expensive and does have it's drawbacks for people that aren't aware of them.

hippo99

Distinguished Member
I recently purchased the Sony Ht-g700 as it covers pretty much every audio type, all DTS and Dolby variants. It sounds great and the sub is awesome however I just cannot deal with how weak the dialogue sounds. Constantly turning up quiet conversations only to be blown into the wall by the loudness of an explosion really ruins the immersion for me which in turn defeats the entire purpose of owning the soundbar..
I take it you’ve tried voice mode & dialogue still isn’t loud enough?
F9828F01-0728-4C5E-903F-371C21ED6976.jpeg

Bradley3103

Novice Member
Unfortunately, it's either you have to put up with stereo LPCM sound on the Sonos Beam via HDMI ARC for DTS soundtracks or get the ARC if you realllllly want to go down the Sonos route. Also there is a HDMI-Digital Optical audio adapter that either comes with the beam or you can get one for it. This would allow you to then use the DTS to DD transcoding work around on the PS4. The only thing here is you would then need to swap HDMI cables between the adapter connected to your PS4 and a cable connected to your TV for normal TV audio.

Alternatively, you could look at a different sound system that is cheaper than the ARC and/or Beam plus surrounds that supports all audio formats, something along the lines of the higher end Samsung or LG soundbars from this year or last year would do the trick. They all also tend to come with a wireless subwoofer bundled in as well.

Sonos is really expensive and does have it's drawbacks for people that aren't aware of them.
Thanks for this. Shame that the beam is built this way and there's no easy work around. Seems daft to me!
If you have any recommendations for specific bars from LG Samsung that'd be amazing. If not I'll have a deeper look into reviews. Already tried the Sony g700 as I mentioned which is marketed to be an all bells and whistles approach to soundbars, and obviously I'm a bit disappointed with it so don't want to get stung again haha.

Thanks again

Mallett94

Thanks for this. Shame that the beam is built this way and there's no easy work around. Seems daft to me!
If you have any recommendations for specific bars from LG Samsung that'd be amazing. If not I'll have a deeper look into reviews. Already tried the Sony g700 as I mentioned which is marketed to be an all bells and whistles approach to soundbars, and obviously I'm a bit disappointed with it so don't want to get stung again haha.

Thanks again
Unfortunately I think you made a bad choice with the G700. Even though that bar has had some goodish reviews in some places, if you had checked the owners thread on this forums you would have seen that actually it seems to not have overly good user reviews in real world scenarios.

It also partially depends how many HDMI In ports you want on the bar. If you are okay with just 1, as well as the eARC port on the bar, then there are many options for 3.1.2 (or better configurations e.g. 5.1.2 or 7.1.2) soundbar systems. Partially it depends on your budget of course!

Bradley3103

Novice Member
Unfortunately I think you made a bad choice with the G700. Even though that bar has had some goodish reviews in some places, if you had checked the owners thread on this forums you would have seen that actually it seems to not have overly good user reviews in real world scenarios.

It also partially depends how many HDMI In ports you want on the bar. If you are okay with just 1, as well as the eARC port on the bar, then there are many options for 3.1.2 (or better configurations e.g. 5.1.2 or 7.1.2) soundbar systems. Partially it depends on your budget of course!
Yeah I think you're right. Lesson learnt!

I'm happy with no inputs on the bar itself tbf. Any is just a bonus! Any experience with the JBL 5.1? Heard decent things about it as well as yamaha 209

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom